PDA

View Full Version : looking for a mountain bike

localmotion
11-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Alright guys, I am looking to get into mountain biking. I want something that I can use for a while. I do not do any sort of crazy hopping and nor do I go off any sweet jumps. I like the idea of full suspension but not sure if I would use it. i want to spend as little as possble...any suggestions?

I dont want to buy anything cheap as well....some brands people have told me to get are specalized, gary fisher, and trek....

habanero
11-03-2007, 07:57 PM
A decent hardtail should do you fine even on rougher trails, depending on your idea of rougher. Just gotta pick your lines a little better. I'd sure rather have a decently decked out hardtail over a cheaply spec'd bobbing heavy full-suspension.
All three of those companies have decent stuff from entry level on, I've currently got a $450 trek rigid (35# heavy, came with cheesy shifters), a $700 trek steel hardtail (27# a decent bike with ok specs, I just replaced parts with better quality as the old stuff wore out, not the lightest thing around but not cumbersome), and a $3000 pre-trek Gary Fisher aluminum hardtail (22# light, fast, not as comfortable a ride as the steel). My husband's got an Ellsworth Truth full-suspension (nice bike, very little bob when climbing, has broken 2 rear triangles and the front and that's on regular singletrack, expensive) and a cannondale hardtail with a stupid, annoying headshock. That middle-road trek's been a decent bike once I put a shorter stem on it. Of course, if the bike doesn't fit you it isn't worth it. You're going to have to try some stuff out to get an idea on what best fits your body. Kona, Trek/Fisher, Specialized, there's more. 29r's could take a little of the bump out, but it severly limits your choices, I'm told are kind of pricey, and really isn't necessary. Aluminum is lighter and stiffer but steel isn't as hard on your body.
All my mountain bikes are 10-16 years old so I'm a little out of the loop on what's available these days.

So go, do some test riding, get familiar with what comprises a decent set of components-you know, that line between what works and keeps working nicely and what is just weight savings and bling. Don't go so cheap it gives you constant troubles to the point of making mountain biking a pain, something a little up from an entry level bike, maybe.

localmotion
11-05-2007, 05:15 PM
thanks for the advice!!!

So far, I have been looking at craigslist for some used mtn bikes. I am not sure that I will be going too hardcore so full suspension may not be the best route...but im sure it would be nice to have.

What does everyone else ride?

ecchamberlin
11-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Matt
it sounds like you want to go with X-country fame/setup. Hardtails can be had with much better componants for less than a full suspension with only entry level stuff on it.

I used to run hardtails but my back was taking a beating and the designs of the rear suspensions have come a long way and peddle bob and overly heavy fulls are not a problem anymore.... if you are willing to pay.

I am riding an 2004 Specialized FSR Comp that has Fox front and rear shocks that both have lockouts which is nice because it can ride just like a hardtail if you want it to. Then since it came with disc ready hubs I converted it to Avid cable disc brakes which I really like a lot.

Craigs list is not a bad way to go but I think a better source is to get in with a local bike shop and ask the local ride crew if anyone has anything for sale. There is always some bike gear head getting ready to swap up to the next best rig coming out. Makes it a win win. And you get it from someone that may take you on some cool rides and then help you set up the bike properly. Proper seat, brake handle/tension and handle bar set up is so critical to enjoying a bike.

Let us know what you get.

garrett
11-05-2007, 09:15 PM
i got a specialized rockhopper (hardtail) in may. i really love it. i took it to colorado this summer and if i lived there, i would really rather have a full suspension, but between mainly arkansas and texas, it's fine for me. i'd rather change more flat tires than spend another $700 for the rear suspension.

back when it was new and clean -
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/stingray1478/Random/IMG_0441.jpg

Chapman88SR5
11-06-2007, 07:26 AM
I vote for definitely going to a bike shop to get set up. I work at a bike shop and fit people to bikes everyday. We sell Giant, GT, Schwinn (ew), Redline, Haro, Mongoose (ew). I would vote for Giant. I have the the XTC 2 which only retails at $650-700 and has pretty good stuff on it (Sram not Shimano). But for sure go to a bike shop unless you have been riding most your life and know what fits you.

Whatever route you take and no matter what bike you get, just go out and ride!

Henrythewound
11-06-2007, 08:46 AM
2nd/3rd on visiting your local bike shop (LBS). Ask around some people who ride for recommendations of shops. You should look into past year models to save $$. It sounds like you will be happy with a mid level setup. I am just exiting this stage and building up a 29er at the moment. It can be expensive but is a better "waste" of money than many other not so healthy hobbies. Look into Kona, Gary Fisher, and Surly. I have an older Raleigh that is just OK, you would be doing yourself a favor to get a bike that is a step up from the rest of the run of the mill big box store bikes (pre built, low end components, cheaper materials, etc).

localmotion
11-23-2007, 12:45 PM
well guys, i just bought an Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII sport from performancebicycles.
o Frame - 5" Travel Dw-Link Trail
o Rear Shock - Manitou Radium R Air 7.5"X2"
o Fork - Manitou Black Comp, 130mm Travel
o Handle Bar - Truvativ XR Riser, 31.8mm Clamp
o Stem - Truvativ Xr, 31.8mm Clamp
o Headset - FSA Orbit Z, Zerostack
o Pedals - Crank Bros Candy C Clipless

I got it for 860...what do you guys think?

http://peakbikes.com/uploads/mkiii_sport.jpg

ecchamberlin
11-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Looks like a good bike for the money. I know the front fork is good but don't have any experience with the rear shock. Manitou makes good stuff though.

I know lots of people are into the hydraulic disc brakes but those Avid mechanical disc setup do really well.

What shifters/derailleurs does it have?

localmotion
11-23-2007, 04:05 PM
they have shimano deore and sram components...im pretty excited about it!

Now its to freakin cold to ride!

Chapman88SR5
11-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Wow you went all out for your beginner rig. I use to have an iron horse and loved it. I am suprised that you went with a full suspension for your first real mountain bike. Usually people will learn how to handle on a hardtail. I am not trying to dissapoint you in your purchase it is actually a very nice bike! you will love it! oh and by the way, you can sell those Avid BB5 brakes and upgrade to the BB7s but the BB5s are still really good mechanical brakes! Good Buy and good price too.

localmotion
11-23-2007, 06:05 PM
yea the I hate having to buy something again...so since this was a great deal for a full susp, i decided to get it. I originally was going to get a hardtail. Another thing thats kinda cool is that they use air shocks, so I can always fill them up with air to make them a lot stiffer.

Chapman88SR5
11-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah did you buy a shock pump yet? You will need one to put air in the shocks. If you havent bought one yet let me know and i will see how much i can get one to you for (i work at a bike shop). If i cant get it for you at a good price id suggest pricepoint.com or helping your local bike shop out by giving them your business!

ecchamberlin
11-23-2007, 08:52 PM
good point and I was wondering if he knew this when he posted about his air shocks. They can only be filled and adjusted with a shock pump (low volume-high pressure)

Only thing I mail order for the bike now is tires. I like to try and keep the shops in the good so that there is a place to take the bike into for its yearly or crashly tune ups. Only so much I can do with the tools I have. So I give them my accessory business even though they are more expensive. Also easier to get warantee exchanges at a physical shop.

Chapman88SR5
11-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Physical shops are losing money due to online "shops". This scares me considering I plan on owning my own bike shop when I am done with college. I will have to admit to buying parts online but I also support the bike shop a lot.

ecchamberlin
11-23-2007, 09:10 PM
we have a big shop that is now a chain of stores called bicyclewarehouse. They have a web site but the started with just one shop in SD and now have 3. So they are doing something right. I think it also helps that people bike all year around here in socal and we have some fantastic riding. Even the roadies have a lot to choose from and the area as a whole is pretty bike friendly with lanes and dedicated bike paths.

When I lived closer to work I used to switch to a set of roady rims and commute on my full suspension bike with the shocks locked out. It worked pretty well although a road bike would have been a ton faster still. I miss that now that I live so much farther from work but they sort of have issues with bikes on the Coronado Bridge. LOL

localmotion
11-24-2007, 08:52 AM
i actually bought a bike shock air pump today...it was only 19.99 and with 20% off, it wasnt too bad. I also get 10% back on all my purchases.

I bought some Forte CM210 shoes today and tested them out. They are wayyy to stiff for my liking...so im going to look for a more comfortable clipless shoe.

If the price difference is around 10$, i will buy from a local shop, but if its a lot more, then I will order online.

Henrythewound
11-24-2007, 09:57 AM
The cost of the bike is just the beginning of your expenses. Soon you will want better shoes, components, places to ride, etc etc. I just finished buying parts for a 29" mtb I am building and I blew through my $700 "budget" and am sitting closer to $1000. As soon as the parts all get in I'll post some pics. There is always something nicer out ther, I try to get something at the leading edge of "good" and be happy with that. After "good" bikes and on into "great" it starts getting really expensive IMO. As long as you use it the $$ spent is justified, however.

localmotion
11-24-2007, 12:34 PM
yea, I think the bike i have will be good enough for my plans. I dont plan on doing anything hardcore, just the casual ride to get outdoors and to exercise.

localmotion
11-24-2007, 02:27 PM
anyone know what pressure the rear Manitou Radium R shock shock should be set at? I have it at 100 right now.

Henrythewound
11-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Ask a good local nike shop or over at mtbr. It will depend on your weight with gear and what kind of terrain you mostly ride and how plush you want the ride to feel. Too soft and you will flex while pedaling. too hard and you might as well have bought a hardtail.

ecchamberlin
11-25-2007, 02:21 PM
You should have gotten a little book on each shock in your package of paper work for the rig. It will tell you psi's and how to adjust rebound and dampening.

localmotion
11-25-2007, 03:19 PM
ahh thanks guys! I went to the store and asked them today.

Man, riding clipless pedals is a pita! Im sick of falling already!

Chapman88SR5
11-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I never fell when I first switched =)

I might have missed it early in the thread but what pedals are you running or just the stock ones?

ecchamberlin
11-25-2007, 05:10 PM
o Pedals - Crank Bros Candy C Clipless

http://peakbikes.com/uploads/mkiii_sport.jpg

Never used those pedals before. I run Shimano 747's. Just give it some time and you will wonder how you ever went without them. Is there a tension adjustment on the pedals? If so, back them off so you can get out of them easier. I run mine as loose as the adjustment will allow.

I remember when I bought my first good bike and went on a ride with the guys from the shop that same day. First time in Clipless pedals. Still in the parking lot just tooling around came to a stop and fell right over in front the entire group.

I think once you begin to automatically plan ahead for them, like approaching an obstacle that is super technical and popping one foot out, then they will show the true advantage.

Another thing I like about the SPD pedals it that you can also put power to the cranks in the upstroke instead of just in the down.

paddlenbike
11-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Congrats on the new ride!

First time I rode with clipless pedals I went down several times because I couldn't clip-out. Like Eric said, if those particular pedals have a tension adjustment, turn it down until you get used to it. In my case, I've been riding Shimano SPD pedals since 1999 and they've been set loose the entire time. I just upgraded to Shimano M540s and set them on loose just like my old ones. These particular pedals won't unclip when pulling up, so the likelihood of coming accidently unclipped is low, and in fact, I can only remember accidently coming unclipped once in the last eight years.

I bought a full suspension bike late last year to replace my hardtail and haven't looked back since. It's only 0.5 pounds heavier than my hardtail (about 25.2 pounds), pedals 99% as efficiently and I can ride it *hours* longer than the last one due to the increased comfort level.

While the initial investment can be high, I think this sport has actually saved me money in the long-run. If I were a golfer, I would be paying $70 for a round of golf. Looking at it that way, I think I just justified some new bike upgrades. ;)

Chapman88SR5
11-27-2007, 11:59 AM
ha thats good paddlenbike

in fact i have bb7s and race face cranks on the way! except those are from santa so i guess i didnt really pay anything =)

Henrythewound
11-27-2007, 07:43 PM
keep in mind on thos crank brothers pedals you can swap the cleats on your shoes for an "easy" or "hard" release. swapping the left and right mean you will have to twist your foot more to get out. I have some of the Mallet C and plain ol' eggbeater pedals.