PDA

View Full Version : Pinion seal on a 3rd gen

localmotion
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey all!

my 3rd gen is slowly falling apart. at 240k, the pinion seal is leaking. Anyone know how difficult it is to change? is it expensive? also, is this a common problem and what are ways to prevent this from happening.

I have had my axle seals leak, but that is common in 3rd gens.

MTL_4runner
10-23-2007, 05:16 AM
Matt, you're at almost 1/4 of a million miles :clap: so I'd say that was pretty good so far for everything to hold that long.....that's about 150k more than most domestics would have gone no doubt. Anyway, the pinion seal shouldn't be too bad but you'll need a decent sized impact to get the pinion nut off but after that it should be fairly smooth.

localmotion
10-23-2007, 03:41 PM
awesome jamie! thanks!

its actually coming from the actual 3rd member housing....so i guess i got the part screwed up.

anyways, i went to a mechanic and he told me it was going to be around 400 to fix it....since he had to pull out the axle shafts and the 3rd member....does this sound right?

BruceTS
10-23-2007, 04:27 PM
if it's the 3rd member seal just take a piece if steel, drill holes for the driveshaft bolts, bolt the steel to the pinion flange to prevent it from turning, makes sure you clearance for a socket. Modify a punch to uncrimp the lock nut. remove nut..... then simply extract the old seal and install the new one.

localmotion
10-23-2007, 06:03 PM
ahh..you make it sound so easy!! LOL Thanks guys for the help

MTL_4runner
10-23-2007, 07:50 PM
i went to a mechanic and he told me it was going to be around 400 to fix it....since he had to pull out the axle shafts and the 3rd member....does this sound right?

If it's leaking from the seal between the axle housing and the 3rd member then yes, you'll need to pull out the axles and the 3rd member to redo that seal (might as well do the pinion seal while you have everything out too). I attached a pic of what I think you're looking to change (ie the gasket shown in the pic).

localmotion
10-23-2007, 07:57 PM
jamie...i talked with bruce and he says its cheaper/easier just to seal the leak from the outside. Thanks for your awesome diagrams/pictures though! You da man!!!

BruceTS
10-23-2007, 08:00 PM
NO not from the outside, you need to pull the third to seal the housing......

Robinhood4x4
10-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Fixing the third member seal is pretty easy to do but you really should take out the axles and all. However, Bob successfully fixed his leaking diff by prying the third member out a little and RTV'ing it. Check out his elocker install write up.