PDA

View Full Version : It's desert season....lets go wheeling!

Marc P
10-05-2007, 10:05 PM
I am planning another run...what a shocker!!

Weekend of November 2nd in the wonderful Superstitions...come watch the Blue Angels practice while you bash your skids and sliders on rocks.

Come one, come all for a good time and hopefully a Carne Asada feast (Mikey)

More info as we get closer to the date.

Seanz0rz
10-05-2007, 10:06 PM
im in for now, will know more as date approaches.

YotaGirl
10-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Sounds good to me!

wifesaysimadumbass
10-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Mikey will be there with CARNE!

Seanz0rz
10-06-2007, 11:25 AM
loves mikey's carne!

wifesaysimadumbass
10-06-2007, 12:03 PM
and 3 kids

freejake3
10-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Marc. I'm gonna try to make this one
as I'm the man with the tortillas. Maybe just for Saturday but
given that it's far enough in advance I may try for an EARLY
Sunday departure.

wifesaysimadumbass
10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
this will be the first time i have camped with brenden and definately the first time i have gone wheeling with him you guys are going to have to be a little patient with me because of it one thing camping with two kids above the age of 5 it quite another to camp with 2 kids and a three year old

freejake3
10-10-2007, 06:05 AM
WORD

randver
10-10-2007, 06:38 AM
so far it looks like me and the wife and kid can make it.

RobT2K
10-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Good job Marc! You finally picked a weekend I don't work!! I only work 14 days a month, I'm surprised it took this long. :headscratch:
Serena and I will be there, so you can let Makenna know her camping buddy is coming.
I'll bring the frijoles in the HUGE can :thumbup:

freejake3
10-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I'll bring the frijoles in the HUGE can

That reminds me of that freakin' Seinfeld episode with Kramer and the
can of "Bean-O". Hilarious.

Glad you can finally make this one Rob. I'm trying to schedule things
right now so hopefully will join the crew for another killer weekend.

wifesaysimadumbass
10-12-2007, 07:12 PM
hey i just saw rob today he looks skinnier.....

blacksheep
10-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Count me in. Just keep me in the loop. I'm not on here as much as I like to.

RATY4r
10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Special guest appearance!! I'm going to make this one, first time off roading with you guys in a long time.

Seanz0rz
10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
cant make it, getting rid of the old man that weekend (finally) and theres absolutely no way i can make it, ill be driving a truck to pheonix.

hope it goes well out there!!! get lots of pics for me.

elripster
10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I can't make it, that weekend is my bachelor party. I'll be resting up Saturday and recovering Sunday.

Frank

blacksheep
10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I can't make it, that weekend is my bachelor party. I'll be resting up Saturday and recovering Sunday.

Frank

That's alright, bring the stripers out with you and we can have it out there at camp :)

ecchamberlin
10-17-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm with Blacksheep on this one. Bring them out there and we promise it will be a night he will never forget.

randver
10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
i can see it now, us all parting around the strippers. and one by one having to sneak off to check on the kids.

freejake3
10-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I hear strippers like big ROCKS so wheeling is right up their
alley - so to speak.

RobT2K
10-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Special guest appearance!! I'm going to make this one, first time off roading with you guys in a long time.

When was the last time? I don't remember, what truck is yours? Did you have a different screen name?

Marc P
10-18-2007, 07:45 PM
The special guest is Martin aka Beerdrinker..... :spit:

As the date gets closer, lets get a head count and plan the feast for Sat night!

RATY4r
10-19-2007, 07:51 PM
RobT2k what Marc said. was beerdrinker on the other board. couldn't register with that name here. I think I only met you once? maybe, black 4runner with a hood scoop. Looking forward to this one!

elripster
10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Heh heh.. we actually spoke of trying to bring it all up there on the weekend of the 12th but got to be too hard logistically so we moved it to the weekend of the 2nd. Then, ironically, another event pops up in the same spot as well as this one! What are the odds.

There's too many people to ride in my truck and all that plus people flying in don't have camping stuff. We figured it would work out to just stay in San Diego.

Then again, that cold wind while not ideal for the strippers... I'll just let that one roll on its own. :)

You guys have fun and we'll make it out for another.

Frank

ecchamberlin
10-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Marc we should get a head count on this as confirmed wheeler/campers. Not trying to nuke it out just getting excited to wheel and camp next weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikey,
don't worry about Brenden. I will have Gabe with us also and he just turned 3. I imagine they will get along infamously. HAHA I will bring the light sabers so they/we can play and see them in the dark. THey are so cool and yup I am a scifi geek.
So leave me alone Rob:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/228317-stormtrooper.jpg
Cuz Mikey and Andy are to:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/surfing_stormtrooper.jpg

So post up so we know who is coming ya desert rats!

ecchamberlin
10-27-2007, 04:48 PM
I think it is safe to guarentee our food will be better than what these guys come up with:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/Desert_Cook.jpg

I think they were on a quest to find this unique cactus:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/cactus-hardon-desert-plants-genital.jpg

blacksheep
10-27-2007, 07:16 PM
I hope the majority is still going. I plan on being there. What time are we caravaning on Friday? I might leave and follow Mikey. Should I have my wife make Posole again?

Marc P
10-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Everyone is going Mike....yes to Posole!! :drool:

RobT2K
10-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Hell yeah I'm still in!
I know what you mean Eric, I'm so ready for my first trip of the season. And don't worry, I would never bust a fellow Star Wars nerd (I might confiscate your costume/blaster if it's a good one)

What time is everyone leaving on Friday? Is there going to be a early and a late group?
I think I might be able to make the early departure time if so.
My daughter reminded me that we haven't taken the old tent trailer out for awhile, so I'm thinking of bringing it out this time. It's nothing special, I got it a couple of years ago for $300, but I fixed up the interior and it's better than sleeping on the ground. If anything it will give the kids a place to sit and color or play when we get back to camp.

wifesaysimadumbass
10-27-2007, 08:50 PM
bitchin i'm bringing the kids quads for them to ride... then when they go to bed we can get smashed and really hurt ourselves... did anyone get the gps markers for the 13 steps trail or at least knock on wood i would like to be able to run the steps with blacksheep....!!!!

ecchamberlin
10-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Rob I am bringing my pop up tent trailer also. I think with Mikeys tow rig/trailer and our 2 trailers and a few tents we will have a decent sized camp. Looking forward to some good times.

Pasole? Hell yes!

So we have the core group sounds like for sure. I will talk to Ryan also. Has Josh seen this?

Some new folks would be cool to.

Seanz0rz
10-27-2007, 09:00 PM
AHHHHHH i hate you all for having a good time next weekend!!! i want to go sooooooo bad! whens the next event? ill be sure not to miss that one! another marc p birthday run with 3 people perhaps?

Tanto
10-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I will be there.

Has anyone talked to Seth about this trip yet? Is the Deathrunner even running???

randver
10-27-2007, 11:38 PM
so as this is getting closer and i have no clue how to get there. when and where are we meeting? are we all fending for are selves for food or are we all eating together? still not sure if it will be just me and my daughter or if the wife is coming too

ecchamberlin
10-28-2007, 12:01 AM
we can make sure you get there. No worries. We usually eat together on Sat night as one big festola sort of thing.

I am gonna try to actually step off from the house all loaded up at 2pm. Should beat some of the rush on the 8.

ecchamberlin
10-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Current list:

Marc +1
Mikey +3
Andy +1
Rob +1
Ryan +1
Mike +1
Martin
JnJ +1
Anthony +1
Eric +1

RATY4r
10-28-2007, 07:17 AM
I'm still planing on going, bringing a friend and my newphew 11, plus his cr80. except my dog might need surgery. If that happens I'll have to play it by ear. Trying to decide to bring a tent or sleep in the truck. Looking forward to this as well. I've only been offroading 2x up in Mohave for the last year.

Tanto
10-28-2007, 07:33 AM
It's always the same story.

One day you're troubleshooting a server and the next your dog needs surgery :roll:

:flipoff:

blacksheep
10-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I will tell the wife to make posole for 15 ppl. I think I'm going to have her make it hotter! :) Me and my wife are getting out early on Friday. So I will try my best to have the truck packed the day before, and go in early to work on friday and get out around 1-2PM.

What time you wanting to leave Mikey? Randver, since you live right up the street from me, could you head out around that time as well?

wifesaysimadumbass
10-28-2007, 09:44 AM
i have no idea if i can get out early but whoever ends up out there first find us a spot near one of those little kid dirtbike tracks so i can get the kids cruising on the track by the end of the weekend.....!!!!i might see if i can get friday off

Tanto
10-28-2007, 10:41 AM
I will do my best. Hopefully I will be out there before noon and have some time to get a feel for things again. I was kinda hoping Seth would be there so we could go on a fast run before everyone else showed up.

I am not sure if the lady is going along, so count me in as solo for now.

randver
10-28-2007, 03:52 PM
i don't get off work tell around 3:00pm but will have the 4runner all packed so i can leave strait from work.

freejake3
10-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm out for this trip. As of now I have to work this Sat. morning.
Can you say pissed. Maybe I'll call in sick on account of "I just
don't feel like going to work".

Have fun if I don't make it. Damnit - I hate missing the season
opener.

YotaGirl
10-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Justin and I are out. I forgot that we had RSVP'd to a birthday party that is on the same day. We got our reminder tonight at church. Sorry guys. Hopefully we'll make the next one...

RobT2K
10-29-2007, 12:43 AM
I guess I'll be leaving later than I thought, my daughter doesn't get out of school until 3pm. So I'll try to leave soon after.
Or do you think it would be better to wait out the afternoon traffic?

Marc P
10-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Same with Makenna. I am planning on being on the road by 3:30

wifesaysimadumbass
10-29-2007, 06:41 AM
traffic only backs up till you get past los coches... personally i'm just going for it!!! i will probably be able to leave at 5pm so caravan anyone?

RobT2K
10-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey, I just got a call saying that my TJM will be here on Wed between 3-6pm. I didn't think it would be here until after this trip.
How hard are these to install? Anyone think they could help me get it put on this week before we leave?

ecchamberlin
10-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Rob give me a call I happen to know a guy...LOL

They are really easy. Do you have a body lift? That will make a difference though not a huge one.

I had no idea you were going to get one. You are here in Santee right?

RobT2K
10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks Eric, I wasn't sure if you put your own on or not.
I rear ended someone and that was the final straw for my poor stock bumper, so I got a T17 instead of a stock one to replace it.
I'm off the rest of the week starting Wed morning, let me know when is best for you.
PM me your phone #, I don't think I have it.

Tanto
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Rob,

I tend to get off early these days so I could also help you out. Personally, I've never installed one before but still. I PM'd you my phone number.

RobT2K
10-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks guys, with your help I should be good to go.

DEATHRUNNER
10-30-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm in New York this week and won't be back in time. One day I will actually use my truck without breaking it on the way. But, this coming weekend is not destined to be it.

Smooches, Seth

blacksheep
10-30-2007, 08:34 AM
will be missed :(

freejake3
10-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Glad I'm not the only one to miss this weekend. Did I say how pissed
I am. MIkey - I expect mass pics of the flex.

wifesaysimadumbass
10-30-2007, 05:19 PM
of course...not to mention the obligatory body damage!!!

Tanto
10-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Mikey, you will only get body damage if you pull a "Ryan".

slosurfer
10-30-2007, 06:12 PM
You guys have fun! I'll be thinking of you while I'm at Surf N Turf. I'm hoping to make a trip with you guys soon, hopefully before the little one arrives.

wifesaysimadumbass
10-30-2007, 06:56 PM
hey does anyone want my old spare tire 33 1250 15 on a yota rim?

ecchamberlin
10-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Anthony
I have some driving directions for you. Guys correct these if there is anything wrong with them please.

8 East
exit Dunaway Road
make a left onto Dunaway Road
Right on Evan Hewes Hwy
Left on Huff Road and go past the big sweeping turns
Left on Wheeler road which is dirt

take wheeler basically until it ends/curves off to the right. There is a trail head map board at the curve.

We should be easy to find in that general area. I will have my white strobe light so call me when you get to the end of wheeler dirt road and I will turn it on if you get there in the dark.

Marc P
10-30-2007, 08:55 PM
BRING WOOD

We will need fire...anyone have a hookup? will there be room on your trailer Mikey?

For dinner Sat night---

Mikey--please hook us up with carne
Marc--7 layer yummy
Rob--beans
Eric--tortillas and chips
Josh--cheese and guac
Anthony---paper goods

I will add you to the list when you post your dish

spaugh
10-30-2007, 09:01 PM
got a call from Eric earlier telling me about going to sups this weekend. I've been out to the desert every weekend for the last 2 months, so what the hell may as well go one more and come say hi to some old faces.

bad news is I had three vehicles (paying insurance on them all) and yep one had to go, which one? Thats right, the 4runner. :shake: :tapedshut: :( It was a very sad day when it went and I wish I still had it. On the bright side, I still have my truck, which will also make it up sand dam :smokin: and I have this new toy to F around on.

see you guys there. And yes, I have lots of MONSTER EUCALYPTUS LOGS :thumbup:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2350/1791695373_a3c404b7c4.jpg?v=0

ecchamberlin
10-30-2007, 09:04 PM
I will bring shredded cheese and tortilas.

and what ever else is missing from the meal when we are all said and done. Seems like the spanish rice always goes to waste. We are too busy pigging out on Carne and beer! Not a bad thing at all and we'll have pasole also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ecchamberlin
10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Nice bike! KTM!

will be cool to see you there

randver
10-30-2007, 10:23 PM
im not much of a cooks . so i can bring paper plates, cups, plasticwaer and trash bags

Phalanx
10-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Ill bring cheese and guacamole :thumbup:

RobT2K
10-31-2007, 02:29 AM
I already said I have the HUGE can of beans covered. Does someone have a decent pot to cook it in?

Mikey, are you gonna need any $$ for the Carne?

ecchamberlin
10-31-2007, 05:09 AM
Rob between my pots/pans and Mikeys we can cover your pot for the beans.

Good question about the money for the carne. The stuff aint cheap so let us know if you want us to pitch in to help cover it.

I will have the pop up which has a small fridge if anybody needs to keep something small cold. I will also fill the water tank so we can do dishes.

I got the chips also.

Marc P
10-31-2007, 06:34 AM
It is always a good idea to chip in a little for the carne.....Mikey is rich, but has 4 kids to put through college.

wifesaysimadumbass
10-31-2007, 06:39 AM
i'll let you know what it cost me...i think someone should bring some smaller firewood that monster euc is good but it needs a good coal bed to get going

RATY4r
10-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Looks like you guys got everything covered. I don't know what to bring? I can bring chopped onions, cilantro, lime, and salsa. I'll be out early Sat. morning.

slosurfer
10-31-2007, 07:41 AM
Man, you guys must have some awesome gas after your potluck! The wives and girlfriends must love it when you come home.lol

Phalanx
10-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Oh wait cant forget the smores, I got that covered too.

spaugh
10-31-2007, 10:02 AM
i'll let you know what it cost me...i think someone should bring some smaller firewood that monster euc is good but it needs a good coal bed to get going

i'll have some smaller stuff too, but I won't be out there until saturday...

ecchamberlin
10-31-2007, 11:39 AM
You know chris I found and second use for sliders one night in the desert due to the menu. A slider doubles as a Oh $hi.. handle, literally. Can you say explosive movement? One cheak and one hand peeing from the wrong place!

But yes it is know to produce methane gas.

Seanz0rz
10-31-2007, 03:15 PM
and yet you laugh at my posting of the bumper dumper.... at least that had a full seat. all you gots to do is put a bucket with a bag under it...

http://www.bumperdumper.com/art/turkey1.jpg

wifesaysimadumbass
10-31-2007, 04:57 PM
i love the bumper dumper... i wish i had a gold plated one!!!

slosurfer
10-31-2007, 07:57 PM
You know chris I found and second use for sliders one night in the desert due to the menu. A slider doubles as a Oh $hi.. handle, literally. Can you say explosive movement? One cheak and one hand peeing from the wrong place!

But yes it is know to produce methane gas.

LOL, a guess that is another good reason to go with kickouts on the sliders.

ecchamberlin
10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Dude that is a great point! THat would have really worked a lot better.

Sean I have a bucket pooper now. I bought the 5 gal bucket toilet seat thing on ebay. It is great! Cannot wait to use it to it's full potential.

We goin wheelin!

Tanto
11-01-2007, 07:57 AM
I am stoked to go wheeling.

I will definitely be looking to go on a night run to test my lights out. The last time I used them I got pulled over by the Po Po so I am looking forward to really using them.

Tanto
11-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Brad - When are you showing up? If you're getting out there early, we could go on a run.

blacksheep
11-01-2007, 08:38 AM
I will be on the road by 4PM if anyone cares to meet up and join. See you guys tomm. What day is the cook out fri or sat night?

Tanto
11-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Anthony
I have some driving directions for you. Guys correct these if there is anything wrong with them please.

8 East
exit Dunaway Road
make a left onto Dunaway Road
Right on Evan Hewes Hwy
Left on Huff Road and go past the big sweeping turns
Left on Wheeler road which is dirt

take wheeler basically until it ends/curves off to the right. There is a trail head map board at the curve.

We should be easy to find in that general area. I will have my white strobe light so call me when you get to the end of wheeler dirt road and I will turn it on if you get there in the dark.

I think that right after you make the LEFT on Wheeler Road, you need to take the first offshoot to your right and then follow that past the sign for Superstition Park until you see a much smaller sign all by itself. Just past that is where I think we will be camping.

If you end up at a dead-end, you missed the turn and you're at the firing pits.

Or am I completely wrong on that?

======================
Directions from Alpine, CA

Drive:
82.2 mi – about 1 hour 26 mins

1. On to I-8 E 66.9 mi 58 mins

2. Take exit 101 for Dunaway Rd 0.3 mi

3. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Plaster City 118 ft

4. Turn left at Dunaway Rd 1.6 mi 4 mins

5. Turn right at Evan Hewes Hwy 4.3 mi 5 mins

6. Turn left at Huff Rd 6.4 mi 8 mins

7. Turn left at Wheeler Rd 1.5 mi 7 mins

8. Turn right to stay on Wheeler Rd

randver
11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
firing pits. are we going to do some shoting too?

spaugh
11-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Brad - When are you showing up? If you're getting out there early, we could go on a run.

ill be there at 11am on saturday. I can't get up early like you navy dudes. We can definetly do a run though.

No shooting at superstition.

ecchamberlin
11-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I think the shooting areas are private gun clubs...

Good point with the redirect on wheeler road. I just always stay on the main road because the optional offshoot of wheeler is a smaller less traveled road. It is easy to go the right way. Head towards all the RV's!

blacksheep
11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Can't get any better...
http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USCA0798?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

ecchamberlin
11-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Yup that looks good.

Like Marc said before... we all need to bring some firewood. Only place I know to get it is the grocery store bundles which are expensive but that is what is available.

Phalanx
11-01-2007, 07:56 PM
What time is everyone heading out? I:ll be on the road by 3:30-4:30 from north county 15/56 area.

wifesaysimadumbass
11-01-2007, 08:08 PM
i'll be off at 4 and i'll need to load the trailer so i'm guessing i'll be good to go by 5:30

Marc P
11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
I am taking most of the day off tomorrow, and plan on hitting the road between 3-3:30

PLEASE BRING WOOD

ecchamberlin
11-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Got Wood?

I am going to try to leave around 2:00 if I can. We will see. You know how the kids slow things down some.

Ryan if you see this tonight give me a call. I still have some of your camping gear in my garage stored from while you were deployed.

randver
11-01-2007, 08:49 PM
i plan to leave from work so 330-4

wifesaysimadumbass
11-01-2007, 09:03 PM
bitchin let me get ahold of some of ryans camping gear before we get out to the dez...hehehe.....

randver
11-01-2007, 09:09 PM
post up if you needs any camp gear. i will see what i have to spare.

Tanto
11-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the offer, Mikey! :flipoff: I will contribute to the Carne Asada fund since everybody else is bringing something and you will probably be getting a butt-load of Carne!!

I will try and grab a couple bundles of wood from the gas station on my way there.

wifesaysimadumbass
11-02-2007, 06:42 AM
anyone wanting to caravan call me 619 279 2177

blacksheep
11-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Eric, what is your number incase I lost it. My wife by 2, in that case I should be on the road by 3. I just need a contact # so when I get out there in the area I can call and find you guys. I used google map and sort of mapped where the campsite would be. But if any one else has a better map they can post, that would be great. See you guys tonight.

Tanto
11-02-2007, 10:10 AM
The campsite will be on the side of Superstition Mountain that you come in on (the one that has the dunes. Usually we camp to the left of where all the big RV's are at.

Woohoo! I am out the door and on the road.

At some point I will hook up my CB radio and monitor channel 20 but my cell number will be the best way to reach me out there.

blacksheep
11-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Mikey, Throw the e-brake in for me would ya? :)

RATY4r
11-02-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm leaving tomorrow at ~6am. Don't wan to leave my dog by herself for 2 nights. Looks like I'm going solo. See you guys then! I'll pick up a few bundles of wood as well.

Tanto
11-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I am out here on Wheeler road and ID anybody has a 33x10.5 tire in decent shape i could use it out here.

Tanto
11-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Nevermind my last post. I am good to go now. Be on the lookout for a kickass video from Josh while we were on a night run!