PDA

View Full Version : 3rd member install, need some help and advice.

neliconcept
10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Yo everybody, just thought id post this up, I am at the final stage of my 4wd conversion and I need some help, dont have any space to install this and was wondering if anyone in the CO area could help me swap this out. I just got some ridiculous quotes from two shops here in foco for 290 to 313 and then pederson toyota insultes me by saying 600 for the swap. no joke on that either.

going from a 4.10 locked rear end to a 4.56 arb rear end.

anyways just thought id ask.

04 Rocko Taco
10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Good luck Blake, Also, what are you doing with the 4:10 rear end? send me a PM about it.

Good Times
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
are you just pulling the diff and doing the swap? if so dude, just do it yourself in your driveway. even if it's to swap the axle it's not that bad. just need a few pairs of hands and you're set.

Cheese
10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
College kid with limited space.

My hands are in different pots at the moment.

Try CO4x4 or TOF. There are some other people here in town that are helpful, but I cannot volunteer space at their houses.

I think jack and swap in less than 2 hours. Add an hour for plumbing, breaks and messing up one seal and call it good.

neliconcept
10-09-2007, 06:08 PM
thanks Cheese, i knew youd be super busy.

I think i got some place to work at now. I think im gonna go ahead and do my seals anyways just because I have no idea if they even have been replaced.

AxleIke
10-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I can help you with this, but it would have to be next week in the evening. You'd also need a floor jack and jackstands, since my jackstands are with my brother holding up a car at the moment, and my floor jack took a dump. This is a less than 2 hour job.

Albuquerque Jim
10-09-2007, 09:51 PM
messing up one seal and call it good.

Get these from Toyota if possible.

Bighead
10-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Blake, I can send you the FSM pdfs for the rear axle and brake bleeding if it will make you feel a bit more comfortable having something to refer to.

Off-topic: Jim, did you get the package I sent you?

neliconcept
10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Blake, I can send you the FSM pdfs for the rear axle and brake bleeding if it will make you feel a bit more comfortable having something to refer to.

Off-topic: Jim, did you get the package I sent you?

that would be sweet, I did have the entire FSM on CD, but thats at my house back in South Carolina right now... bummer

Cheese
10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
FSM?

The brakes are 10mm flare nut.

The diff should be 12 or 14mm, the backing plates are as well.

I think the rear ABS deals on late models are 10mm or 12mm.

Driveshaft bolts are 14mm.

PR, DR, PF, DF. I forget where the LSPV goes in that order.

If you are literally doing this in a parking lot, I would be worried. I can stab a diff alone on my back. I am worried you will get squished. Not being a jerk, just making a point since you are a pretty small dude.

neliconcept
10-10-2007, 09:35 AM
well I think if I had the diff under my jack, it might help me from getting some injuries hehe. Issac said he would help. our parking lot is quite flat.

excuse me for my serious ignorance, what is a "flare" nut?

AxleIke
10-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I can hoist a diff. They are heavy.

A flare nut is a nut designed to push up against a flared end of pipe, such as your brake lines are.

Bighead
10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
FSM?

Maybe it's just me but I like having pretty pictures or a checklist to refer to. Especially when doing something for the first time.

Robinhood4x4
10-10-2007, 07:18 PM
A floor jack does help, but it can still be kinda scary if you let the diff get away from you and your thumbs are in the wrong place. Not a terribly difficult job though.

AxleIke
10-10-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm going up to help tomorrow. No worries guys.

reggie 00
10-10-2007, 09:07 PM
well I think if I had the diff under my jack, it might help me from getting some injuries hehe. Issac said he would help. our parking lot is quite flat.

If you dont have em get some they are very important tools when it comes to brakes and clutch work. a normal wrench will 9 time out of 10 just round it out. And then you will be in a bad place.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/48368.jpg

neliconcept
10-10-2007, 09:33 PM

If you dont have em get some they are very important tools when it comes to brakes and clutch work. a normal wrench will 9 time out of 10 just round it out. And then you will be in a bad place.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/48368.jpg

thanks for the tip, i just got a 6 piece set with jack, jack stands, creeper, and tire chalks. ill do some more shopping tomorrow!!

Issac, ill send you a pm with my address. I plan to go ahead and get a breaker bar, because i dunno if their are any available outlets around campus for air tools.

AxleIke
10-10-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm bringing up some of my stuff. We'll have air on site. I'm also bringing a breaker bar and a bunch of other stuff. In addition to the crap I keep in my truck full time, which is just cheaper stuff.

04 Rocko Taco
10-11-2007, 04:59 AM
way to be a hero issac!!!

neliconcept
10-11-2007, 07:37 AM
sweet, gonna get a pan to drop the fluid in, silicon is another thing right? i have 2 quarts of fluid, cant remember what else you wanted me to go ahead and get.