PDA

View Full Version : 2wd 4runner Rear Axle ?'s

Bala de Plata
09-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey Guys, been snoopin around on here for a few months, and now I think I have the question which would be most deserving of this board.

I have signs of a bent axle on my 2wd 05 rnr, negative camber on my rear wheels and leaking seal between third member and ax housing. The weird thing is that my tires are wearing on the outside edge?? With the negative camber, it should be wearing on the inside, right??

So the only thing that I could think of there is that maybe my arb locker is somehow engaging when there is no air source to engage it to speak of?? Which I thought was not possible.

So anyway, I am searching at yards for a new rear axle. So far no luck, it is tough to find a complete axle at a yard. And yes I could probably just get a housing and be fine. But I am pretty sure that my rear bearings are going out due to the forced axle angles and that I am starting to hear some squeaks at the rear wheels. So if I can find a complete rear axle without the third member, I believe that would be my best bet.

Although, I have been limiting my search to my specific 2wd 4rnr. I am pretty sure, but not completely sure that I could use a 4wd 4rnnr rear axle right? There is no difference on bolt pattern for third member, correct or??

So in that theory, any FJ rear axle should also work. Which there has to be someone out there swapping out there FJ rear end for a currie or something. I have left a message with Demello and will also go to the Length of Calling DR to see what they did with their original FJ axle, why not right?

So, does this thought process sound correct? Any, holes in my theory that could be pointed out, or words of wisdom is highly appreciated.

Also, when new said axle is acquired. I will be trussing that one, and Lance cover your eyes; I will be doing a Leaf spring conversion on the back also.

When I have some pics I will start a new thread on here for my front LT project and front bumper in progress as we speak :D :D

Oh, and hello to all on UY.com

BruceTS
09-30-2007, 01:30 PM
the 4wd or FJ axle should fit there is no difference that I could see. The ARB isn't the issue, no way for it to lock without air.

BTW if you get a complete axle I'd like to get your old one for mock-up purposes

Bala de Plata
09-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Good deal, thanks bruce.

And I will keep you updated to what I find.