PDA

View Full Version : LC Coil Problems

traben27
09-26-2007, 11:30 AM
This is over on yotatech, but I figured I could get some more opinions from over here. I have lc coils in the rear and ball joint spacers up front with some edelbrock shocks. I've always felt that maybe the coils were a little too soft for me, but I just moved to Utah and I've really started to notice it here. The front end also feels pretty stiff and like its under a lot of stress. I've been considering losing the lc coils and crappy shocks for a whole OME suspension, but now I've got another option (thanks to slosurfer haha)

Option 1:
Lose the LC Coils
Uncrank the torsion bars to yield .5-1" of lift (including BJ Spacers)
OME 901s
OME N98s for the front
OME N72F for the rear

Option 2:
Keep the LC Coils
Uncrank the tbars to give only the 1.5" from the spacers (currently have 2" including spacers)
Rancho 5009s for the rear
OME N98s for the front

I already ordered an IFS Truss from Sonoran Steel, so that should give me a little more confidence in the front end. What do you think?

xcmountain80
09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
How much difference is there with the LC coils and the Allpro coils made for your vehicle? I know we had a 2nd gen with AP coils and it did quite a number. I'll see if I can find some pictures for you.

Aaron

traben27
09-26-2007, 11:49 AM
The Land Cruiser Coils give me about 3-3.5" of lift in the rear and the All Pro's are for 1.5", so thats the same as with the OME's.

slosurfer
09-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey man, sorry I kind of forgot about your thread over there. Didn't plan on leaving you hangin like that.

I vote for option 2.

My reasoning is that it is basically a step toward option 1. If you still feel uncomfortable driving around with option 2, you will still have good shocks, so all you would have to do to go to option 1, is lower your tbars and swap coils (you will be fine with the ranchos or the ome's for the rear). This way you aren't spending all your $$ at once. It will also give you more of an understanding about the difference each component makes in driveability.

The OME's work great on the front end, you will not be dissapointed. :thumbup:

Robinhood4x4
09-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Is the problem the front is too stiff or the rear is too soft?

The stock tbars will give you the softest ride, even when cranked. If you feel that the front is loaded up then it's in your head because you cranked them. OME's have a higher spring rate than stock. Therefore, I believe your problem is that the rear is too soft for your liking.

The LC coils are fairly soft so you can go with stiffer ones or firmer shocks. However, I wouldn't recommend 5009s, they are really stiff. Go for the adjustable 9009s if you want to stick with Ranchos.

I would say go with the adjustable shocks first, then see how you like the ride. If you still don't like it, go for different springs.

traben27
09-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Is the problem the front is too stiff or the rear is too soft?

The stock tbars will give you the softest ride, even when cranked. If you feel that the front is loaded up then it's in your head because you cranked them. OME's have a higher spring rate than stock. Therefore, I believe your problem is that the rear is too soft for your liking.

The LC coils are fairly soft so you can go with stiffer ones or firmer shocks. However, I wouldn't recommend 5009s, they are really stiff. Go for the adjustable 9009s if you want to stick with Ranchos.

I would say go with the adjustable shocks first, then see how you like the ride. If you still don't like it, go for different springs.

To be honest, i think its a combination of both. I uncranked the bars a little more than half an inch and it actually seems to have helped slightly with ride. I think I'd be more comfortable with a fairly stiff ride...I'm young after all haha. I went ahead and ordered the 5009s. The 9000s were a little too pricey for me. If it really all is in my head then the new shocks front and rear along with the lowered front end and ifs truss will make me think i'm drivin a cadillac.

Marc P
09-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Are you still running a rear sway bar?? I ditched my cruiser coils recently, because with no sway bar it was almost "floppy" in the rear. I ran adjustable MX6 shocks and it made little to no difference.

I do have a solid axle up front now, but had the same setup as you for a couple years.

slosurfer
09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
yah, he's still running the rear swaybar, but he's got the elcheapo shocks with them. I think he will be happier with some stiffer shocks.

With my rancho adjustables, I can tell a huge difference when I adjust them. With them soft, the ride is real nice and soft in the back, but too soft and I will get more body roll. I generally ride around with them pretty stiff though, since I carry tools and tile around.

Robinhood4x4
09-26-2007, 08:24 PM
If he's got cheapo shocks in the rear, then that's the problem.

traben27
09-26-2007, 09:30 PM
If he's got cheapo shocks in the rear, then that's the problem.

Yep...just took Chris there to point it out to me.

Ordering the OMEs for the front tomorrow...My boss was handing out bonuses at work today. Don't you just love getting unexpected money? :)

slosurfer
09-26-2007, 09:43 PM
My boss was handing out bonuses at work today. Don't you just love getting unexpected money? :)

Saawweett! :thumbup:

traben27
10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
So I got all of the shocks in the mail today...The OME's are in, but how the crap do you get the steel sleeves out of the bottom of the rancho's? I dont have the best tools but i have no idea how you'd get it out!

Robinhood4x4
10-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Hmmm...yeah, good luck with that. It's a pain. I ended up taking apart a hacksaw, threading the blade through the sleeve and putting the hacksaw back together and sawing the sleeve into two pieces. Then you have to drill out the rubber using a bit that is much bigger than the hole you need. Even 1/2in bit is too small because the rubber doesn't cut well, it just rebounds back.

Then when you used the biggest bit you have and get tired of drilling, you jam and kick and wedge the shock onto the shock mount.

slosurfer
10-03-2007, 10:04 PM
So I got all of the shocks in the mail today...The OME's are in, but how the crap do you get the steel sleeves out of the bottom of the rancho's? I dont have the best tools but i have no idea how you'd get it out!

Haha, I forgot about that. I used a bench vise, a couple blocks of wood, and a deep well socket that had a little bit smaller OD than the steel sleeve. Basically used the vise pushing the socket and sleeve out, with the wood blocks on the other side, so there was room for the sleeve to get pushed out. This is pretty easy if you have an extra set of hands to help line it all up.

And then, do what Steve said about drilling it out.

traben27
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
All of the people in my apartment complex are going to love me. My brother-in-law's bringing over the drill as we speak.

edit: I decided it was too late, i'm too tired of dealing with it right now, and he didnt have the right sized drill bits anyway...looks like i'll finish the back tomorrow. I drove around with the OMEs installed and DANG...big difference. It rides so much better now.

traben27
10-04-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm done!! It took awhile but i finally got the sleeves out and the shocks on. I did what robinhood said for the first shock but for the second one I decided to take a small drill bit and drill into the rubber all around the sleeve. Then i hit one side of the sleeve until it went in as far as possible. Then took some pliers and twisted/pulled the whole sleeve out. Worked pretty well.

The goods...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/onlyindreams0871/IMG_0221.jpg

The work space...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/onlyindreams0871/IMG_0222.jpg

Overall, I'm loving the new ride. Those old edelbrock shocks were so bad I didn't even realize it. It was worth all the effort.

slosurfer
10-04-2007, 09:38 PM
:thumbup: That's one heck of a workspace. Glad you were able to get that taken care of, sorry I forgot to tell you about that metal sleeve. :tapedshut:

traben27
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
:thumbup: That's one heck of a workspace. Glad you were able to get that taken care of, sorry I forgot to tell you about that metal sleeve. :tapedshut:

I know, college is great for stuff like this haha. It's fine about the sleeve, you've been a big help on all this so thanks.