PDA

View Full Version : spent 4 hours on a hose...woohoo!

DHC6twinotter
10-01-2007, 05:17 PM
So, yup, spent 4 hours trying to get the stupid "U" shaped hose off the back of the motor. It's the most aggravating thing I have ever done on this truck; even more so than the timing belt. I've been trying to remove the hose without taking off the intake plenum, but I dunno. Considering how much time I've spent so far, removing the plenum is looking more and more appealing.

Does anybody have any suggestions how to get to the two clamps off the hose? I've been using a needle nose pliers, but I'm getting nowhere. I think the clamps on the hose are a bit too small and they don't want to budge.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I yank the plenum? Or is that the best option?

Thanks all. :D

Cebby
10-01-2007, 05:26 PM
I use angled slip joint pliers when moving those clamps.

Something like this (a nice small version):

http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/7516.jpg

DHC6twinotter
10-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks Mike. I'll see if there's something like that at work. The slip joint pliers I tried have curved teeth that don't meet in the middle. I'm going to have to try a small tool. One of the problems I'm having is that there isn't much room to spread the handles apart far enough to open the mouth of the pliers. :hillbill:

It's really cramped behind the engine!

Can't believe I'm having such a hard time with a hose. lol. :chair:

reggie 00
10-01-2007, 08:50 PM
I had to take the plenum off. In all actuality i think it took me and Pops 4-5 hrs to do it all and that's counting going to get parts.

There are special pliers to take those stupid clamps off. they work a lot better than ordinary pliers.
You might also try jacking the motor one way or the other to make some room.
You might also remove a mount to help move it in the right direction.

just some ideas.

slosurfer
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
needle nose pliers angled head (http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Needle-Nose-Pliers-Set-3pc-280mm-Ni-Fe-Finish-Sealey-AK930?category=428) These ones have handles that are shaped for reaching into tight places also.

reggie 00
10-01-2007, 09:36 PM
how about these?
http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-sk-90245.html?site=www.shopzilla.com

DHC6twinotter
10-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks all. I'll give this another try tomorrow afternoon. I've got to write a program for some of my homework, so there isn't much time for another shot at this today.

Chris, thanks for the link. Those are some nice pliers, but I dunno if I want to order from the UK. lol. :hillbill:

reggie, that tool looks really nice! Might have to put that on my Christmas list. :D

Shane, I know exactly what you are talking about. I haven't cut myself too deep yet, but I've gotten close a few times.

It looks like I may have to invest in some tools here soon. It's a pain trying to fix an only vehicle. Oh well, I've saved a bit on gas. Lucky for me, work and school are walking distance. :D

Thanks all.

slosurfer
10-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Chris, thanks for the link. Those are some nice pliers, but I dunno if I want to order from the UK. lol. :hillbill:

:lol: I didn't even notice that! I just googled those pliers and threw up the first link with good pics. You could pick up a pair of those just about anywhere, lowes, sears, local hardware store, etc....

paddlenbike
10-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I know how humbling this feels as I spent four hours chiseling away at the staked nut on the transfer case output last week. What the ^*&^ kind of tool does Toyota use to dent a 2 pound nut and what am I supposed to use to undent it?!? I've never been a violent person, but had the designing engineer been in my driveway, he wouldn't be alive today.

Good Times
10-02-2007, 05:26 PM
I know how humbling this feels as I spent four hours chiseling away at the staked nut on the transfer case output last week. What the ^*&^ kind of tool does Toyota use to dent a 2 pound nut and what am I supposed to use to undent it?!? I've never been a violent person, but had the designing engineer been in my driveway, he wouldn't be alive today.

[hijack]
Ken, there's no way there's an ounce of anger in you man.... there's no way I tell ya! it's IMPOSSIBLE :)

ok carry on!
[hijack off]

DHC6twinotter
10-03-2007, 12:06 PM
:lol:

Sometimes I wonder what the designers were thinking. :confused:

There were a couple time I thought about throwing my pliers across the parking lot. :D

DHC6twinotter
10-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Well folks, I finally got the hose off! Woohoo! I went ahead and yanked the plenum off. I should have gone that route to start with. It only took 1-1/2 hours to get it off, so was far quicker than it would have taken otherwise. I would have never been able to get the hose off without taking the plenum off either (more about that in a bit). :thumbup:

DHC6twinotter
10-07-2007, 04:41 PM
The culprit. Now how freakin stupid is this!?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/DH6twinotter/hose.jpg

Two clamps at either end! The first clamp is obviously broke, so another set was placed over the second set! It still took me 30 minutes to get the hose off, even with the plenum removed. Major pain. I would have never been able to get it off with the plenum on the engine.

DHC6twinotter
10-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Question for you all: How difficult is it to replace the rear cam plug? My passenger side plug is leaking a bit, so I figured I'd replace it while the plenum is off. I've looked at the FSM and TOF, but I haven't really found a very good explanation on how to do this. Any special tools?

Thanks all. :D

DHC6twinotter
10-10-2007, 03:23 PM
And look what I found broke the other day:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/DH6twinotter/IMG_14641.jpg

It's a good thing I ended up removing the plenum. I would not have noticed it otherwise. I think the nipple piece must have been broken off for a while.

DHC6twinotter
10-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Ok folks, just another question for you all:

Is it normal to have fuel in the vacumme line that runs from the fuel pressure regulator back to the fuel tank? There wasn't much, but just a couple of drops and a strong gas smell when I took the hose off. :headscratch:

cooldry
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
The culprit. Now how freakin stupid is this!?

Two clamps at either end! The first clamp is obviously broke, so another set was placed over the second set! It still took me 30 minutes to get the hose off, even with the plenum removed. Major pain. I would have never been able to get it off with the plenum on the engine.

I guess every vehicle has one of these kind of hoses. I kid you not, I spent almost 10 hours on Sunday trying to change out the PHH (pesky heater hose) on my LandCruiser. That hose is such a pain there's even a web site dedicated to it www.1fzfephh.com. It almost looks just like that except straight. I replaced it with a silicon hose so I never have to deal with it again. Congrats on getting your hose out. Wait, that didn't sound to good. :best:

DHC6twinotter
10-10-2007, 05:15 PM
lol. Funny thing is, I've heard about that and don't even own an LC. :D

Hooch
10-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Is it normal to have fuel in the vacuum line that runs from the fuel pressure regulator back to the fuel tank?

Gas, no. The smell of gas, yes. Are you sure those couple of drops were gas? Sometimes there is a little condensation in there from the vapors.

DHC6twinotter
10-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks Hooch. It was such a small amount of liquid, it probably was just a little condensation. I don't know too much about fuel systems, so figured I'd ask. Thanks! :D

DHC6twinotter
10-14-2007, 06:38 AM
Just an update:

I'm currently waiting on parts from Northridge Toyota. Should be here by Tuesday. :thumbup:

Chapman88SR5
10-14-2007, 12:49 PM
i just had to replace this hose and it took me about 30 minutes =)

i had regular bolt style clamps on there with a flat head/ 5/16" bolt head from replacing it awhile ago and i also had a ratchet which has a really long flexy neck. this allowed me to reach behind the engine and flex the ratchet right on the clamp and twist away. the hardest part was taking the old dry hose off, it was really stuck.

DHC6twinotter
10-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Well folks, it appears I may have more than just this one problem. I started up my truck today after replacing the battery, and I've still got some leaks somewhere. I know the hose was leaking, and that is now fixed, so at least it wasn't a complete waste of time. Except, now I hope I don't have to pull the plenum back off. bummer.

So, any suggestions on what may be leaking back there? All the hoses look fine, but there is definitely a bit of coolant on the back of the passenger side head. I don't think it is the headgasket since the coolant I'm seeing is not below the HG.

Only thing I can think of, is maybe the freeze plugs in the valley, or that coolant bypass pipe that runs through the valley has started a leak. Never heard of that happening, so I dunno. Is it even possible for the coolant to leak and drip out back of the valley?

I'm pretty bummed out. I'm so busy with school and work that this truck has been on the back burner for a while. I'm tempted just to take it to a shop, but I don't want to pay $$$. :D

Anyways, any ideas?

Thanks for the help all...sorry this is being dragged out so much.

DHC6twinotter
10-30-2007, 07:06 PM
I must have the worst luck with cars. I had a meeting tonight and borrowed my roomy's car. Came out after the meeting and it wouldn't start. It has a new battery and starter and nothing happens. Just a click. Just some wierd electrical glitch. haha. I'm starting to hate cars. Thought I'd share. :D

reggie 00
10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Only thing I can think of, is maybe the freeze plugs in the valley, or that coolant bypass pipe that runs through the valley has started a leak. Never heard of that happening, so I dunno.

I had a leak at the coolant bypass tube under the plenum.
We soldered it closed when we had the plenum off the first time.
You can get a piece of heater hose and bypass it to see if that's where your leak is from.

good luck.

DHC6twinotter
10-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Reggie, was that the smaller coolant pipe under the plenum or the one under the intake manifold? I may have to try that hose idea.

I'll fire it up again tomorrow afternoon and take some pictures for you all. :D

reggie 00
10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
The smaller one under the plenum.

DHC6twinotter
11-11-2007, 02:30 PM
So, I had some rare free time with daylight today and figured I'd trouble shoot a bit more. Still coming up empty handed. I couldn't find any drips anywhere, but it still smokes afer the engine has been running for 5 minutes or so. Here's a picture of the smoke coming up from the exhaust area near the firewall.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/DH6twinotter/IMG_14791.jpg

I also found this inside my radiator a while back, long before I had my current problem.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/DH6twinotter/IMG_14811.jpg

I have no idea where this came from. Given the long time period between the time I noticed this gasket and the time I noticed the smoke, I don't think the two are tied together. I could be wrong though.

reggie--I haven't tried your hose idea yet. I've got to find a way to the parts store. My only other roomy with a car has some electrical glitch with his van, so I've got to ask one of my other buddies.

My inspection sticker is way over due. :D

Thanks all.

reggie 00
11-11-2007, 07:08 PM
since you replaced the little j hose back there the only thing i can think of is the plenum hard line. I had a leak back there too. it started out as the plenum hard line then the j hose. so i thinking your just the opposite of me.

Ok dug up the pics from when i did it.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/Photo_062506_001.jpg
Hard line starts here.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/Photo_062506_002.jpg

goes under plenum and back to rubber here.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/Photo_062506_003.jpg

i took a piece of heater hose and did this (green line)only took a few minutes.

good luck

DHC6twinotter
11-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I'll definately give that a try. I've just got to find a way to the parts store. :D

Your engine bay looks a lot better than mine...lol.

BruceTS
11-11-2007, 08:04 PM
everytime I see the title of this thread.... the first thought I have is seeing you spend 4 hours washing you rig....... :D

DHC6twinotter
11-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Maybe I should have used a different thread title. :confused: :laugh: