PDA

View Full Version : Using LT front suspension for general wheeling and rock crawling

Cebby
11-05-2007, 07:50 AM
This is an offshoot of Bruce's LT thread.

I have a few general questions about the TC Stage 2 Caddy kit:

Is the 2nd Gen 4Runner Stage 2 Caddy kit suitable for rockcrawling/general wheeling? Or is it more geared to high speed - from the looks of your setup Bruce, you've truly got the best of both worlds.

Will stock backspaced 15" SR5 alloys clear the lower uniball? I've got my stock SR5 beadlocks I'd like to use.

With stock backspaced 15" SR5 alloys, would they be completely under glass fenders? (tough fender coverage laws here in PA)

How do the longer T100 CV's handle higher horsepower applications (like my 1UZ for example - est. to be around 300hp at the crank)

Since there are some experts here, I can't think of a better place to ask...

BruceTS
11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Tough call on which route is better, since it's so easy to do a SAS to a 2nd gen. Cost would be about the same. Considering your location as a factor, going high speed offroad really isn't much of an option, but the wet conditions usually means getting wheel speed to heat up the tires to gain traction.

Just remember, if you choose to go the TC gen II kit, you'll need to do the heim steering and idler arm as well, stock linkage just plain sucks. Personally I'd do a SAS, especially with all that extra HP your gonna produce, those 7.5" front diffs aren't that strong.

slosurfer
11-05-2007, 06:09 PM
I've been pondering the same thing. Like Bruce said cost would be about the same, but would it be about the same if you tried to have a SAS that was capable at high speed dune running. Seems like it might be more expensive to go with an SAS that was capable of both high speed desert and rock crawling, but I really don't know.

AxleIke
11-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I would have to say, it depends.

You can build a SAS stronger, you can drive LT faster.

Basically, which do you do more often? Rock crawl, or speed? If you rockcrawl with a little speed here and there, go SAS. If you speed and rock crawl here and there, go LT.

Price is a wash. I worked out a TC kit for my truck vs a swap with cromo and custom housings, plus SAW's at all 4 corners, using a kit. It was only about a grand to 1500 more for the swap.

slosurfer
11-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Basically, which do you do more often? Rock crawl, or speed? If you rockcrawl with a little speed here and there, go SAS. If you speed and rock crawl here and there, go LT.

That's the problem, I have Pismo dunes less than 30 minutes away, but have plenty of rockcrawling trails in the Sierras that I want to do, and then there are all the cool desert trails. :headscratch: I have no money right now anyways, so it really doesn't matter. I'll be rocking the bj spacers for awhile.