PDA

View Full Version : RD90 arb airlocker is leaking up front

neliconcept
10-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Well I had a shop do my compressor installed because im lazy and it was a decent price, but since I did put condoms on both my front and rear, the front has been filling up with some nasty fluid and ive been through two condoms on that thing.

Im assuming its the seal on the inner line that is making it leak?

I have no idea how to fix this, they quoted me 600 to get that done. but hell, ill just buy a 4cyl front diff with 4.56s already put in, if thats the case, I dont have that kind of money.

any ideas on what I could to to maybe fix it myself?

Bighead
10-26-2007, 04:12 PM
What is the shop basing their estimate on? Did they tell you what was wrong?

neliconcept
10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
ok the leak isnt the bulkhead

my casing is leaking or my axle tube, which is an easy fix, pull apart, clean out and RTV. Gotta do that soon though.

the guy that called me didnt know what he was talking about or didnt realize it wasnt the copper line.

neliconcept
10-26-2007, 04:49 PM
also guess I should note that he tested the front and put the compressor to it and it did not come on continuously like it would if it was leaking at all. but that still could be a problem, he had some other tool to test it as well and it was fine, just the half case or my axle tube (which has half rtv and half not rtv so thats probablly it)

Cheese
10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
If it is leaking air, you should not be able to just FIPG the tubes up. The air leak means some part of the ARB circuit has been compromised. That means diff apart and see the leaky.

Air should go in, lock and stay. If you can hear air, something is up with THE LOCKER, not with any other part of the diff or the truck.

neliconcept
10-29-2007, 11:18 AM
i left the front on for a good 20 minutes today, i didnt hear it cycle but once which was the first time

should that mean its fine?

i dont see any leaks anymore from the diff.

Bighead
10-29-2007, 11:40 AM
The ARB instructions call for it to stay engaged without cycling for 15 minutes.

i dont see any leaks anymore from the diff.

Does it still have fluid inside? ;) Was it leaking from where the axles go into the housing/axle tube? Bad oil seal(s)?

AxleIke
10-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Both of mine hold pressure for hours.

Any oil seepage still?

Cheese
10-29-2007, 12:00 PM
If it is over filled, it may leak oil from around the bulkhead.

If it is leaking elsewhere, it is the seals, those are sort of a turd if you don't drive the axle in on the first try.

neliconcept
10-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Adrian, yeah it was leaking when overfilled from the bulkhead, not leaking anymore though which i guess is good.

but no seepage that I have seen. man I wanna test this thing on the rocks like asap lol

Bighead
10-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Both of mine hold pressure for hours.

Mine doesn't cycle very often either.

If it is leaking elsewhere, it is the seals, those are sort of a turd if you don't drive the axle in on the first try.

Been there..done that. Resting the axle on the seal itself or driving it in too deep when replacing.