reggie 00
10-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Is that a Nova?

And how did you make it look so cool.
Had to have taken hours

oly884
10-07-2007, 08:49 PM
It's a supernova.

went to walmart and got the krylon camo color spray paint.

Took the gun apart, masked off the areas that had tight tolerances, and did a coat of tan for the base. I then took some tall grass and a pine branch and used that as a template. You just hold the branch up to the gun and do quick bursts with brown, green, and black. You do a couple iterations of that then go back with the tan.

It's really about doing it free hand with no pattern really kept in mind. Just grab some plants (anything from your area) and use that as a template. I'm going to go back and do a few more areas with the pine template.

My next job is my 10/22. I'm going to do a snow camo on that one.

reggie 00
10-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Cool. I have seen it done maybe once and am giving it some serious thought.

How do you like the Shotgun itself?
I have been looking at the Benelli or the 870. Of course you can find both good and bad for both, but i do not know anyone who has the Benelli.

oly884
10-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, I'd say the 870 if you plan on getting any other barrels for it (ie. home defense, bird, and/or slug)

Benelli doesn't have much in the way of aftermarket parts. The 870 has a plethora of parts.

Now, on the other hand, you can use 3-1/2" shells in the benelli, and with the comfort-tech stock, they are very manageable.

This shotgun (even with the 18" barrel) has got grouse, and many other flying birds. It also comes with me and handful of 3-1/2" buckshots if I come across a hungry bear.

I will say that I really like my gun and wouldn't trade it. However, both of my buddies prefer the 870. Sorry if I'm not much help, but I will say that you won't be disappointed with the benelli.

Texas Jim
10-07-2007, 09:53 PM
David, your shot gun looks unbelievable!! You know the old "saying that a little is enough!!" I think you don't need to do any more painting to it!! It really looks great!! TJ

Reggie, that 870 is an all around great gun and I would think it should be "a must have," for any sportsmen to have in their collection. Especially when the collection is just getting started. It's inexpensive to get, they will handle 3 inch mags, (which can be purchased at almost any place that sells shells,) All the barrels are easy enough to get your hands on. It makes a great starting shotgun in the 12 gage size. Plus till you decide you want to hunt duck, upland game, (Pheasant quail)Skeet,trap, or Deer with a rifled slug barrel. The 870 is the way to go and keep the cost down till you figure out what you really want.

oly884
10-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks TJ!

You are right about the 870, the kicker for me on the supernova was the 3-1/2" shells. I've had it for over a year now and I'm still plenty happy with it.

reggie 00
10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys.

My brother has an 870. and i shot it a bunch in the Navy.It is pretty easy to use. The gun will be a duck,upland game bird rig.

I saw the Benelli and was going for different. I can almost guarantee that I'll end up with both as i cant see having too many guns as a bad thing. Like Oly said it will do 3 1/2 so Goose might end up on the menu too.

Just trolling for info till i get some dollars together. My cousin just got a new auto loader and wants to go shoot skeet. told him i'll have a shotgun around my b-day.

bamachem
10-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Cool. I have seen it done maybe once and am giving it some serious thought.

here's how:

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=286.msg24011#msg24011

BruceTS
10-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Did somebody mention a Benelli?

My all time favorite Super 90 model 3 with ghost ring sights..........
http://bruce.calrockx.com/4runner/misc/twins2.jpg

Texas Jim
10-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Bruce, great looking slug weapon!!! Looks a lot like my Windchester 1300 with the same rear stock and a three point sling along with a mep pro light mounted to the side of the mag. I have mine set up simply to wave in the face of bail jumpers..... It's very convincing!! LOL One thing about a pump shot gun is that if you can hear it, rack a round into the chamber, there is no other sound that it can be. Never fails to bring a room to silence!! LOL TJ

Speaking of assult shot guns a company in Florida makes a great shoulder rig for a model 1200/1300 shotgun it's called the Fire power rig. It was made for Narcotics Agents. That company is www.andrewsleather.com great company and fine holsters to boot... TJ

BruceTS
10-08-2007, 09:32 PM
One thing about a pump shot gun is that if you can hear it, rack a round into the chamber, there is no other sound that can be. Never fails to bring a room to silence!! LOL TJ

But mine is both pump and semi auto..... The best part is it can handle very light loads, if it don't cycle in auto simply switch to pump.

Cheese
10-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Looks great dude.

I really like the Novas and Benelli's as a brand.

I hunt with 870's, my bro has a Nova. Yeah, I can shoot 3.5" Mags out of my 870, it is a Super Mag, but they are BRUTAL. I am a big cat and am pretty recoil tolerant, but those things kill me. The stock, as Oly said, seems to make a difference. If you want real pleasant, step up to the Super Black Eagle.

oly884
10-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to try a Duracoat kit for one of my next guns, I hear they are very nice kits they send you.

gilby4runner
10-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Looks Great!!!!
Ive shot the Super Black Eagle (duck hunting) and i love it. I let my friend use it during a shooting competition this weekend and it worked very well for him. He is in a wheel chair and the low recoil was what he needed. I shot my Beretta over and under and my shoulder still hurts. The 870 is a must for any collection. It has served me well in the water, dust, mud or any other situation i have had it in. It even makes a good boat paddle for those desperate moments!