PDA

View Full Version : Had to ditch the Magnaflow

TDiddy
03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
I was under the truck last week trying to cure a heat shield rattle when I noticed some rust and a crack along the inlet pipe where it was welded to the muffler, and also a split/home in the front seam of the muffler. I wasn't too sad about it as I think we were all growing tired of the louder muffler. Now its quieter and it even feels like some power has been restored!

localmotion
03-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Man, I am thinking about ditching my Magnaflow. I have the 18" and it is too damn loud! It was cool in the beginning, but the novelty has worn off.

bamachem
03-24-2007, 05:52 AM
mmmmmmm, the silence of stock! :D

mine is still original. dented like crap from wheelin', but still going strong.

TDiddy
03-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Yeah, novelty is right. I really don't miss it, and now Sarah doesn't hear me coming home from two blocks away!

marko3xl3
03-31-2007, 11:20 PM
And that's why I have a 24" resonator...it sounds real nice and not too loud at all unless you really want it to be :)

My novelty wore off in the first day of running it without a resonator :)

Albuquerque Jim
03-31-2007, 11:50 PM
I am in for a new system as well, the tail pipe fell off the other day.

Lookin' at the Jardine Catback with a custom high clearance tailpipe.

Lee
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
welcome jim :)

marko3xl3
04-01-2007, 06:20 PM
welcome jim :)

Ditto.

Albuquerque Jim
04-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks Guys.

sschaefer3
04-05-2007, 06:43 AM
I have a Dynomax one on the 4Banger and the Red Truck. The 4Runner even has a header. Yeah a header, not headers.

They sound nice. I have a Flowmaster 40 on the Rock Buggy mostly because it fits the hole and it is not really all that quite, but who cares. BUT, the manufacturing quality on the Flowmaster is really something. They have 50 series SUV mufflers that I bet would be really nice. It is a very well made product, where as the Dynomax ones are sorta cheap, quick made. But still work.

Oh yeah.

:flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :gay:

neliconcept
04-05-2007, 08:02 AM
I agree that dynamax is a good sounding system which isnt too loud.

want loud, get my vortex hehe. but i love it that loud. Yet im still a 21 year old kid and im sure you old guys dont like loud (just kidding)

marko3xl3
04-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree that dynamax is a good sounding system which isnt too loud.

want loud, get my vortex hehe. but i love it that loud. Yet im still a 21 year old kid and im sure you old guys dont like loud (just kidding)

Sometimes I wonder if the vortex even has any packing...well, i know it has to, but it's just really loud. I love the sound of it, but from the clips, it seems like I would have the same highway drone problem as with the Magnaflow.

cootees
04-05-2007, 03:06 PM
The vortex is a chambered muffler like flowmaster. There is no packing inside of it.

and TDiddy your Magnaflow muffler has a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects. You should have at least gotten a replacement for it and sold it for extra money in your pocket. :thumbup:

Casey Likes Metal
04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I bought a Walker Quiet-Flow and I really like that. I used to have a Dynomax that fell off on the Rubicon, then replaced that with some flowmaster-type POS. Overall, I am most happy with the Walker, exhaust note is barely noticeable with an LCE Header.

96 Runner
04-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Another vote for the Jardine system. See Vid1 in my sig for a test drive. ;)

Smitherz
04-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I am happy with the Flowmaster. I have never seen a muffler last as long. I have always had a flowmaster (that was handed down to me from a friend who ran it on two vehicles before my truck). Then after 10 years it finally looked like it the corrosion was going to cause a hole to form. Then I ran a Borla that didn't last a year. It was pretty and "stainless" but it deteriorated very quickly. I watched it bounce in the sand behind me after it broke right off while I was off-roadin'. I went back to Flowmaster and have been happy knowing it will last until I replace it.
Me next muffler is going to be a factory GM from a diesel (will last forever and be stealth). Then about halfway I'm going to have a solenoid actuated cut out exiting under one of the doors. =]

I've always wanted to try a Magnaflow... after reading this I'll have to pass.

Henry
04-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Ditched my muffler a while back too. Even though it sounded good, it did drone a bit and was getting a bit tired of it. I know my passengers often were haha. Now its back to stock with only the airaid mit replacing the stock intake with all those boxes. Nice slightly louder stock grumble with a noticeable seat in the pants power gain off the line.

4x4Fink
04-18-2007, 08:49 PM
I've got the vortex on mine and have had it on there for a long time. I still like it...I went through a phase not too long ago where I was doing highway driving daily where it got kind of annoying but in the city I still love it. I don't get a drone sound...I've got it running straight out the back so maybe that limits it a little bit.

Fink

DNAhilux
04-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I had a magnaflow on my old 92. In 2weeks i replaced it. The noise was annoying, and sounded like flatulence. I love silence. When this one is done, ill replace it most likely with a stock one piece unit with the lifetme warranty. I noticed on my trip to vancouver that when walking outside on the street how annoying loud exhausts really are.

emptypockets
04-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I've had the Jardine catback system on for about 3 months now and really like it! It's got a lifetime warranty, plus sounds good. That's my vote.

jimbo74
04-20-2007, 09:53 PM
muffler?! mine is in the backyard, i hate my neighbors :P

Albuquerque Jim
04-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I installed the Jardine Catback today. I like the sound and constuction of the system. It seems like it will last a while. I need to have the tail pipe modified to get it up higher, I will post pics once I do.

blknblu
04-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Another vote for the Jardine system. See Vid1 in my sig for a test drive. ;)

What happened in the very last cut of that vid? Were you suddenly transported to England?

Elton
04-23-2007, 08:17 PM
i really like my magnaflow

ecchamberlin
04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
I put a Gibson 2 1/4" on mine with a custom tail pipe and I think it is very mild. Sounds just slightly more aggresive but not at all loud or annoying.

I had a full Gibson cat back kit on my Taco and loved it so since they don't make a full kit for Runners I just got the muffler and had a shop bend me a pipe out the side.