PDA

View Full Version : Coveralls - disposables better than standard?

Bob98SR5
10-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Ok, i'm tired of scrubbing myself every night after working on the 4runner and lately, the mercedes. im about to buy something, but not sure if i shoudl buy the disposable kind or just a regular ol' set of coveralls.

for those of you who have them, what's your opinion?

bob

YotaGirl
10-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Justin has regular coveralls that he likes pretty well. The only down side I really see is having to wash them in the washer. I would recommend washing them by themselves so you don't get grease on your regular clothes. Now Justin just uses his LA city uniforms cause they wash them for free!

Once my welding class starts I'm planning to get my own set of coveralls.

Neither of us has tried the disposable kind.

xonetruthcrewx
10-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Regular coveralls for sure. Throw them in the wash when they are dirty. If they are super dirty, take them to the laundry mat and trash their washers.

Bighead
10-09-2007, 07:19 AM
I use my old Nomex flight suits when working on the 4Runner or Cruiser. One advantage of retiring from the Air Force ;) . Maybe take a look at a military surplus store to see if they have any for sale.

MTL_4runner
10-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Regular coveralls for sure. Throw them in the wash when they are dirty. If they are super dirty, take them to the laundry mat and trash their washers.

Ditto, I much prefer just regular coveralls for most stuff unless I'm doing something really messy like a tranny pan.

cooldry
10-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I say regular also. I sometimes use what the guys use at work, and they wash it for free. But if you don't want to screw up your laundry machine, I guess you can take it to the drycleaners when it gets really bad. Let them deal with it. They'll probably hate you, but that's what they're there for.

surf4runner
10-10-2007, 10:16 AM

exactly!

the disposible i get from work only last 1-2 trips underneath the 4runner before they are trashed/ripped/oiled. the old coveralls are fairly clean:spit: after many washes/uses

Bob98SR5
10-10-2007, 12:57 PM
ok, i found some nomex ones that start at $10 on ebay. cool :) thanks for the advice, guys

Robinhood4x4
10-10-2007, 07:22 PM
The $10 ones are usually used. Lots of people sell brand new ones. If you buy new, be sure to wash them first. My legs got all itchy the first time I wore them.

Erich_870
10-16-2007, 09:20 AM
I get sale emails from Botach Tatical and they have Point Blank Utility Coverall's on clearance for $6.95 http://www.botachtactical.com/poblutco.html

I think I'm going to pick up a set. They aren't nomex like the flight suits, but they are cheap and look similar :D

And they claim to be made in the USA! :flipoff: (Take that China)

Erich

Bob98SR5
10-16-2007, 11:02 AM
eric,

thats great news and thanks for the lead b/c i got outbid. some guy paid $40 for the used nomex suit that i bid on

04 Rocko Taco
10-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks a lot Erich!! I too, picked up a couple of sets of the coveralls!!

Robinhood4x4
10-16-2007, 12:53 PM
40 for used is too much. My new coveralls were $40.

Good Times
10-16-2007, 06:17 PM
holy crap erich, that is a great find!!!

hey bob, u gonna get it at bt? if so throw me a large OD :)

Bob98SR5
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM
holy crap erich, that is a great find!!!

hey bob, u gonna get it at bt? if so throw me a large OD :)

Jeez, I can't believe how cheap this is.

Lance, I got one for you, dont worry:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/flowerdepotstore_1972_2488947 :thumbup:

Cheese
10-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Because the visual is amusing, I usually work in bib overalls instead of coveralls. I find that to get coveralls that fit, they are either huge, stop arm movement or circumscribe me.

As a result, in the summer time, I work in only bib overalls and usually sandals. The funny thing is having to make a parts run. Hillbilly Deluxe!

I think most of you guys who can make these things fit are pretty skinny, right? I just keep a supply of crappy shirts and call it good since I can never get them to fit.

Bob98SR5
10-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Erich, you ROCK!

ok, i got the coveralls today. fearing the worst, i am pleased because the material is not paper thin. it is actually a good thickness. For 7 bucks, man, what a friggin' bargain. I'm gonna buy another one before the deal is over. cooldry: do you want one? i'll pick one up for you too

oh by the way, with a strategically placed gut pillow, permed wig, large sunglasses, and some platform shoes, the green outfit could double as a Kim Jong Il halloween costume :hillbill:

Erich_870
10-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Erich, you ROCK!

Thank you, thank you :king:

I'm glad to hear they are fairly good quality! I hope they have a large OD green pair left! I'm hoping I'm not too stocky for them. I know an XL would be too tall for me though.

I like your Halloween costume idea!

Erich

Bob98SR5
10-19-2007, 12:14 AM
eric,

the men's small which i ordered, the length on it fits a person about 5' 10"-ish. i have some growin' to do :) and even though it said 38-40, its more like 42. Maybe it will shrink a bit when washed in hot.

i checked tonight and the only size they dont have available is the desert camo small, but taht sounds like its not a prob for you

bob

04 Rocko Taco
10-19-2007, 06:45 AM
So they run a little big Bob, my chest is right at 48 inches near as I can measure....
So I thought about going with the large (46-48)

Erich_870
10-19-2007, 09:43 AM
I ordered two larges last night. I wear a large T-shirt and sometimes they are cut too small so hopefully I fall within the comfortable zone for these. Loose is always better than tight :gay:

Erich

waskillywabbit
10-19-2007, 06:22 PM
I just keep a supply of crappy shirts and call it good since I can never get them to fit.

X2

:guitar: