PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Trail Rig ??

Ric
10-15-2007, 08:23 AM
ok all, Im turning my 4runner into more of an expedition vehicle, BUT I still love the rocks :D
So Im planning on getting a trail rig for the harder stuff, now this wont happen over night :hillbill: but......
Whats your idea of the Perfect Trail Rig ???
Im talking motor, gears, axles, lockers, crawlwers etc.
What would you do, get, etc.
I would like to keep it toyota..
my first thought was to get an 85 yota PU, do the diamond axles, swap in a 3.4l, but then started thinking, if Im going to replace the axle and engine anyway, why not start with something that already has the 3.4 :headscratch: one less thing to swap out, lol.
so let me know what you would do, get if you had the cash. NOT that I have the cash, but I want to start a "plan" and start looking for a rig, and sopurcing the parts.

04 Rocko Taco
10-15-2007, 08:25 AM
I really love the looks of a 1st gen p/u, I would like to see someone build a serious trial rig out of, say, a '79 P/U. HAWT!!
Other than that though, I would say go with a chopped, bobbed, dovetailed 1st gen runner.

MiniSimp
10-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Good motor, no matter what kind...
Marlin low-geared R151F Turbo Transmission
Marlin Dual Ultimate Crawler
Diamond 609 front axle
Diamond 9 rear axle
Gears set up by ZUK
Longfield Dana 60 Birfield axle shafts
Cryo'd everything

About $20,000 in goodies since we are talking ultimate...

all_terrain17
10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
I've always wanted a Clampy..
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/all_terrain17/clampy.jpg

Ric
10-15-2007, 11:00 PM
anyone else have what they think would be the perfect trail rig ?

Swissdrums
10-15-2007, 11:24 PM
I feel like this guy had something good going on. I'm not quite to sure why he just stopped, but I always like this thing.
http://www.yotatech.com/f88/my-ultimate-build-up-updated-reguarly-83585/index18.html

And then there is the Cheese mobile. I cant get enough of his full width 4Runner.
But thats just my idea of my perfect rail rigs...

Intrepidyota
10-16-2007, 04:36 AM
If you want the v6 but plan to swap the axles and everything out, then I say get a 3.4L manual tranny tacoma prerunner (only because I am not sure if they made a v6 2wd otherwise) there is no use paying for the whole 4wd front end when you just plan to cut it off. Swap the tranny/t-case, etc, to 4wd, dual cases clocked, twin sticks, diamonds f&r, full detroit rear, e-locker front, gears, longs, bobbed, exo'ed (and all the usual armor sliders, bumpers, etc), internal beadlocks, 38" Creepy Crawlers, rear driveline disconnect, disc brakes rear, linked f&r...and on and on...

However, looking in the more affordable realm, I would go with a 1st gen 4runner, swap in a 3rz, then do the usual: dual cases, leaf springs, etc, etc. You can have a lot of fun and do a lot of trails with a rig that, according to pirate standards, is pretty average, and with the insane amount of money you save you can buy a trailer and tow rig. :)

Lee
10-16-2007, 06:22 AM
perfect rig used only for rocks and trails, no dd, would be a sas'd 4cyl newer toy with a strong motor, manual, solid frame. diamond axle up front, 35's, 5.29 gears, locked f&r.

expensive as hell but worth it!

Marc P
10-16-2007, 06:38 AM
I enjoy having a/c and heat. I am lazy so an auto trans is important. I would go with a setup like Blacksheep, but ditch the bed for a flatbed, and exo the cab....Dana 60 or Diamond front, 14 bolt rear, linked, and armored.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p2edf79820f011f3d0723a1c8ce3cf084/e80ccb10.jpg

Or if you want to stay all Toy, then Smiling Jims truck works too..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pa5711b12b99e8af2801849570605aab1/e9515905.jpg

Intrepidyota
10-16-2007, 07:03 AM
perfect rig used only for rocks and trails, no dd, would be a sas'd 4cyl newer toy with a strong motor, manual, solid frame. diamond axle up front, 35's, 5.29 gears, locked f&r.

expensive as hell but worth it!

If not used for a DD, then a 22re is more than adequate with the proper gearing, but you don't feel so bad when you smash the christ out of an old truck that was cheap. :D

neliconcept
10-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Ric, prerunner tacoma might just work good, get inchworms setup for the 2wd tranny, tuck it up there with a BB xmember, you have AC, bob bed, move front axle forward, keep it low and cut the fenders and tube the bed. viola, a capable truck yet it will still get you to the trail instead of behind a trailer.

just my opinion.

but if i was towing something, id go Ftoy or full out buggy on some serious axles (saying serious because i cant name any off my head)

Ric
10-16-2007, 08:51 AM
appreciate all the thoughts, comments and suggestions, and money really wont be an issue, as this will be like a 3-5 year progect. (i dont have the cash to get it done now, lol) i do like having coil-overs on the corners, and the Diamond axles, and yea, Id really love the heat for the colder days :D

Cheese
10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

Trail truck? I would get as solid a 95 Xtra Cab truck.
Put in a 3.4 auto and dual cases.
Leaves front, links rear. Airbumps all around, coilovers in the rear.
Front axle is a Toy based Diamond at 65"
Rear axle is Toy based Diamond with an 8.4 diff
No bed, just tubing
Than a 40" radial tire and Walker Evans beadlocks.

This truck can be built for say 20k, will drive anywhere in the country and will do 95% of the trails.

The guy who was building 9"/60's with chromo stuff, you spec'd almost 15k in just axles.

Building a tube car to ride on trailers, I would call Twisted Customs. Only relevant specs would be 42" Iroks, Diamond axles and at least 400 hp.