PDA

View Full Version : Replacing power steering pump

slowheelin
10-26-2007, 11:01 AM
My power steering pump is leaking like a sieve so I'm gonna take a crack at replacing it.
On a scale of 1 - 10 what would you say the difficulty is? I have pretty good mechanical skills and from looking at the FSM and the repair manual it looks to be a pretty easy job. Anything I should look out for?

Oh yeah my rig is an 93 4Runner with the 3.slow V6

Robinhood4x4
10-26-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't know, it can't be that hard though. Probably just a few bolts here and there, hoses, and belts. There is also a rebuild kit for it so you can go that route too. In fact, if the choice is between a generic auto parts store pump or rebuilding your factory one, I'd go with rebuilding it.

RobG
10-26-2007, 05:37 PM
It's pretty easy, about a 3 on 1-10 scale. Assuming no bolts are frozen up.

The FSM has a lengthy procedure about having to bleed the Antilock break controller that requires several special tools. I just drove mine around the block twice and it seemed to work all the air out.

No leaks or problems since. Good luck.

fustercluck
10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I removed mine and put a rebuilt one on. It's fairly easy. Just loosen the pully bolt BEFORE removing/loosening the belt....makes it a relaxing proceedure. Have a bin to collect the PS fluid that will spill and I plugged the hoses temporarily with a socket extension just to prevent unessesary fluid drippage.

slowheelin
10-28-2007, 08:42 AM
cool thanks guys. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Are the generic auto part store ones that bad? I asked the guy there if they were all up to spec and he said "yeah and they have a lifetime warranty"

traben27
11-12-2007, 10:01 AM
I don't know, it can't be that hard though. Probably just a few bolts here and there, hoses, and belts. There is also a rebuild kit for it so you can go that route too. In fact, if the choice is between a generic auto parts store pump or rebuilding your factory one, I'd go with rebuilding it.

I rebuilt the pump about 6 months ago because it was leaking pretty bad. It stopped the leak for a little but it's back again, just very slow this time. Is there a common seal that leaks on these or am I going to have to take it all apart and look for a problem?

slowheelin
11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Well here's a little update on home the job is going....
I got the pump out with no issue, vice grips on the back of the pulley really helped with that. Got everything disconnected and took the core to the auto parts store, they had the new pump so $80 later I was on my way. Put everything back together and then broke the air control valve in the process, yes it's an expensive part. Just waiting to get paid to go get one and put everything back together. I thought it was going to be a pretty difficult job but it turned out to be not so bad, well aside from breaking the expensive part......

slosurfer
11-13-2007, 07:37 PM
If I ever have to do mine, you'll have to come over and tell me what not to break.