PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS recommendations between Rino 110, GPS 72 and eTrex Legend

ttora4runner
11-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm looking at getting a handheld GPS so I can use it for mtn. biking/hiking/offroading. Right now I'm considering theses:

Garmin Rino 110 GPS Unit With 22 Channel FRS/GMRS Radio
Garmin GPS 72
Garmin eTrex Legend GPS Unit

Do you guys have any experience with these and price is an issue.

[Edit - Good Times - Thread title clarified from "Garmin GPS" to "Garmin GPS recommendations between Rino 110, GPS 72 and eTrex Legend"]

ecchamberlin
11-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I have a Rino 130. I like it a lot. Screen is really small but it does what I need it to do. I think with the 2 way radio it is really the better set up for biking and hiking. Weather channel is also really useful. Battery life is pretty good.

Robinhood4x4
11-25-2007, 07:33 AM
I have a legend and have played with the 60 and Vista. When I recommend GPS's I always say to get the one with the most memory. The legend has 8 megs and I consider it barely acceptable. Memory allows you to load street maps and topo maps for your area of interest, however, 8 megs is only enough to for half of LA or all of san francisco, or all of phx. The problem comes when you have to travel through more than on map area or if your destination is right on the edge of the map. You can't load more than one area at a time or you have to have a laptop with you.

Of course this also assumes you want additional maps which means you need the CDs. Now, the 72 doesn't have any memory so you can't load any maps on it and I don't even know if it has a basic built in map because the website says it doesn't have a map. I can't imagine it has nothing because it would be practically useless.

So out of your list, I'd suggest the Legend, but if possible I'd upgrade to the color legend because it has 64 megs of memory and color is much easier to read. Also be aware that the normal legend uses a serial port so if your computer doesn't have rs232 connection you'll need to get an adapter.

The cheapest place I've found is www.gpsnow.com. You need to put the gps in your cart to see the cheap price. The legend was $130.

reggie 00
11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
found and got one of these today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magellan-eXplorist-400-GPS-Receiver-Clip-Case_W0QQitemZ290186236400QQihZ019QQcategoryZ94874 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wasn't so much worried about color. has decent memory, 16meg user and 16meg of loaded maps, SD card expandable.

32 left. was 36 when i got mine this afternoon.

ttora4runner
11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I ended up picking a the garmin legend and topo cds at Bass Pro the other day in a combo package.
It's kind of neat.