PDA

View Full Version : Odessa Canyon/Calico Area. 12-9-7

xonetruthcrewx
11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Its been a little while, time for another run. I havent been out to this area yet and the weather is good so lets do it. Running Odessa Canyon for sure and if theres time left in the day, maybe some of the other easier trails in the area.

Lets meet up at Barstow Chevron Food Mart - 913 Barstow Rd. Its right off the 15, super easy to find. Lets meet up there at 0830 and take off shortly after that. The Start of Odessa Canyon is about 15 minutes from the meet spot. Right On.

YotaGirl
11-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Dang, I have a Christmas party to attend that afternoon. I'll tell Justin, he might want to go.

I love the Doran Loop. It's a great trail. You guys will have a nice time.

RobG
11-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Cool, I was wanting to get there next month and up pops this thread.

About 70% sure I can make it. Is it OK to bring my 10 year old Daughter?

xonetruthcrewx
11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
For sure. The Wife is coming along with me this time. Gonna leave the little one with Grandma though.

Seanz0rz
11-27-2007, 03:41 PM
well if the locker is in and bumper comes in by then, maybe!

xonetruthcrewx
11-27-2007, 07:42 PM
well if the locker is in and bumper comes in by then, maybe!

You always say "maybe".

Seanz0rz
11-27-2007, 07:56 PM
thats because i never know ;)

xonetruthcrewx
11-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Bruce, Charles, Where you at?

calrockx
11-29-2007, 07:10 PM
i've seen this thread.
i don't know....
loooong drive, wasn't super impressed with my last trip out to calico.

we'll see.

xonetruthcrewx
11-29-2007, 10:15 PM
You need to come so you can bring me those rear cruiser coils. :D

xonetruthcrewx
11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Hopefully im not the only one that comes out for this. Errrrrr.

I was thinking of running Phillips Loop first, its a short scenic trail. 2.7 miles, takes less than an hour. From there we will head over to Odessa Canyon for the real fun of the day.

Come on people, lets go wheel!

YotaGirl
12-01-2007, 02:05 AM
I told Justin about this trip. Right now, he's planning on going. If anything changes I'll let you know.

Are you going to only run Odessa or are you planning to do the whole loop. I really recommend the whole loop. Justin knows where the trail is to get over to Bismark from Odessa. Bismark Canyon is right on the other side of Odessa and it's also where the Gatekeeper is. It's always neat to see who has jammed their rig in the crack. There is a bypass for the gatekeeper that lets you out at the staging area.

xonetruthcrewx
12-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Good deal. Planning on running the entire loop for sure.

RobG
12-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Looks like I'm in for sure. Haven't done these trails with the 5spd yet so it should be interesting. Looking forward to it.

xonetruthcrewx
12-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Excellent. I too am looking forward to this.

xonetruthcrewx
12-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Well, crappy weather is coming. Its supposed to snow here at my house. If it does snow, Grandma wont be able to come up and babysit the little one. That would mean i am out. Nothings for sure though. Im just going to have to call it as it gets closer.

Another thing, its supposed to be raining out in the Calico area Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Dont know if its going to be the best time to go. What do you guys think?

RobG
12-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah, it looks like the weather may be a problem. Last minute call is fine. I'm OK with anything rain, snow, sun, somewhere else. Just let me know by 6am Sunday.

xonetruthcrewx
12-05-2007, 05:56 PM
So you dont care if the weather is crappy out at Calico? How are things out there under heavy rains? Does it flash flood? The low for Barstow Saturday night is supposed to be 27. Its even possible that there could be snow/ice. The high for Sunday is supposed to be 48. The cold dosent bother me at all, just thought i would check with you guys.

I will know Saturday afternoon if Grandma is gonna make it or not. The main thing is the weather out at Calico though. Thats what is bothering me. Flash flooding is not a good thing to be caught in. Ya know? Especially with the very small amount of rain we have had this year.

RobG
12-05-2007, 06:37 PM
It sounds like most of the rain is going to be Thursday/Friday with showers Saturday/Sunday. I don't think they really have a clue right now and it could all change for the better or worse.

I don't want to do do anything stupid but I'm up for a little rain or snow. Haven't been out in over a month and the Wife and younger Kids have other plans so it's a good day for me. If the weather is too bad I'll stay home and work on the rear bumper so I don't need much notice. Lets see what happens.

xonetruthcrewx
12-05-2007, 06:58 PM
For sure. I will keep an eye on things and hopefully all works out. If the rain is light on Sunday that would be good. No dust either. I hate dusty ass trails. I guess we will make the call Saturday afternoon. Right On.

YotaGirl
12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Just a note of caution...those trails can be slippery when it gets wet, and it is a narrow canyon, so flash floods are possible. You might want to call Calico to see what the conditions are out there on Sunday morning just to be sure. We want everyone to be safe. Here is the number... 760-254-2122

xonetruthcrewx
12-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Thanks for lookin out Jen. Looks like the weather is not what they thought it was going to be though. Things are looking really good for Sunday.

YotaGirl
12-08-2007, 02:33 PM
We had hardly any rain up here...tomorrow should be really nice. I'm jealous I'm going to miss it. Justin will have fun, though. I'm going to help him load the truck up tonight so he'll be ready tomorrow morning. :D

YotaGirl
12-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Just checked out the weather report. Snow level is expected to be down to 3000 ft. tonight to early tomorrow morning. If anyone is coming up the 15 through the Cajon Pass be sure to bring chains...just in case. The pass is at 4290 ft. So snow could be a possibilty. With past experiences, CalTrans is sometimes slow to clear the freeway during the first snowfall. Leave early to avoid delays.

Hope this helps...especially those taking the 15.

xonetruthcrewx
12-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Well, im gonna have to cancel. I have brake problems with the truck and i would rather not drive it until its fixed. It brakes, but if i had to do a panic stop, someone would be getting a TJM shoved up their ass. Whats even worse, a special toyota tool is needed to bleed the brakes. The brake system on this truck sucks ass.

Have fun if the two of you decide to go without me. If you dont go, we will definitely reschedule this for the near future. I'm supposed to get more snow tonight so who knows if Grandma could even make it up in the morning to babysit. They like to shut down the 58 when it snows.

Post up what you guys decide and if you dont go we will all come up with a date to reschedule.

RobG
12-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Well, if your not going I am going to cancel too. Not sure if anyone else was going or not.

Hopefully next time.

Rob

xonetruthcrewx
12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah, it sucks but my brakes really are screwed for the time being. The more computers a vehicle gets the less the owner can work on it. Now im forced to go to the dealer. Maybe i can find a local shop that has the capability to do the brake bleed. We'll see. I'm pissed either way. I havent been out to Calico yet and i was really looking forward to it. The only other person that was going to go was Justin. I hope he sees this tonight. We will replan this for the near future though, no worries there. Maybe early-mid January. As soon as the brakes are good to go i will post up and we will figure out a date.

YotaGirl
12-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Sounds good. When ever you want to go...Calico is pretty close to us.

xonetruthcrewx
12-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Good deal, everyone got the memo. We will definitely reschedule. Maybe we can get a bigger turnout also. Probably in a month or so. Who knows though, maybe a Christmas run if people are interested. I have 11 days off for Christmas. I will get bored if i dont plan something. Haha.

YotaGirl
12-08-2007, 10:53 PM
That would be fun. We could also try hitting up the Stoddard Wells area. I've never been there before, but I heard there are some really hardcore trails.