PDA

View Full Version : Need an air gun (pellet) for pest control. Advise?

p nut
10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Any of you up on the air gun scene? I'm looking for a rifle to take care of some rats and rabbits in the back yard. My requirements for an air gun:

1) Single pump
2) ~800+fps
3) No CO2
4) Quality tested (preferable by you guys)
5) Scope not required. Actually prefer naked sights.

I already have a .22 rifle, but I don't think the neighbors will take too well to gun shots.

Thanks for any inputs.

Robinhood4x4
10-22-2007, 07:43 PM
I've always been partial to Beeman airguns, but they can be a little pricey. My dad and I used them to keep the squirrels, rabbits and crows under control on the farm.

RWS is a big name and are probably good too.

Keep in mind that if you get an airgun that uses a piston, you need a special scope that can handle the double recoil. They will tear apart a normal scope, even one built for high power rifles.

bamachem
10-24-2007, 10:18 AM
since you already have a .22, then why not get some sub-sonic rounds for it. they're about the same noise as a pellet gun, and if you put a home-made suppressor on it (or buy a CAD designed and CNC manufactured one for ~$200), they're completely unnoticeable.

gunbroker link for $179 (http://www.forthehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=83564739)

oops, nevermind on buying one since NFA rules would apply and you would have to be responsible for the ATF Form 1 and the $200 filing tax as well as have it shipped to a Class 3 FFL holder.

p nut
10-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks to both of you. Bamachem, how would you go about making a home made suppressor? Mine doesn't have a threaded barrel, so I don't think buying one could be an option? Also, since the sight is right on the tip of the barrel, how would you aim using a suppressor that's mounted at the end of the barrel?

bamachem
10-25-2007, 10:13 AM
ummm... there's plenty of stuff to look at with a google search.

however, it's illegal to even make your own (think federal felony), so if you do, DON'T go posting it for public viewing.

if you're going to use a pellet gun, then you might as well just get some subsonic 22LR's since they make about the same amount of noise as the high-powered air rifles.

Erich_870
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
ummm... there's plenty of stuff to look at with a google search.

however, it's illegal to even make your own (think federal felony), so if you do, DON'T go posting it for public viewing. 

if you're going to use a pellet gun, then you might as well just get some subsonic 22LR's since they make about the same amount of noise as the high-powered air rifles.

I agree with Bamachem.  Don't waste your time with a Pellet gun or suppressors and just got with sub-sonics.  You'll be ready to go faster, not have legal issues to worry about and be making the same amount of sound.  This is assuming your not shooting in the City Limits, which is typically illegal everywhere...  :hillbill:

Erich

p nut
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Ok, thanks, guys. I actually purchased some subsonic rounds a couple of days ago, but have not shot them yet.

The more I look into getting a pellet gun, the less appealing it becomes. They're about as much, if not, more expensive than .22's. Seems like even the sound issue is still present. So I will just use my .22.

Time to go rat-plinking. :D

Erich_870
10-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Cool. Post some pics, I love rat carnage :thumbup:

Erich

Robinhood4x4
10-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Unless you make a suppressor for your pellet gun. I've never done it, but I've heard all it takes is a 2 liter bottle and some tissues and then your air gun is silent.

BruceTS
10-25-2007, 06:48 PM
bolt action rifle with .22 shorts

tape a 2 liter bottle to the end of the barrel....and have fun..... :hillbill:

BTW don't get caught!

04 Rocko Taco
10-25-2007, 06:52 PM
just for the record, a suppresor for an air rifle is absolutely still JUST AS ILLEGAL as a supressor for a true firearm. So dont post pics, or get caught. lol.

...and as a staff member here, there is the whole "UltimateYota does not condone the creation or use of supressors on firearms, nor the wholesale slaughter of small pesky rodents"

hahahaha. legal disclaimer over and out.

reggie 00
10-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Suppressors... All over the patent office website. Most have design descriptions and pics.

It might throw off the accuracy a bit since it changes the barrel length and velocity a bit.

Change up to a cheap low power scope, remove front sight, thread barrel, pipe washers steel wool inner pipe with holes.

dont get caught ever.

Internet is good

and in some cities shooting a pellet gun is the same as shooting a rim-fire, its not the noise but the projectile movement, so still be careful on who sees this done.

Erich_870
10-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey check out this bad boy. Has the fps you're looking for an a silencer!

http://www.gamousa.com/Catalog.aspx?Product=234

Erich :clap:

bamachem
11-01-2007, 06:40 AM
wow... so maybe if one is permanently attached/manufactured into the barrel of an airgun, then it's legal? wow. news to me.

Erich_870
11-01-2007, 09:13 AM
wow... so maybe if one is permanently attached/manufactured into the barrel of an airgun, then it's legal? wow. news to me.

I was wondering the same thing :headscratch: They have lawyers though, so I'd buy it :flipoff:

Erich

p nut
11-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Guys, I got something even better. I went to Cabela's yesterday and found some .22LR gunpowder-less rounds. It just has a cap and a smaller slug. I shot it and it really makes less noise than my friend's Benjamin Sheridan pellet gun. And unlike the .22 shorts, I can shoot this in my lever action .22 rifle. The guy was like, "I'm not even going to ask you what you're going to use this for. Most people looking for these have problems with their neighbor's cats." :D

I bought some subsonic rounds last week, and it really wasn't that much quieter than the regular rounds. :headscratch:

Robinhood4x4
11-08-2007, 05:38 AM
Sheridans are one of the noisiest airguns I've used. Very nice guns, but noisy.