PDA

View Full Version : Rumorville - 5th gen 4runner / 2nd gen GX series photos!

Good Times
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Ok, apparently these are recent photos of the new 5th gen 4runner at the Toyota HQ here in Los Angeles as they begin road testing.

Note: I didn't take these pictures. If I did, I would have shot 10000000 different angles :tapedshut:

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/september2007/toyota-4runner-1.jpg

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/september2007/toyota-4runner-2.jpg

Some things to note:
* rear window - doesn't roll down so it must be the GX series?
* wheels are now 5 lug (prob using the new LC components to keep costs down)
* those wacky tail lights look like from one of the lexus vehicles
* exhaust on the driver side now
* gas opening on the passenger side now?
* the rear looks sooo big. I wonder if they're accommodating for a 3rd row seat?
* looks like it's still a solid axle in the back and not some IRS stuff.
* rear bumper is definitely lower as now the hitch is integrated. definitely not gonna be fun modifying that rear.

Ok let the discussions begin.

Seanz0rz
10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
well i have to say that when the 4th gens came out, i found them fat and ugly. as i have seen ones like yours lance, and other that have been modified, i have grown to like them.

i think this is even fatter and even uglier than the 4th gens.

i wish i had pics of the front, but i suspect it will share alot with the sequia and LC,

makes me love my 3rd gen even more!

calrockx
10-18-2007, 07:28 PM
makes me love my 3rd gen even more!

+1

tulsa_sr5
10-19-2007, 07:38 AM
As much as I'd love to see the 4runner head back towards it's roots, ie smaller,
lighter, simpler, more off-road capable out of the box with the FJ out there I
can't see it happening. It makes me kinda sad...

04 Rocko Taco
10-19-2007, 07:51 AM
X

As much as I'd love to see the 4runner head back towards it's roots, ie smaller,
lighter, simpler, more off-road capable out of the box with the FJ out there I
can't see it happening. It makes me kinda sad...
X2

KZN185W
10-22-2007, 05:27 AM
I read somewhere (a few years back) that there won't be a 5th gen because Toyota is gonna drop the 4Runner and sell the Prado worldwide.

DHC6twinotter
10-22-2007, 07:31 PM
My guess is that it is the new Lexus LX.

If you look at the shape of the front fender, overall shape of tail light area, shape of the rear hatch/window, shape of the rear doors near the C pillar, wiper, mirrors with turn signals, spare tire, exhaust, and ceiling of the interior, it looks a lot like the new Land Cruiser or LX570. If you look at the pictures below, there appears to be a cover over where a hitch would go, much like the new GM SUVs. The running board looks like it may be the retractable type.

New Land Cruiser:
http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/06/medium_641582723_84ea6e4630_o.jpg

New LX570:
http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2007/06/thumb1280x1280_642473904_4274af4d06_o.jpg

I don't know why they have so much covering on this vehicle with the images already being out. Maybe the image posted by Lance is old? I dunno.

I do think it is a Lexus, mostly based on the GS tail lights being used on the tail gate. I can't think what the outer parts of the tail lights are off of, so they may be for this vehicle. They appear to be LED also. But, they look different than the tail lights of the LC and LX posted above.

I'm betting on a hybrid LX. Toyota used a different tail light to help differentiate the hybrid Camry from the regular one, so that's my guess. :D

Good Times
10-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Daniel,

wow you may be right! (damn these internet crap stories makin me look bad! :chair:)

Still interested in seeing what the new 4runner will have to offer. Would be shame for Toyota to discontinue the 4runner though. Say it isn't so!

DHC6twinotter
10-23-2007, 09:17 AM
lol...it's all good Lance. I'm just speculating, so you may be completely right. I'll be one looking bad then. :D Many of Toyota's SUVs look similar, so it would not surprise me if the this was a 4Runner or GX. I might be way off.

An LX hybrid is just my best guess, but I could be completely wrong.

Texas Jim
11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
The manufactures have always "hidden," potential models like this they may have been out testing a transmission, or something as simple as a new steering wheel. You can never tell from these "spy photo's" to much crap hung on body to tell.

Don't count out the 4Runner out. They could be adding a diesel... TJ

neliconcept
11-02-2007, 07:11 PM
thats the new landcruiser, if you see the new issue of 4wdto its the same look as the one in the first pic.