PDA

View Full Version : Pulled my CV apart while replacing the boot...

Tanto
11-08-2007, 04:03 PM
I pulled the inner joint of my Tundra axle apart accidentally while I was replacing the boot. All the bearings and the cage is intact, but neither I nor an axle shop can get this joint back together so that it articulates. I cleaned out the grease to see if anything was broken and as far as I can tell, nothing was damaged.

So what I'm asking is this: Is there is a trick specific to resetting the cage in these axles?

I would just get a new axle, but these Tundra axles I use are modified so they go for about $400 a pop.

BruceTS
11-08-2007, 04:09 PM
yes there is a trick, I do it all the time when rebuilding them, give me a call, I'll see if I can walk you through it, if not come by my place and we'll get it fixed.

Tanto
11-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Kickass, Bruce. As always, you have the answer.

MTL_4runner
11-08-2007, 05:02 PM
yes there is a trick, I do it all the time when rebuilding them, give me a call, I'll see if I can walk you through it, if not come by my place and we'll get it fixed.

Bruce, how about letting the rest of us in on this little trick too?! ;)

BruceTS
11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
next time I get a chance to rebuild CV's I'll take some pictures showing step by step on how it's done. The outer CV's are different compared to the inner Tundra Cv's, but I have rebuilt both types, quite simple once you figure out how it's done.

BruceTS
11-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Bruce, how about letting the rest of us in on this little trick too?! ;)

http://bruce.calrockx.com/4runner/misc/D06916.jpg

upper left picture is the Tundra inner CV apart

upper right is the inner star with cage assembled, note how the 6 balls are placed. They are grouped together forming a sort of triangle. You achieve this by keeping the cage offset from the inner star.

lower left shows the slots in the axle stub where you align the assembly.

lower right, assembly going together....

ecchamberlin
11-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Nice Bruce! That info would have helped Ryan and I a lot of frustration a few months ago when we took it apart to do the boots.

Now Ryan will have a spare to take with him for Baja which never hurts ah?

Tanto
11-10-2007, 05:29 PM
No kidding!

Bruce was very cool with everything. Even showed me how my steering stops were contacting my lower arm. Once he ground them off, I have a much improved turning radius which kicks serious arse.

Thanks again for helping me out, Bruce.

BruceTS
11-10-2007, 05:31 PM
We fixed a few other issues while Ryan was here as well..... Had to pull the driverside axle, due to a missing seal on the outer CV and as stated, grind off the steering stops to clear the lower control arms, something that is required in the original install instructions from Total Chaos.

Texas Jim
11-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Kudos, to you Bruce for helping Tanto out!!! Thats the best thing I have witness all day!!! Glad to be associated with someone as quality as you!!! :thumbup: TJ

KZN185W
11-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Hi,

Is the Tundra CV a direct bolt-on to a 3rd gen 4Runner? What specific parts are needed to do this mod? Also, what advantages & disadvanatages does this mod offer?

Thanks!

Seanz0rz
11-23-2007, 04:25 PM
a tundra cv swap is needed for long travel suspension. this mod is not intended for stock setups, or anything with a stock length control arm.