PDA

View Full Version : Canyonlands National Part, White rim road for a week

neliconcept
10-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Basically I just got my reservation form back for airport, murphys hogback and potato bottom for the three campsites that I will be at

I heard that this drive is such a beautiful wonder that I will be in awe!!!, I plan to be and i cant wait for this

spending 5 nights in the park, 1 night at airport, and 2 nights each at the other sites.

list of things I have already

though I cannot build campfires in the park, bringing an firestarter anyways just in case.

1 blitz can
fire starter
building sleeping platform
bottle jack and hi lift
0 degree sleeping bag (if i even need it but oh well it should do me fine if i get in butt naked.. jkkk)
topo maps
canyonlands book
brake fluid

things to get:
another blitz can
2x 7 gal water tanks
shower system (may not do this since I can go a week without a shower anyways)
one or two non add cv axles
tie rod ends
batteries AA, AAA, D, and C
extra car battery
tire repair kit
first aid kit
MREs
grill plate
pots and pans (only two or so)
oil
coolant
gear oil
mini stove
pots for food
cooler (wish I had money for an arb or engel fridge)

thats all i can think of

if anybody has any suggestions let me know, this will be my first expedition, i should have my arb compressor in to engage the lockers, but i heard that i really dont need to use lockers but dunno if that is a legit response.

Scott Bradys shot at white rim

http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2004/white_rim/Day2WhiteRim/images/DSCF3061.jpg

another

http://www.utahtrails.com/images/beaver.jpg

you can see the road inside this mini canyon

http://3dparks.wr.usgs.gov/canyonlands/images/3d097.jpg

[Edit - Good Times - fixed img link]

AxleIke
10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
This is absolutely my favorite part of the country. You will be addicted.

I've been going out there almost every year since I was about 7, and it never ceases to amaze me. Also jealous that you're getting to take the trip. Congrats!

Seanz0rz
10-22-2007, 03:01 PM
looks like its going to be AWESOME!!! cant wait for that event report.

neliconcept
10-22-2007, 03:49 PM
This is absolutely my favorite part of the country. You will be addicted.

I've been going out there almost every year since I was about 7, and it never ceases to amaze me. Also jealous that you're getting to take the trip. Congrats!

this is the first but im most certainly postive it wont be the last trip there :)

if yall have any feedback on what I should bring with me, do shoot the ideas over. im open to suggestions

ill be sure to put a full spread report on this, i plan to buy another mem card, take my laptop with me. and take a good 1000 or so pics if i can.

AxleIke
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
water, water, and more water. You almost definetly won't need it, but you'll extremely sorry if you do, and don't have it.

I find solo trips like this to be some of my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE going out with friends and wheeling/camping, but the solitude out there brings enormous peace to me. Its very centering. Knowing you are the only human around for likely 50-200miles. Brings things back into perspective. And you couldn't have picked a more beautiful area.

neliconcept
10-22-2007, 04:31 PM
should 14 gallons of water be sufficient? and will it freeze over night, thats what im worried about. i think for 5 days that should be enough, maybe just 7 gallons

Good Times
10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
You will consume an average of 1 gal per day so if you're out for 5 days you'll need a minimum of 5 gals. This is just for drinking. If you plan to use the water for other stuff like cleaning, rinsing and watering the 4runner if it decides to overheat, you'll need a lot more. Two 7 gal jugs should get you by nicely I believe. You can never have enough water though :) Sounds like you're going to have a blast!

Seanz0rz
10-22-2007, 05:19 PM
i see you lack some general stuff like first aid kit, emergency food, water purification, id actually bring a bundle of fire wood just in case.

what dates are you going (ballpark is fine, i understand not broadcasting your dates to the public)

neliconcept
10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
i see you lack some general stuff like first aid kit, emergency food, water purification, id actually bring a bundle of fire wood just in case.

what dates are you going (ballpark is fine, i understand not broadcasting your dates to the public)

ill tell actual days no problem

but let me make sure, kinda forgot

11/19-11/24

basically thanksgiving

i forgot my first aid kit in the list? woops water purification!! nice idea Sean, didnt think about that one.

firewood is prob not going to be the case, they do not allow fires inside the grounds inless you are on the river with a raft and camp beside it.

BruceTS
10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
you forgot the most important item............ a bed warmer

What are you models doing that week? :flipoff:

neliconcept
10-22-2007, 07:31 PM
they will be warming my bed.. thats what :) lol

ill have sufficient heat with the sleeping bag, base mats and a bed mattress of some sort to keep my comfort,

this weekend we will finish or near finish my sleeping platform and install the arb compressor to get the lines running.

neliconcept
10-22-2007, 08:34 PM
what im lookin at for a water container

http://sleeoffroad.com/products/images/scepter/scepter_black_water_250.jpg

they also have the 7 gallon i was originally (and still might get) at the army suprlus store for around 15 dollars

its the material that most tailgating coolers are made up. that hard plastic

im not sure whether to get a mini stove for hiking use or a bigger for camping use that can hold two pots

reason for the smaller is it wont take up as much space and will do the job right

http://media.rei.com/media/695263Prd.jpg

of course im gonna need some cookware but i think only a stirfry pot will suffice

http://media.rei.com/media/708986_9996Prd.jpg

slosurfer
10-22-2007, 11:02 PM
I am more partial to the three burner stoves for car camping. Mainly because I like to be able to cook breakfast and make coffee at the same time. The stoves don't take up that much room and are pretty easy to find places where it will slide in. I wouldn't want to take one backpacking though. :D I have seen people do that. :hillbill: :shake:

AxleIke
10-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Three is nice. Two, IMHO, is essential for car camping. Gotta have my coffee. :D

Looks like a great list so far Blake.

Oh yeah, and DON'T FORGET TO PUT YOUR CARD INTO YOUR CAMERA!!! LOL, I want to see the pics.

neliconcept
10-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Three is nice. Two, IMHO, is essential for car camping. Gotta have my coffee. :D

Looks like a great list so far Blake.

Oh yeah, and DON'T FORGET TO PUT YOUR CARD INTO YOUR CAMERA!!! LOL, I want to see the pics.

LOL, dude if i forgot to put my card in the camera there, id drive my truck off the edge of the canyon lol.

bringin the 3 cards i have and my laptop to upload pictures too as well.

the bigger stoves are actually somewhat cheaper.

how long should one of those canisters last? if i should get extras, plus im gona have like poptarts and crap for breakfast that does not require any cooking.

Crux
10-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I doubt you'll need lockers.
I did this trail years ago with my dad's old '95 chevy blazer (talk about a low pOS). Looked like this:
http://www.musiccitymotors.com/allpics/user_chad509/95blazer.jpg

Bighead
10-23-2007, 01:52 PM
I did this trail years ago with my dad's old '95 chevy blazer (talk about a low pOS). Looked like this:

Who knows...if you have them make sure they are ready to go. Several us found out the hard way earlier this year that some of the trails there had changed quite a bit from what we remembered due to some of the heavier rains they have had.

breknraj
10-23-2007, 06:28 PM
http://www.musiccitymotors.com/allpics/user_chad509/95blazer.jpg

Wow! How did you negotiate the big stone step near the top of Murphy's Hogback with that thing?!?!? I was going uphill when I hit it with my truck. Made it through, OK, but I ejected the old Coleman cooler doing it. Thank God it was one of the old school metal ones, with the locking latch!

neliconcept
10-25-2007, 07:17 AM
oh and im curious, any rules against beer out there? not like im gonna waste myself out there. just have a beer while im listenin to music and look at the stars or something.

AxleIke
10-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Rules AGAINST beer? Blasphemy! Good lord no man!!! I'm shaken just at the thought.

Of course you can enjoy beers. It wouldn't be a camping trip without it.

Seriously, I need to go meditate and find my center now. Not cool.

neliconcept
10-25-2007, 10:52 AM
niceee thats what i wanted to hear lol

Dude I still owe you a freakin beer or two!! get up here

Henrythewound
10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Nice trip. I have been there but not on the backroads. Remember to stay on the trail, they are real big on not disturbing undisturbed areas. In fact the last time I was there they had the "Don't bust the crust!" handouts and buttons all over the place. The cryptobiotic crust takes a long time to regrow and even walking on it can cause erosion by wind. Is TP on your list?

neliconcept
10-26-2007, 12:12 PM
TP is now, but i can bust a roll from our bathroom so no worry there

lol i forgot about it though

Henrythewound
10-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Yes, make sure you bring the TP or else tour topo maps will become your new TP.

neliconcept
11-03-2007, 11:11 PM
TPPPPP is onnnn the list!!1

sorry a little truck at the moment, i mean tdrunk.

https://www.tagsafari.com/uploads/english/images/ms188_ss_ol_lg.jpg

wow i actually tiepyed that right.

anyways..

gotta have my safari shirt, and lookin goood. for the pictures.

my storage unit is done at the moment

taking my truck home for xmas to get it dne beetter by my dad who built our house and is a hobby carpenter.

design im looking at

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182390&stc=1&d=1193100192

any ideas on foods anybody, stove will be wirth me, but non cookable foods basically, goig to take mres with me as wlll so i can biol water and cook those/

MNboy
11-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Just as a heads up, this trail is normally pretty easy, but doing it in Nov. and by yourself make sure your lockers are working. I've been stuck a couple extra days in places out there by getting hit with snow, and you will be there well into snow season. Don't worry about the water freezing, if you keep it in big jugs and keep it in the vehicle it will be fine. If you have a set of tire chains, or can borrow some for the trip, bring them along just in case.

neliconcept
11-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Just as a heads up, this trail is normally pretty easy, but doing it in Nov. and by yourself make sure your lockers are working. I've been stuck a couple extra days in places out there by getting hit with snow, and you will be there well into snow season. Don't worry about the water freezing, if you keep it in big jugs and keep it in the vehicle it will be fine. If you have a set of tire chains, or can borrow some for the trip, bring them along just in case.

thanks for the headsup. ill have to see if anyone has any chains for 285s around here.

neliconcept
11-17-2007, 10:27 AM
well it looks like im off guys, wish me luck and ill have a huge trip reports section when i get back (if i get alive hhaha jk)

Seanz0rz
11-17-2007, 10:38 AM
good luck blake!!!! take LOTS of pictures!~

neliconcept
11-17-2007, 01:00 PM
damnit, some things holding me till tonight. ill leave around 6pm MST