PDA

View Full Version : Dog's first duck retreive!

Erich_870
10-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I finally took the dog out for some jump shooting today and we had a blast.  I'd been feeling bad because we've been working on our shed every moment it wasn't pouring or dark (which is not very often up here  :shake:) and he hadn't been on any good, long walks in more than 3 weeks.

I've had him out hunting with me a couple times this year, but I didn't get any shooting.

Today was another story.  We headed out to the Mendenhall Game Refuge to do some jump shooting along the channel.  We got to the channel after a good hike out and I found a group of half a dozen or so and we put the sneak on.  My method is to pick a reference point on the shore and then move away a safe distance so they can't see you approach, then you head down and turn back in when you think your far enough for a look.  The tide was out so to the birds were going along the shallows and not really paying attention.

I run Fletch with a training collar to keep him focused and as we got close I'd have him sit while I worked forward, then I'd bring him up, and do it again.  We moved to the edge of the channel and I was doing a belly crawl at this point and had him healing.  He did a great job, stayed right with me and even seemed to understand the game and he stayed low too!

I stood up and took the closest bird which happened to be a hen pintail.  I sent him for the retrieve and he wasn't quite sure what I wanted him to get.  Just at that moment an eagle came diving in from my right and I have to rush out there to wave him off  :flipoff:

I got him focused on the bird and he was all instinct from there.  I've worked him with wings from last year, but this is the first time he's picked up a bird in all it's feathered-ness.  Didn't even phase him.  He was soft, didn't shake and dropped on command.  We did a couple practice retrieves and he was rewarded like he won the $300-million dollar power ball jackpot  :bowdown:  :love:

Anyway, we moved up the channel and I dropped a mallard drake in the same fashion, minus the eagle, and he had another great retrieve. 

We headed back at that point and when we were 500 yards from my rig I had a bird approach.  I called Fletch in, had him hold tight stood up and winged the bird.  The duck picked up speed and lost altitude quick and I sent Fletch.  He was 100 yards out before I could blink and the bird was flying 5 feet off the ground.  That's when 4 eagles got in on the chase and I called Fletch off.  The bird had plenty of moves left, so they were shucking and jiving and out of sight in no time.

Anyway, I couldn't be prouder of Fletch and he's earned lots of belly scratches and a looooong nap for his hard work.

Here's a pic for the memory book.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/P1030295.jpg

Good Times
10-21-2007, 11:26 PM
dang that's awesome!!!! there's no way I'd be able to teach my dog any of that... she's too much of a princess :) great lookin labby btw :D

Erich_870
10-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Lol, thanks. I'm no dog trainer by any stretch of the imagination. In the beginning the wife had to post a list of commands so there was some resembance of consistancy. I'm just glad he's naturally as smart as he is. I wonder if he can do my taxes?... :rofl:

Erich

Bob98SR5
10-23-2007, 10:43 PM
erich,

great pic! i was up in juneau a few months ago, but definitely not doing fun stuff like you did.

i love ducks though...can you shoot something else? maybe something more like this?

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/pakistan.jpg

or this?

http://bush2004.net/images/al_qaeda_bombers.jpg

or even this?

http://www.seenon.com/blog/uploads/Rosie.jpg

:hillbill:

Erich_870
10-23-2007, 11:11 PM
That's funny timing Bruce.

I'm wondering if a neighbor behind me is of the same mind set as fellows in your pics (not really, but that's beside the point.)

I came home to a message on the answering machine from an animal control officer saying he's received several complaints about a K-9 barking at my residence.

I call him to see WTF he's talking about and he said he couldn't release any details on the person but they called 5 times today stating that my dog was barking. He said they were so upset that they made a comment saying they considered entering my property and taking my dog!!! :alert: :argue: :chair: :PISSED:

The officer said he sat outside my yard for 20 minutes and my pup did NOTHING but look at him. He even got a call from one of the "roommates" of the subject while he was there saying the dog was barking again. :lliar:

He didn't sound impressed with them, but I've agreed to leave the pup in the house tomorrow to rule him out as the "culprit".

I'm still seething that this Punk A$$ has the gaul to to say to the officer that he'd go and take my dog. I won't even start to list what I would do to anyone that even SAID that to me, let alone tried. I can't fix a problem (if there even is one) if they are too chicken sh!! to walk over and say, "hey, I'm pretty sure your dogs been barking all day".

Anyway, I'm trying to keep my cool here and just let the process move along. I have no idea if my pup is being loud during the day, but I haven't received any complaints from either neighbor on my street, both of whom I'm friendly with. :headscratch:

Erich

Cheese
10-24-2007, 09:31 AM
There are few things that impress me more than a dog on a good retrieve.

Good looking Lab, got a lot of tank in him it looks like. The long, lean labs make me nervous. Yours looks like it could plow the field after pheasants and swim steady like a tugboat.

This reminds me to start another thread.

p nut
10-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Wish I had a dog for this year's hunt... Wading through an icy cold creek sucks.

Erich_870
10-25-2007, 11:42 AM
There are few things that impress me more than a dog on a good retrieve. 

Good looking Lab, got a lot of tank in him it looks like.  The long, lean labs make me nervous.  Yours looks like it could plow the field after pheasants and swim steady like a tugboat.

This reminds me to start another thread.

Thanks Cheese.  He's got some mass to him.  We've run into his brother, Tonka, a couple times on the trails around town.  He's not fixed and is taller and leaner, but they look like brothers still.

I'll have to find his papers.  His dad is pretty well known in the breeding world.

Erich