PDA

View Full Version : front end clank

ABryan
10-08-2007, 06:17 PM
So on this 99 4runner SR5 that i have i have noticed noise from the front end It is a clanking sound. If i am in reverse (such as backing out of the driveway) and then put it in drive, after about 1 full revolution of the tire there is this sound. I know that it could be one of about a thousand possibilities but i believe that it is in the drive line somewhere. I do not think that it is in any of the steering or suspension components. I think that it just the front end engaging and disengaging. is this common?? i had a 91 pathfinder at one point and it did not make this sound nor does my 84 cj. I just want to know if this is something i should look into or if it is normal. thanks for all Ya'lls help.

04 Rocko Taco
10-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Check your CV boots, and if they are torn, regrease for now, and replace ASAP.

ABryan
10-08-2007, 06:54 PM
i have inspected the CV boots and there does not appear to be anything torn or damaged or leaking. It is possible that i overlooked it but it looks good for now...

Seanz0rz
10-08-2007, 07:01 PM
check for anything interfereing with the tires, such as the inner fenders and splash guards and the like

Good Times
10-08-2007, 07:52 PM
maybe your rear driveshaft is binding? check both front and rear driveshafts. maybe it needs to be lubed.

JB_96LTD
10-09-2007, 02:47 PM
maybe your rear driveshaft is binding? check both front and rear driveshafts. maybe it needs to be lubed.

X2 on the greasing. My 96 was making a similar noise only when going from reverse to drive on the shifter. When I greased my zerk fittings on the drive shafts, the clank seemed to be minimized. I would recommend a good synthetic grease.