PDA

View Full Version : How to jumpstart starter?

Robinhood4x4
11-05-2007, 09:28 PM
A while ago I went wheeling and the starter wouldn't fire at all. One of the guys on the trip used a long socket extension to short something together. With the two "things" shorted, the starter worked perfectly

My question is what did he short together? After looking at the starter I can't figure out anything that a straight piece of steel can connect. This is for a 3.0L starter.

slosurfer
11-05-2007, 09:30 PM
are you sure he didn't just tap the solenoid causing it to unstick

Robinhood4x4
11-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't think so because he thought it was worn contacts (which it wasn't).

slosurfer
11-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I take it he was wearing gloves as he would have got a nice little shock if he was jumping two points

slosurfer
11-05-2007, 09:46 PM
looking at this
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/starting/1starter.pdf
I don't see what he could have jumped

reggie 00
11-05-2007, 09:56 PM
The only thing i can think of is he shorted the battery and ignition terminals. Basically bypassing the ignition switch causing the solenoid to engage and spin the starter.
I have a starter testing cable to do this in the box, so i dont have to go to the ignition switch every time i want to start up to do something. just turn the key to the on position.

surf4runner
11-06-2007, 12:30 PM
^ sounds right.

looking at the testing section from the manual, seems like those tests will acuate the solenoid the same way shorting them together would do when installed.

sschaefer3
11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
A while ago I went wheeling and the starter wouldn't fire at all. One of the guys on the trip used a long socket extension to short something together. With the two "things" shorted, the starter worked perfectly

My question is what did he short together? After looking at the starter I can't figure out anything that a straight piece of steel can connect. This is for a 3.0L starter.

I was there, they did not "short" anything, they "knocked" or "tapped" on the started while you cranked it. It was enough to make the contact connect.

They knocked on it while you cranked it.

sschaefer3
11-06-2007, 08:34 PM
are you sure he didn't just tap the solenoid causing it to unstick

That is all they did. Yes.

Robinhood4x4
11-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh, ok. I thought for sure they shorted something...I didn't hear any knocking.

Cool, thanks Steve.

oly884
12-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Haha, that 3.0 starter is a PITA to get to, even for a tap. I had the same issue on my old truck. I tied the tapping thing, but it wasn't happening. So, in a new starter went.

A few days later I found the thread on replacing the contacts, that made me happy.

jayzus
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
gosh whats up with all these starter issues.. ive had my 4runner parked for like 1.5 weeks because i cant get it to turn on.. i replaced the starter with one from autozone. but suposably i was told that it might be because i need to get the original toyota starteR!!!!

cooldry
01-31-2008, 04:48 PM
I had issues with the starter. Had a Bosch starter placed in at Pep Boys. It kept going out on me so I finally pulled it out and put in a toyota starter and no more problems.