PDA

View Full Version : 2007 CR-V TPMS system

MTL_4runner
10-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Well, my wife's been loving the new CR-V and now it's getting close to having it's first winter and I'd like to get snow tires. Now in the past I've been able to just get a second set of rims, mount the snow tires and away I go ready for winter. I guess on all new vehicles they all need to have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) to ensure the tires are always properly inflated. This requires a special valve stem (read expensive!!!) for each rim and sometimes (as is the case with the new CR-V) the ECU needs to be recalibrated to work with a new set of TPMS sensors (dealer charges 1 hr labor to do this, which is more than remounting and balancing the same set of rims each season).

So the $25,000 question is, does anyone know how to reset the TPMS on these vehicles?

Here's a good discussion on the subject:
http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=19800
http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=27560
http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=26709

MTL_4runner
10-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Looks like everything on these vehicles is complicated, just look at what it takes to install the OEM remote starter!

P/N for the EX version: 08E92-SWA-300A

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/gen3_crv/remotestart.pdf

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_crv_accessories/07_08_crv_electronics.htm

MTL_4runner
10-28-2007, 04:13 PM
So the $25,000 question is, does anyone know how to reset the TPMS on these vehicles?

I might have found the answer....

Make TPMS Sensors Operational at PDI
Currently Applies To: All ’08 Models

When you’re doing a PDI, remember to make all of the TPMS sensors operational. If you forget to do this, the TPMS indicator will come on after about 20 miles of driving. If that happens to a new vehicle owner, your service department is sure to get a visit from one very unhappy customer. When the TPMS indicator comes on, the TPMS control unit also sets one or more TPMS DTCs, depending on the situation. Clearing those DTCs at PDI or shortly after isn’t a warrantable repair. For ’08, we’ve made it easier to make those TPMS sensors operational.

Here’s how to do it:

1) Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

2) Use a tire pressure gauge with a bleeder valve to quickly drop the pressure in one tire to 18 psi or less.

IMPORTANT: You must drop the tire pressure by 3 psi within 15 seconds, or the TPMS sensor won’t turn on. To ensure good accuracy, use the calibration tool (P/N 07AAJ-000A100, H/C 8298457) to periodically check your tire pressure
gauge. This tool was sent to your dealership last August.

3) Inflate that tire to the recommended cold inflation pressure that’s listed on the driver’s doorjamb sticker. If you’re in a cold climate region, make
sure the tire is at the same temperature as the outside air before you inflate it; otherwise, the low tire pressure indicator may come on when the weather gets cold.

4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other three tires.

NOTE: Since the spare doesn’t have a TPMS sensor, there’s nothing you need to do. Just make sure it’s inflated to the recommended cold inflation pressure.

One final note: If you’re installing accessory wheels, make sure you follow the accessory installation instructions to the letter. This will ensure troublefree TPMS operation.

Source:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/a070800.PDF

Here's a second set of instructions.

The 2007 CR-V Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors are turned off for transportation from Japan to your dealership.

Also, if the TPMS section of Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) procedure was not completed, the codes (below) will set after 20 minutes of driving because the TPMS sensors are off and are not transmitting.

Solution

The 2007 CR-V TPMS codes are 32, 34, 36, 38, (Tire Pressure Sensor Transmitting Failure) and 41 (Abnormal Signal Reception Error) must be cleared using Honda Diagnostic System (HDS).

First, clear the TPMS codes 32, 34, 36, 38 and 41 using HDS. Next, use the procedure listed below:

Start the engine.
Beginning at any wheel.
Lower the tire pressure quickly to 20 PSI.
Verify that the Low Tire Pressure Indicator in the instrument panel comes on. (This ensures the sensor is out of transportation mode and is operational mode.)
Inflate the tire to the door sticker recommended pressure of 30 PSI and verify that the low tire pressure indicator goes off.
Repeat the steps a, b, and c with each wheel until all 4 wheels have been completed. (Steps a, b, and c must be completed one wheel at a time.)
Road test the vehicle at speeds above 30 mph for at least 1 minute. If the Low Pressure Indicator and TPMS Indicator both remain out, the procedure is complete.

For additional information on this procedure, refer to Service Bulletin 06-067 “2007 CR-V: PDI and New Model Information” under “Make the TPMS Sensors Operational.”

Hopefully there's a Honda tech around that can confirm this is how to set the TPMS sensors when changing rims.

MTL_4runner
10-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Might as well make this a thread for CR-V info in general

Resetting the oil life gauge:

1) Turn Your Key On
2) Press And Release Trip Knob Unitl Oil Life Display
3) Press And HolD The Knob For About 10 Sec Unitl Oil Life Display Blinks
4) Press And Hold The Knob Again For About 10 Sec And Oil Display Will Display 100%.

MTL_4runner
10-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Snow tires, OEM size P225/65R17:

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=27632

traben27
10-28-2007, 04:26 PM
I dont think you have to reset them. I know that the Chevrolet and GMC sensors have to be reset after rotations. I've done plenty of swaps of sensors from wheel to wheel at work with hondas and never had to reset them. Maybe the 2008's are different though...

MTL_4runner
11-10-2007, 05:17 PM
I dont think you have to reset them. I know that the Chevrolet and GMC sensors have to be reset after rotations. I've done plenty of swaps of sensors from wheel to wheel at work with hondas and never had to reset them. Maybe the 2008's are different though...

Were they Sept 2007 or newer because now all 2008 vehicles must have TPMS so that should be the acid test. This whole TPMS stuff is just crap, yet another idiot light to malfunction and it doesn't even work that well in practice. I long for tha days it was easy to just swap/rotate/change tires on a vehicle worry free!

Here's about as detailed as I've found for installing the sensors.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/07whl.pdf

I attached a pic just in case people wanted to see what these little buggers look like.

traben27
11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
I read the original post again, it looks like that reset is more of a one time thing after coming from Japan. I know I installed some new wheels on a newer model CR-V and we didn't have to reset them.

I think the whole TPMS thing is crap, it's just making it easier for people that have no idea about their vehicle to be clueless while driving. Sure it's a cool thought, but I personally will end up taking them off if I get a car with one.

MTL_4runner
11-11-2007, 05:58 AM
....I personally will end up taking them off if I get a car with one.

Alot of them (like Honda) make it impossible to disable and then it ends up affecting traction control, ABS, AWD, etc.
Just sucks any way you cut it or slice it.

Deltron
12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Kinda off topic, but my mom had the first gen CRV. It was hands down the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow. If her generation CRV drives anything like my moms, you'll love it.

MTL_4runner
12-15-2007, 05:34 AM
We've been driving ours in the snow without snow tires recently and it performs amazingly well. I still want to get snow tires (mainly to improve braking) but I think we're going to wait and get them around January when they usually go on sale. Both my wife and I love the new CRV, it was definately money well spent. Now it's going to be my turn for a new vehicle (since the CRV was for her). I've been toying around with a used 2005-2006 4runner but I am still concerned about gas mileage as I am sure gas prices will remain high for the forseeable future.

Deltron
12-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I hear ya on the gas concern. These prices are only gonna go up. So when I filled up today for $3.09/gal. (southern indiana), I can't help but think when I'm 35(26 now) I'm gonna be talking about how I wish I could pay $3.09/gal.

20005spd
12-31-2007, 03:59 AM
just buy new tires, bring them to be mounted & balanced on the stock rims and the tpms will be fine. the car has no idea you just took the wheels off the car to put new tires on, just keep the rim in the spot it was originally or the sensor will still think its a r/f when its really a r/r or something like that.

MTL_4runner
12-31-2007, 06:25 AM
just buy new tires, bring them to be mounted & balanced on the stock rims and the tpms will be fine. the car has no idea you just took the wheels off the car to put new tires on, just keep the rim in the spot it was originally or the sensor will still think its a r/f when its really a r/r or something like that.

That's what I finally did about 2 weeks ago. Just got a full set of the Michelin Lattitude X-ice in a slightly smaller size (215/65R17) since the stock size was sold out completely nationwide (US and Canada!) Just brought them to the dealer and had them swap them over.....no TPMS problems from that but it's just a bit inconvienent. Only costs $100 a year ($50 fall / $50 spring) so I'll probably just do it that way from now on. I've heard of people running a second set of rims with regular valve stems and just putting up with the TPMS light but I'm sure my wife wouldn't tolerate that for long.

20005spd
12-31-2007, 06:34 AM
tpms is a good system so its best to keep it working for you and the wife. its a bad system for people who dont know how to simply check tire pressures everyonce n a while. switchin tires isnt a big deal we do it all the time @ work since its a volvo dealer and even though most of em have awd they still buy snow tires n switch them over.