PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest problem you've ever had with your vehicle?

DHC6twinotter
10-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Anybody have any really strange mechanical problem on your vehicle? Something that absolutely makes no sense. I'll start with something that happend to me a while back:

This was all back when I was going to community college. Everytime I would drive home, there was this one particular intersection that I enjoyed taking a fast right turn on. I have no clue why it was so fun, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyways, after doing this day in and day out, my truck starting shutting off whenever I took this turn. I mean, everything would shut down; the radio, lights, engine, power steering, EVERYTHING. As soon as I rolled through the remainder of the curve and straightened it back out, it would come back to life--almost like nothing happened. It was the strangest thing I had ever seen a vehicle do, yet it only happened only at this interesection. It was like an EMP was set off under my truck.

After weeks of trying to figure out what was wrong, I finally found the culprit. I noticed that one of my battery cables had the insulation rubbed completely off. It was so bad, that even some of the wire strands themselves had frayed. Upon farther investigation, I found that there was no tie down holding my battery down, just some bungee cords. Come to find out, everytime I took the corner fast, my battery would slide over, and the battery cable would rub against the power steering pulley. After this was going on for a bit, enough of the cable insulation was rubbed off to allow the cable strands to come in direct contact with the pulley. This would then ground out the electrical system and shut down the whole truck. Needless to say, I quickly fixed the wire, and it now works much better. I bought a real battery tie down too. :D

Anybody have any strange occurances like this?

calrockx
10-07-2007, 07:51 PM
ha, that's funny.

i haven't had any weird probelms with my truck. hardly any problems on its own, just from me beating it offroad. but i've been good the past year or so, minimal maintenance. yay.

when i first got the truck, it had some strange greasy substance leaking on to the front passenger kick panel. took it to the dealer, they said it was "cosmoline" and that was that, never saw it again.

Seanz0rz
10-07-2007, 08:33 PM
my studdering problem from 1500 - 1900 rpm while in OD. i guess i fixed it with new plugs and wires, but its just so weird!

i do have this weird groaning coming from what i think is the rear axle when flexing on offroad trails. first noticed it in big bear, and heard it every time since. really strange but i havent had time to figure it out.

calrockx
10-07-2007, 09:00 PM
i do have this weird groaning coming from what i think is the rear axle when flexing on offroad trails. first noticed it in big bear, and heard it every time since. really strange but i havent had time to figure it out.

i had something like that for a little while, turned out to be the rear driveshaft hitting the gastank.

Seanz0rz
10-07-2007, 09:09 PM
hrm, ill have to check that, i dont think it is though. last time i inspected, both looked untouched.

Texas Jim
10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Anybody have any really strange mechanical problem on your vehicle? Something that absolutely makes no sense. I'll start with something that happend to me a while back:

This was all back when I was going to community college. Everytime I would drive home, there was this one particular intersection that I enjoyed taking a fast right turn on. I have no clue why it was so fun, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyways, after doing this day in and day out, my truck starting shutting off whenever I took this turn. I mean, everything would shut down; the radio, lights, engine, power steering, EVERYTHING. As soon as I rolled through the remainder of the curve and straightened it back out, it would come back to life--almost like nothing happened. It was the strangest thing I had ever seen a vehicle do, yet it only happened only at this interesection. It was like an EMP was set off under my truck.

After weeks of trying to figure out what was wrong, I finally found the culprit. I noticed that one of my battery cables had the insulation rubbed completely off. It was so bad, that even some of the wire strands themselves had frayed. Upon farther investigation, I found that there was no tie down holding my battery down, just some bungee cords. Come to find out, everytime I took the corner fast, my battery would slide over, and the battery cable would rub against the power steering pulley. After this was going on for a bit, enough of the cable insulation was rubbed off to allow the cable strands to come in direct contact with the pulley. This would then ground out the electrical system and shut down the whole truck. Needless to say, I quickly fixed the wire, and it now works much better. I bought a real battery tie down too. :D

Anybody have any strange occurrences like this?

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :clap:
I am going to have to say it will be very tuff beating that one!!! Your lucky to have figured it out!! lol TJ

all_terrain17
10-10-2007, 08:37 AM
My tach is possessed. Sometimes idling it just drops to zero. Then it will oscillate around 1000 or so. After a while it's right on.

cooldry
10-10-2007, 09:51 AM
The strangest thing that happened to me was the stupid intermittent starter issues. In the end, bad solenoid. But a friend of mine who is a mechanic had this lady bring in this car one day. She complained every time she made a left turn the engine would make a thump. They checked it out and surely enough, whenever they made a left turn, it would go thump. They trouble shot it for over an hour. Couldn't figure it out. Ended up being a bowling ball in the trunk. They were pissed but couldn't help but laugh either.

DHC6twinotter
10-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I had something similar to tha happen as well. I used to have a wierd clunky noise come from the rear of the vehicle whenever I came to a stop. I spent forever trying to figure out what was clunking around in the back. Checked my spare tire, junk in my storage compartments, everything I could think of. After all this searching, it turned out to be my jack. It was sliding back and forth under my rear seat. :chair: