PDA

View Full Version : 3VZE computer upgrade?

Big T
09-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Does anyone think it is worth it to upgrade the computer with a JET module in a 1990 4Runner with a 3vze V6.

Cebby
09-25-2007, 06:30 PM
No.

Cebby
09-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Proper gearing, intake and exhaust mods are the only things that make having a 3VZE tolerable.

MTL_4runner
09-26-2007, 05:11 AM
No.

X2

elripster
09-26-2007, 10:37 AM
For those who say "no", care to state why? Has anyone actually tried it?

Frank

mastacox
10-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Ok, I can't help but jump in here...

There is NO magic pill to make the 3.0 a more powerful engine; this includes "chipped" computers. The engine is what it is, and reprogramming it's ECU doesn't change that. Some people make the assumption Toyota gimped the engine's performance for one reason or another, and therefore if they get a modified computer it could run at it's "full capacity." The cold hard truth is if you want your engine to be more powerful you need to lay down some real cash and upgrade the engine's intake and exhaust (cold air, headers, muffler & cat). After that, it's time for some real work in either swapping to a 3.4l, or doing some custom top-end modification.

All a chip will do is try to richen you fuel mixture and perhaps slightly advance your timing. Problem is, the gains will be essentially unnoticeable, and you'll get worse mileage in the process. IMO, anyone that says they're chipped 3.0 is running much better is just suffering from the placebo effect.

paddlenbike
10-04-2007, 07:47 AM
I agree with the others to pass on the JET chip. On the other hand, the 3vz-e has a lot to gain in the fuel and ignition control department. The flapper door AFM is the most archaic system for measuring airflow that I can think of and the ignition control is rather low tech as well. I feel there is a lot of power to be had by going to a more advanced system like the 5VZ-FE uses, but I am sure that is well beyond the scope of what you want to do. Before the 22R guys point fingers, its ignition system is even lower-tech.

elripster
10-04-2007, 08:00 AM
I disagree with the others and say try it.

I had an exhaust leak where that cross over pipe meets with the drivers side manifold and my truck was running rich. I hauled rear. I fixed it, it got better at little mileage but lost power, a lot of power. That ECU with its different fuel and spark mapping can have a HUGE effect on engine power. No engine "is what it is" from the stand point of how it reacts to its own management systems.

Whether or not JET did their homework remains to be seen but we'll never know if someone doesn't step up and be guinea pig.

You can do it! :)

Frank

mastacox
10-04-2007, 08:06 AM
I disagree with the others and say try it.

I had an exhaust leak where that cross over pipe meets with the drivers side manifold and my truck was running rich. I hauled rear. I fixed it, it got better at little mileage but lost power, a lot of power. That ECU with its different fuel and spark mapping can have a HUGE effect on engine power. No engine "is what it is" from the stand point of how it reacts to its own management systems.

Whether or not JET did their homework remains to be seen but we'll never know if someone doesn't step up and be guinea pig.

JET chips for the 3.0 live off of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence from people who say "my truck is so much faster now!!!" The "seat-o-the-pants" meter doesn't count as real proof that it works.

... but, when we (skeptical individuals) ask for REAL proof (as in a set of Dyno runs with AFR measurment) the arguments get suprisingly slim... People HAVE tried the JET chip before, and it doesn't do anything magical :gay:

elripster
10-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Cool, lets here from those that have tried it on this engine...

Jet has a few products, which were you looking at? One is at $250 which is a lot less than the $400 Hypertech.

Frank

anthony1
10-05-2007, 08:46 AM
so on one hand, someone heard that the 3.slow is a dud no matter what you do to it, on the other hand, no one has come forward that he/she tried the chip route and it didn't do anything.
I do know that DOA racing folks have done a lot to the internals of the 3.0 engins and achieve maybe 30% performance gain. Which is still less than what a 3.4 is in stock form.
The bottom line is how much money you want to throw at it.
BTW, if you have automatic trans, I don't think you'll see much even after all that.
I have 3.0 with open air filter and 2.5" cat back with stick....that's enough for me. oh, I did the seaform and get better gas mileage too.

elripster
10-05-2007, 12:36 PM
It would be nice to know what your $250 is worth as far as gains. $250 is not that cheap but since there is little labor involved that has to accounted for too. Some mods are cheap but labor intensive so cost is not always just a dollar figure.

Maybe, for example, by itself it isn't much but it interacts in a good way with intake and exhaust mods. We just don't know.

Frank

^VooDoo^
10-23-2007, 10:56 PM
The chips can help, BUT!,,, They only open a door if the existing limmitations are remover from the engine, The Stock ECU does have its own problems but can handle 99% of the mods you put to the 3.0 to a point which is the limitation of intake air, The injectors could handle up to 220 hp, But if you cant get the air into the engine theres no point in the ECU putting the extra fuel in, Also the chip may show some improvement but its only changing the timing curve to be a little more aggressive, And you can pay me $240 and Ill just advance your distributor for you. Note, Not a good thing to get if you have pinging problem already.

I have found in my EFI studies that the ECU will always try to run in Staich (Air/fuel mixture for you newbies) and it does its adjusting extreamly fast and almost mind boggling.
Making mods to try dump more fuel in are a waste of time as it can already do that and will lean it back out in closed loopmode to get back to staich and running richer only allows for less knock and you can up the timing a bit more but the downfalls are, Higher fuel consumption, Burn out you Cat, Not pass smog if you need to and run really bad in high altitudes.

The 3vze was desiged to use intake volocity to up its torque which isnt bad at low end, You need to eliminate the air restrictions to make the torque curve higher and longer and I emphasize the longer part as it is it real limit.

Some of you have made mods that Ive done and notice very much of an improvement as Im one who like to keep the tach at 3k+ unless Im at a stoplight, Some being the OSR mod, Running a cone filter on the street (go stock in offroading) and a sneaky one is to cut that stupid difusion tube running into the upper plennuum, That thing takes up almost 15% of the intake path, These are the cheapest mods per bang and buck.

Toy put the 3vze together as fast as they could to be the first EFI V6 in Mini trucks and SUV's, They did and at a cost of real efficiancy.

For those that still dont know Toy's other little secret that I heard from a birdy is that the 3vze's ECU is really just a modded version of the one used on the 22RE, The finals are imprived to support the extra 2 injectors, Also you will read in the manuals and FSM about bank firing of the injectors, There false, The 3vze ECU fires all at once as does the ECU to the 22RE. (The proof is in the echings inside the ECU).

So Chips do work, Just not on the 3vze with all its other downfalls, Work on those first and the chip absolutly last, Or put the money tword FMS and MAP sensor.