PDA

View Full Version : is the ISR mod CA smog legal?

SacRunner
10-01-2007, 08:14 PM
I've figured out why my idle has been really weak and would die at stop lights without a little throttle, my stock ISR tube has a nice crack in it. Any way, I see two options: 1. get a new/junkyard tube, or 2. do the ISR mod (http://www.yotatech.com/f130/intake-silencer-removal-mod-2nd-gen-4runner-75167/).

Of the people that have done the ISR mod, have you failed CA's Smog check because of it, been given a stern warning, or no issue at all? The last thing I want to do is to take the time and effort to do the ISR mod, only to have to go get a stock replacement for smog.

I have only found 1 thread where they wanted to fail Marc P (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1645.msg14790#msg14790).

ecchamberlin
10-01-2007, 08:17 PM
My ISR mod is on a 3rd Gen but not that different really. I have had mine smog'd twice and no issues at all.

Marc P
10-01-2007, 08:24 PM
They wanted to fail me because I didnt have a "CARB" sticker on it. It was only the visual part that was an issue. It had no effect on the smog test results. This year I put my stock tube on for the test, so I didnt have that issue.

SacRunner
10-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the fast responses, I'd still like to get more input from others. I'm sure as far as the inspection goes, it'll probably one of those purely subjective decisions impacted more by the tech's mood than anything else.

reggie 00
10-01-2007, 09:41 PM
I did the mod using a tube from the auto parts store. There was nothing on it indicating that it was a off road vehicle only part. so there should be no CARB # needed.
See if your smog place does pass the test or the retest is free.

If you need it i think i stashed my tube and silencer somewhere in the garage. I do need to smog this month so I'll know in a few weeks.
And you are 100% on the visual. You are fighting the knowledge level of the tech, and most of them only know smog testing. They are oblivious to anything else even common sense.

SacRunner
10-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Reggie,

good point about the tube not indicating it was 'for an off-road only vehicle,' I didn't even think about it.

Yeah, the place I've been going to the last five or six years now, offers a free re-test.

if you remember, keep me posted if they flag your ISR.

i'll call a few junkyards around here, may even call TAP for the amusement, to see prices, but i'll let you know if i need your old one. thanks for the offer.

anthony1
10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
it all depends on where you go for the test.....know what I mean?
I run "home made" intake then put the stock back for the test.....man, my TPS is also bad so I adjust the timing down for the test...then adjust it back up afterwards....:)
There's always around stuff...

^VooDoo^
10-23-2007, 11:03 PM
The only thing that would make the ISR viualy fail is if you dont have the valvecover breather hooked up, All your doing is removing the sound resonators otherwise.
The AS valve hose you can put a small filter on, Just make more noise thatway, The only other hose is the Idle up for AC and powerstering and that just an option if you dont mind stalling the engine if you turn the AC on or turn corners hard.