PDA

View Full Version : Brake noise

ABryan
11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
On my 99 4runner I have had some interesting brake problems… After buy the 4runner there was a slight pull to the left, driver side, and the steering wheel would shake at high speeds. I changed the pads and the rotors and the problem left. A few months later the same issues returned. I had the drums and rotors turned at NAPA and installed new pads, which squeaked like crazy, and installed new calipers. The left side still had a slight warp in the rotor and so the steering wheel still would shake at higher speeds. I again, last week, installed new rotors and new pads in the font. Now it still pulls occasionally to the left, when braking and I have a slight vibration in the pedal when slowing at slow speeds 30 mph ish.(like the anti-lock is kicking in) The steering shake is gone but there is now also an occasional grind/squeak that I hear and feel. It feels like the truck has set through a wet weekend and built up a small amount of surface rust. But yet it is parked in the garage and I cannot replicate this grind/squeak sound. What am I missing??? Everything is New what is the problem??? All of this is to eliminate a low rumble and vehicle vibration that I get at 70mph or more. I have new tires and had the tires and wheels road force balanced and all u-joints & CV joints look at and are good I also removed the driveshaft and had it rebalanced… I am at a loss of ideas. Any thoughts would help thanks…

reggie 00
11-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Did you bleed the brakes?
Checked fora sticking caliper?
Wheel alignment since things might have been shaken loose from before?
Wheel bearings properly greased?

No expert by any means but thats what i would start with. Hopefully some of the more "Master Techs" will chime in for ya.

Good luck

Robinhood4x4
11-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Did you use factory parts?

ABryan
11-06-2007, 05:29 PM
All parts are from napa and yes i did bleed the brakes the calipers should not be sticking since they are new.

Cabin2N
11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Get your alignment checked. Could be a loose joint or rod. Maybe the tire needs ballancing?

Tankota
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
It sounds like you covered just about everything there. It couls possibly be loose/warn front wheel bearings. Try jacking the truck and checking them with a prybar.

Seanz0rz
02-19-2008, 09:43 AM
All parts are from napa and yes i did bleed the brakes the calipers should not be sticking since they are new.

my left caliper sticks after i applied too much disc quiet to the pads and shims. it squeezed out on the guide pins. not supper bad but enough to make it pull to the right a bit on hard braking. ill work on it next weekend, so that just something else for you to check.

it should be noted that when i bought the hawk lts pads, they already had material between the pad and shim, but when my caliper leaked brake fluid all over the left pads, it took out that material.

also steering wheel shake may be due to worn out steering rack bushings. wheelers offroad has the replacement kit.