PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen 4-banger to V6 tranny swap!

RustBucket
10-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi guys,

My 1st gen, 22re 5spd has already received a new engine and the transmission is beginning to get just a little bit noisy. Still works fine, but with 250k+ miles the gears whine sometimes and I am thinking, "if the tranny decides to die, what should I do?"

I have a lead on a 5 speed tranny from behind a 3.0. Only has 100k miles on it. I have heard and read that these transmissions are very very strong and that, with a bellhousing from a 22re turbo it can be made to fit. Here are a few questions about this:

1) Is it really that simple? Does a turbo bellhousing bridge the gap with no modifications?

2) Are the V6 and 4cyl trannies of similar length, or will I need to get a different driveshaft?

3) I currently have a budbuilt cross member. Will this piece of equipment still work for a V6 trans?

4) Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread where this has been done and documented?

Thanks!

fustercluck
10-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I've not heard of this swap specifically, but I'll bet Marlin Crawler would have what you need for it. The '85+ I4 and V6 tranmissions are fairly strong...

Intrepidyota
10-30-2007, 04:47 AM
Have you ever broken a tranny? I am running the stock w56 in my 4runner and it takes quite a beating without a problem. I think I would just swap it out for another 4 cyl tranny. Cheaper, easier, and still strong.

RustBucket
10-30-2007, 05:09 AM
Yeah I see what you mean, but realize I am a GA Tech student... if it's not overbuilt, it's not built right!

And I'm getting a pretty good deal on this new(er) tranny. If it's not hard to make it work, I might as well.

fustercluck
10-30-2007, 08:36 AM
check with Marlin, if there are reasons not to do it, he'll know. Let us know what your findings are and the results of your project....

Did I mention we like pics? :hillbill:

RustBucket
11-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Well guys, I sent an email to Bud from Budbuilt, and his experience tells him that this swap is far more involved that I was thinking. I guess that's it then :)

Has anyone had experience using the Marlin transmission rebuild kit? I might dig into that someday, maybe do a 4.7 swap while I'm in there.