PDA

View Full Version : question about rim backspacing and lift kit

jayzus
11-14-2007, 10:33 PM
ok well i was looking into getting some new rims and tires as well as with time a superlift suspension kit.. but.. im not sure if the rims i want to get and the lift it self will fit.. can someone offer me more info here are the link.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT51655.aspx <<< link for the lift
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findWheelDetail.do?rcz=78552&rc=TXMINT&yr=1991&wd=15&c=6&dVeh=dVeh&pc=52449&rw=&bp=&vid=010140&tc=MBMBLI<<< link for the rims..

any information is very appreciable .. thanks!

elripster
11-14-2007, 10:45 PM
You'll want to get 3.5" of backspacing or less.

Just curious, but why the bracket lift?

Frank

jayzus
11-14-2007, 10:53 PM
the i think the back spacing on the rims is like less than an inch, so i think thats cool.. but the bracket.. i dont even know.. im just looking for a good lift my 91 4runner but there isnt really much for coils.. i wanted to do a coil to leaf suspension lift.. but this bracket one. looks ok.. or do u have better ideas?

traben27
11-14-2007, 11:17 PM
the i think the back spacing on the rims is like less than an inch, so i think thats cool.. but the bracket.. i dont even know.. im just looking for a good lift my 91 4runner but there isnt really much for coils.. i wanted to do a coil to leaf suspension lift.. but this bracket one. looks ok.. or do u have better ideas?

Coil to leaf? You mean like a conversion? There's really no point in doing that with an IFS front end. Most people don't do that swap until they've got a solid axle up front. I'd stay away from bracket lifts.

I've decided that if I could do it all over again (not considering a SAS) I wouldn't even lift it until I had all of the armor/gearing/lockers/recovery equipment in. Then once I had all of that I would do ball joint spacers with relaxed t-bars, a 1.5-2" coil lift in the rear and some 33s. In my opinion, that combination will get you a lot farther than most people will give credit to. It all really depends on what kind of wheeling you're going to do.

On the wheels, I'm not really sure on the whole backspacing thing, but we put a lot of those wheels on at discount, they aren't my favorite but maybe it's just because I prefer the black steelies :hillbill:

jayzus
11-15-2007, 07:10 AM
wow.. thanks for the info. yea i guess im going to have to do that.. because if i wanted to lift my truck it would cost a fortune, and as a college student with a work study job.. like the little money i have goes to things like this.. lol but thanks for the heads up. and im not really going to be doing the whole wheeling thing.. here in texas .. deep texas.. the worst off roading i do. is taking it to the sand dunes at south padre island!

traben27
11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
wow.. thanks for the info. yea i guess im going to have to do that.. because if i wanted to lift my truck it would cost a fortune, and as a college student with a work study job.. like the little money i have goes to things like this.. lol but thanks for the heads up. and im not really going to be doing the whole wheeling thing.. here in texas .. deep texas.. the worst off roading i do. is taking it to the sand dunes at south padre island!

I know what you mean on the college student thing, I wish I had more money for my truck. If you're not going to be wheeling it, then you could really just do what I did for my lift, but with the OME coils. Actually just get the OME 1.5-2" kit from trdparts4u, its not too expensive and it'll give your truck a nice stance.

elripster
11-15-2007, 01:21 PM
There are a few much more financially manageable lifts. The bracket lifts are fine for a more cosmetic light off road rig. You can make them stronger but you are welding trusses, etc... not sure if you want to do that. TRDParts4u.com is a good source as is 4crawler.com and www.toyteclifts.com. Ball joint spacers will give you more suspension travel something the bracket and torsion bar lifts will not do.

Frank