PDA

View Full Version : HELP removing the drive belts

YotaGirl
10-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I know this is a totally newbie question...but how do you remove the drive belts from the pully? I'm trying to replace the front crankshaft seal and I need to get those belts off. Never done this before. In the Haynes book they mention loosening up the bolts to move the accessory pully toward the engine to loosen the belt. Where are those bolts? I provided some pictures...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z288/jnjhargrove/Misc%20truck%20pics/DSC01103.jpg

I know this is the tensioner bolt
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z288/jnjhargrove/Misc%20truck%20pics/DSC01104.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help...

Jenn

blknblu
10-18-2007, 12:56 PM
You are pointing at the right bolt in your pic. You need to slightly loosen the nut on the pulley so the whole contraption will slide down the slot on the bracket behind it. For the alt. it will be obvious. There is a bolt holding the alt secure against one of those curved slot dealies on the bracket. The AC I forget, I'll have to go take a look. I just remember it was a b!tch last time I did it.

blknblu
10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
OK same deal as the power steering. You have the accessory pulley. Loosen the center nut a touch and then loosen the tensioner bolt. Sometimes you have to push them with your finger a bit if there is enough crud back there to keep them stuck.

slosurfer
10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
I ran into this same problem when I was removing my ac belt on my 3.0, I was adjusting the tensioner bolt but didn't realize that I needed to loosen the bolt on the actual adjusting pulley. Went pretty easy once I figured that out.

YotaGirl
10-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys for the response. Justin was actually able to figure it out. We would have been done with this whole project if the dealership would have given us the right part. Luckily, Justin works right down the street from them so a return was easy. We'll be finishing it up when he gets home tonight.

I had initially done a search trying to find out how to do it, but I came up with nothing. So, because of that I have taken pictures and written down the steps we've done on this project. I will do a tech write up for it. Hopefully in the future it will help another budding mechanic. :D