PDA

View Full Version : ATF vs. power steering fluid

slowheelin
11-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Anyone know if ATF and power steering fluid are the same thing??? The guys at AutoZone seem to think so. I'm replacing my power steering pump and I got power steering fluid but the manual calls for ATF. :headscratch:

Thanks

slosurfer
11-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't know what the difference is but I do know that ours do take ATF and not power steering fluid.

Seanz0rz
11-17-2007, 12:43 PM
the toyota's call for atf in the power steering system, it is better suited as a hydraulic fluid. also cuts down on one less kind of fluid i have in my garage,

between dad's v10 taking 5w20, the old honda taking 20w50, the 4runner and mom's honda runs 10w30 or 10w40, then i got atf, red and green antifreeze, 4 different types of gear oil, two diff types of gas (2 cycle for the hedge trimmer), dot3 and 4 brake fluid, im sure theres other stuff im forgetting. /rant

Robinhood4x4
11-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Absolutely not. Use only ATF in your toyota steering pump.

slowheelin
11-17-2007, 03:36 PM
I went back and got the ATF. All done, back on the road now.

^VooDoo^
11-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Wow, I didnt know that, Book didnt mention anything like that, I may just have been ignorant at the time, Ive used PSF all this time, What are the downfalls?
This last pump is the second longest running one Ive had, Its A moderate squeel since I got it but hasnt failed in over 100k mi.

DHC6twinotter
11-29-2007, 06:25 AM
I've always used ATF for my power steering. I was kinda surprised when I first found out to use the stuff, but it has worked fine for the past 5 years. Saves me from buying another kind of fluid. :clap:

mnmstoy
01-15-2008, 03:39 AM
unknowing at the time but I used PSF in two pumps and they all leaked really bad...and that was in one year. I am on my third pump with ATF and it's been two years now with no leaks.
with the PSF the leak came from the pump on the shaft that the pulley rides on.
Mike
Go with ATF even with my hydro assist....I still use ATF.

seems this thread is some what old but still great to read if unsure what to use in your toyota.

4runnerchevy
01-15-2008, 06:12 AM
I run a Chevy pump, I use ATF, and I also run Hydro Assist. A few reasons to use it 1: It makes a great hydraulic fluid and is actually used in alot of industrial apps (Toro). 2: It has some substance for cleaning in it (I want to say detergent, but thats not true.) 3: Its red so leaks are more apparent. 4: If you stick an airline in P.S. fluid (for a test) it foams alot more than ATF, so it fights cavitation. Always use what the manufacturer recommends, they do it for a reason.

MTL_4runner
01-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Using PS fluid usually causes leaks from either the PS pump or the steering rack.
I second what Steve said, only use ATF in your PS system, period.

Brenjen
01-22-2008, 02:53 PM
My 95 developed a slight leak & I had to add fluid every 1,000 miles or so & my wife borrowed my truck, put in some regular P/S fluid & now it leaks out so fast I have to add some every 20 miles or so. Can you say "repair" As soon as it gets warmer I've got to tackle it.