PDA

View Full Version : wiki trail reports

Seanz0rz
10-28-2007, 05:51 PM
how hard would it be to implement a wiki for trails? something with a rating system on a few levels, such as general difficulty, type of terrain (mud, rocks, sand, fast or slow driving, etc), level of hill clims, off camber situations, etc. maybe something where people who have completed the run can vote on these things, or add commments.

it just seams the trail report section in the forums just collects alot of "thats awesome" and not so much wealth of knowledge about certain trails.

i also think it would be easier to break it down by region, county, whathaveyou.

just a thought!

slosurfer
10-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Sean, that's a great idea! It could even have gps coordinates, directions, etc...

You can check out this site that has something similar: www.dirtopia.com

Seanz0rz
10-28-2007, 06:03 PM
exactly! users can contribute, but its all formal and factual, and not having to sift through thousands of "woah" posts.

cross link with trails that are near by, for example list all the trails that start or end on 3n16 in the san bernardino mountains.

blknblu
10-28-2007, 06:37 PM
It would be nice to have posts attached or a portion of the wiki where current conditions could be reported. Something like:
7/8/07 "the rocky portion by the creekbed was badly washed out by the recent rains."
10/3/07 " the washout by the creekbed has been repaired and you could probably get a sedan through there :("

Seanz0rz
10-28-2007, 06:47 PM
exactly, thats one more thing that prompted this idea. i have some old trail notes a buddy gave me, and i ended up throwing them away, as the trails mentioned are now COMPLETELY different because of natural causes like water and wind erosion, fire, rock slides, etc.