PDA

View Full Version : Downey 1.5" springs

slowheelin
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM
If I lift the rear end of my 4Runner with the Downey springs am I going to have to get longer shocks in the rear too? I have ProComp 9000s back there now but they're the stock length.

Robinhood4x4
09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Not for mild wheeling. If you put longer shocks on, you'll get much better articulation, but you should probably also put longer springs in too. In the meantime, just use the shocks you have.

slowheelin
09-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Mild is the key word for our build-up for now. We're not talking about rock crawling but there's a couple pretty gnarly around here that I'd like to try. Thanks

04 Rocko Taco
09-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Okay steve, or any other knowledgeable guy, what if I put 3" Springs on an 84 Runner? Definitely need new shocks there, right?

Robinhood4x4
09-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Mild is the key word for our build-up for now. We're not talking about rock crawling but there's a couple pretty gnarly around here that I'd like to try. Thanks

The only really tough obstacle in Pozo is the one called the stair steps. I've done all the other trails around there when I was stock.

Putting on longer shocks would certainly be beneficial and relatively cheap. The stock length shocks are what limit your travel at this time and longer shocks do make a noticeable difference.

Robinhood4x4
09-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Okay steve, or any other knowledgeable guy, what if I put 3" Springs on an 84 Runner? Definitely need new shocks there, right?
Yup, with that much lift you should probably go with longer shocks.

slosurfer
09-27-2007, 07:35 AM
The only really tough obstacle in Pozo is the one called the stair steps. I've done all the other trails around there when I was stock.

Steve, Garcia Ridge has been getting much tougher in the past two years. The forest service just changed it to a black diamond this summer. You can still do the trail in a stock 4runner but it is very challenging without lockers and good articulation. It does have an optional mini stair-steps that you definately need lockers to climb. (I used to be able to climb up the face of it, but the holes bottom has been dug out and is much deeper) I can still go up the left side though, but it is tough.

http://www.sloshutter.com/robb/pics-/garcia_ridge/DSC_0056.jpg

Robb, I would just keep the shocks you have for now with the downey's.

slowheelin
09-27-2007, 01:45 PM
The other idea is to just get the stock height OEM replacements. I read somewhere that the ones from Napa or AutoZone are better than the stock ones 'cause they're progressive wound but they have no lift. Hmm, I feel another list of parts coming on.

Robinhood,
I'm not going anywhere near the staristeps in my rig. LOL. slosurfer was telling me there's lots of stuff to do out this way with a stock rig. Garcia Ridge was really fun :)

Robinhood4x4
09-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Nah, don't get the stock springs. Get the downeys.

slowheelin
09-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I think a 3" lift would be overkill at this point (sounds funny, huh) unless someone convinces me otherwise. I'm only running 31" tires right now. If it's not let me know, I'm a 4WD newbie. I was thinking 1.5" in the back with the SDORI spacers or just a Tbar crank to bring the front up to match.