PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen Roof Fuel Storage Idea

ecchamberlin
11-17-2007, 10:26 PM
I am not sure this belongs here so Mods please move it if this should be some where else.

So I was tired of nearly running out of fuel on longer runs in the desert. So this is what I came up with to avoid that situation again. I went with the 2.5gals because I did not want them standing up so tall on the roof and they are easier to handle when filling the vehicle tank because they weight half as much as a typical 5gal.

I bought 3- 2.5gal Scepter "runt" fuel cans and 1- 2.5gal water can from Brigade Quartermaster. Then went to Home Depot and bought some 1/8" 2"x2" angle. Set the cans in place and marked out the holes for the angle pieces. Drilled holes in both the angle pieces and the factory roof rack cross bars. Finished the top of the angle pieces off with sections of wind shield wiper fluid tubing that I liquid nailed to the skyward edge.

Something that the pics do not show is that these cans have notchs on the bottoms that I set the roof rack cross bars to fit in so that they cannot slide front to rear either. I also flipped the rear main roof rack cross bar around so that it is extra support for rear movement.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/gascangoodsidefrontIMG_3037.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/gascansgoodfrontIMG_3038.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/gascansgoodbracketIMG_3039.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/gascansgoodrearIMG_3041.jpg

Tested this setup out today on a pretty rocky trail. Seems to work well so far.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/turn00.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/wheel00.jpg

...and I destroyed a side wall of a tire today but this pic still shows them on the roof.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/ecchamberlin/carnage02.jpg

If anyone wants to do this just ask if you need more info than is here.

Bighead
11-18-2007, 04:26 AM
Now that's a nice idea. Beats the hell out of paying for a full roof rack.

xonetruthcrewx
11-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Right On. Out of curiosity, where are you going that you will need that extra gas? What are they, 3 gallon containers?

Bighead
11-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Right On. Out of curiosity, where are you going that you will need that extra gas? What are they, 3 gallon containers?

According to the first post they are 2.5 gal. containers.

slosurfer
11-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Eric, very nice. I was about to write something about them sliding forward and flipping up, but then I reread that the bar sits in a groove on the cans. Good job! This will also work for those that have the full size cans, you can simply lay them on edge and they will be about the same height of the smaller cans.

When I did the mojave trail, we didn't do many of the side trips and I had to use my extra 4 gallons of gas and I barely made it. I was really wishing that I had more to put in. A couple of the fj cruisers that were with us went through about 10 extra gallons and barely made it also (these were ones that had their AC going constantly and had pets in them, so they were left running even when stopped). Death Valley is another place that comes to mind where you definately want at least that much extra gas.

freejake3
11-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Looks killer EC. Well thought out. The only suggestion I would make, taken
from a beach perspective of course (and for aesthestics as well) would be
to change the hardware to Stainless. The hardware you have currently will
start to deteriorate and rust. Before you know it that rust will be making
its way onto the roof and let's not think of what happens next. THis is,
of course, if you have not already used SS. Are those ratchet straps or
just the standard cinch straps? Again, nice mod and one that plenty of
others will undoubtedly use.

When you do want to step up to a roof rack just let me know and I'll fab
one up real quick like.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/affinis/rack/HalfRack025.jpg

Seanz0rz
11-18-2007, 10:27 AM
great mod! im just going to have to find those cans in a non carb version, as the nozzles on the carb versions ALWAYS leak, even though they are designed not to.

ive got the surco rack. so i just need to get some expanded metal and put down in the rack so things dont fall through.

ecchamberlin
11-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I used to have a Yakima Load Warrior rack and I was shocked at how high it sat on the factory bars and how bad my mileage was with it. Especially since I did not have stuff on it very often.

The idea here was to keep the weight as low as possible and have little or no impact to MPG when the cans are not on it. There is also no way I could get in my garage with a roof rack so that kinda directed this also. I baby the hell out of my rig everywhere except on the trails. I have a 2 car garage and 2 cars so she stays inside most of the time.

The straps are ratchet straps. Good advice on the SS nuts and bolts. I thought about it but had this stuff on hand. The angle is aluminum so that should not be and issue. Will have to see how it works out. Thanks for the build offer though. I have always dug how low your rack on the Taco sits and how you have you CB antena on it also.

CARB? "I never heard of it" LOL (anyone remember this quote from Red Dawn about the Geniva Convention?) Old School movie right there! Love it!

The spout that I bought with these is excellent. I will post up a pic of it. You have to get what works you know. If the container and spout are Carb cert'd but you end up spilling fuel, did you really help the environment? Or just continue to over complicate our laws.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Robinhood4x4
11-18-2007, 01:53 PM
How come the little crossbar is cut?

ecchamberlin
11-18-2007, 03:01 PM
funny that you ask that. When I first got my runner I had this idea to put lights up there for camping that would shine on the sides. Bad Idea that I never actually finished up although I went as far as to mount the lights. Never wired them up.

So now they are there just as a tie down loop screwed into the main rail track.

randver
11-18-2007, 03:48 PM
you could also always slide the front main roof rack bar back. so it sets against them like the back one does, then there would be no way they could go forward.

xonetruthcrewx
11-18-2007, 05:01 PM

According to the first post they are 2.5 gal. containers.

Damnit, it guess i should read the whole thing before i open my mouth. Haha. Oh well.

slosurfer
11-18-2007, 05:03 PM
The spout that I bought with these is excellent. I will post up a pic of it. You have to get what works you know. If the container and spout are Carb cert'd but you end up spilling fuel, did you really help the environment? Or just continue to over complicate our laws.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

If you get a super siphon hose, you can fill up without even removing them from your roof. Although it is good to have the spout also. I borrowed a super siphon on the mojave trail and it worked great without even unstrapping the can(I really need to order one :shake:).

I will have to modify your idea for the side to side stops to work on my thule MOAB basket.

ecchamberlin
11-18-2007, 07:47 PM
you could also always slide the front main roof rack bar back. so it sets against them like the back one does, then there would be no way they could go forward.

Good point. I had not thought of that. That being the case and a fine idea I think I may need to hit up the junk yard soon to get an extra main cross bar and at least 2 more small cross bars.

I do still haul stuff like doors and lumber for work on the house with the Runner so I will still need one main bar all the way forward. I imagine those parts will be very available and cheap at the junk yards.

Any excuse to go to the junk yards is a good one. I love looking around those joints.

Seanz0rz
11-18-2007, 07:49 PM
eric, make me an offer on mine. ive got 3 flat roof pieces and the 2 main bars sitting in my bedroom. i even have the nuts that sit in the track.

ecchamberlin
11-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Sean glad to hear you still have your nuts. LOL just kidding.

I will do just that. PM to follow.

Seanz0rz
11-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Sean glad to hear you still have your nuts.

oh those nuts? ex took them when she broke up with me. they are in a jar on her bookcase

randver
11-18-2007, 10:56 PM
unless you plan to permanently store them on the roof, why buy a 3rd one? when you can just slide it back and forth as needed.

ecchamberlin
11-19-2007, 07:31 AM
since I do want to get extra small cross bars, sliding the forward main bar back and forth would mean taking those smaller ones off to get it to sit against the front of the cans. No big deal Sean made me a great deal on a complete set.

I can still put a bunch of crap up there if I need to.