PDA

View Full Version : stir, stir, stir....

oly884
11-30-2007, 07:12 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/ap_on_re_af/sudan_british_teacher_57

I'm going to highlight some funny things in this article.

KHARTOUM, Sudan - Thousands of Sudanese, many armed with clubs and knives, rallied Friday in a central square and demanded the execution of a British teacher convicted of insulting Islam for allowing her students to name a teddy bear "Muhammad."
ADVERTISEMENT

The protesters streamed out of mosques after Friday sermons, as pickup trucks with loudspeakers blared messages against Gillian Gibbons, the teacher who was sentenced Thursday to 15 days in prison and deportation. She avoided the more serious punishment of 40 lashes.

They massed in central Martyrs Square outside the presidential palace, where hundreds of riot police were deployed. They did not try to stop the rally, which lasted about an hour.

"Shame, shame on the U.K.," protesters chanted.

They called for Gibbons' execution, saying, "No tolerance: Execution," and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad."

Nice, really nice. Sounds like they are not insane.

The women's prison where Gibbons is being held is far from the square.

Several hundred protesters, not openly carrying weapons, marched about a mile away to Unity High School, where Gibbons worked. They chanted slogans outside the school, which is closed and under heavy security, then marched toward the nearby British Embassy. They were stopped by security forces two blocks away from the embassy.

WTF, "NOT openly carrying weapons" why even say that?

The protest arose despite vows by Sudanese security officials the day before, during Gibbons' trial, that threatened demonstrations after Friday prayers would not take place. Some of the protesters carried green banners with the name of the Society for Support of the Prophet Muhammad, a previously unknown group.

Many protesters carried clubs, knives and axes — but not automatic weapons, which some have brandished at past government-condoned demonstrations. That suggested Friday's rally was not organized by the government.

Oh, I get it now, just not automatic weapons :roll:

A Muslim cleric at Khartoum's main Martyrs Mosque denounced Gibbons during one sermon, saying she intentionally insulted Islam. He did not call for protests, however.

"Imprisoning this lady does not satisfy the thirst of Muslims in Sudan. But we welcome imprisonment and expulsion," the cleric, Abdul-Jalil Nazeer al-Karouri, a well-known hard-liner, told worshippers.

"This an arrogant woman who came to our country, cashing her salary in dollars, teaching our children hatred of our Prophet Muhammad," he said.

Britain, meanwhile, pursued diplomatic moves to free Gibbons. Prime Minister Gordon Brown spoke with a member of her family to convey his regret, his spokeswoman said.

"He set out his concern and the fact that we were doing all we could to secure her release," spokeswoman Emily Hands told reporters.

Most Britons expressed shock at the verdict by a court in Khartoum, alongside hope it would not raise tensions between Muslims and non-Muslims in Britain.

"One of the good things is the U.K. Muslims who've condemned the charge as completely out of proportion," said Paul Wishart, 37, a student in London.

"In the past, people have been a bit upset when different atrocities have happened and there hasn't been much voice in the U.K. Islamic population, whereas with this, they've quickly condemned it."

Muhammad Abdul Bari, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, accused the Sudanese authorities of "gross overreaction."

"This case should have required only simple common sense to resolve. It is unfortunate that the Sudanese authorities were found wanting in this most basic of qualities," he said.

The Muslim Public Affairs Committee, a political advocacy group, said the prosecution was "abominable and defies common sense."

Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, spiritual leader of the world's 77 million Anglicans, said Gibbons' prosecution and conviction was "an absurdly disproportionate response to what is at worst a cultural faux pas."

Foreign Secretary David Miliband summoned the Sudanese ambassador late Thursday to express Britain's disappointment with the verdict. The Foreign Office said Britain would continue diplomatic efforts to achieve "a swift resolution" to the crisis.

Gibbons was arrested Sunday after another staff member at the school complained that she had allowed her 7-year-old students to name a teddy bear Muhammad. Giving the name of the Muslim prophet to an animal or a toy could be considered insulting.

The case put Sudan's government in an embarrassing position — facing the anger of Britain on one side and potential trouble from powerful Islamic hard-liners on the other. Many saw the 15-day sentence as an attempt to appease both sides.

In The Times, columnist Bronwen Maddox said the verdict was "something of a fudge ... designed to give a nod to British reproof but also to appease the street."

Britain's response — applying diplomatic pressure while extolling ties with Sudan and affirming respect for Islam — had produced mixed results, British commentators concluded.

In an editorial, The Daily Telegraph said Miliband "has tiptoed around the case, avoiding a threat to cut aid and asserting that respect for Islam runs deep in Britain. Given that much of the government's financial support goes to the wretched refugees in Darfur and neighboring Chad, Mr. Miliband's caution is understandable."

Now, however, the newspaper said, Britain should recall its ambassador in Khartoum and impose sanctions on the Sudanese regime.

___

Associated Press writers Jill Lawless, David Stringer and Kate Schuman in London contributed to this report.

Think of me what you will, but sorry, these people are freaking insane.

reggie 00
11-30-2007, 08:15 AM
"Think of me what you will, but sorry, these people are freaking insane."

That sir is an understatement.

"Now, however, the newspaper said, Britain should recall its ambassador in Khartoum and impose sanctions on the Sudanese regime"

Actually i think everyone in the UN should pull their People and enable sanctions.
They have the religion so far whacked it will take decades no centuries to put right.

Freakin jackmehoffens.

tacoclimber
11-30-2007, 09:17 AM
The Islamic jihad against Christians in the Sudan is ages old. Interestingly enough, we don't hear much about it here in the U.S.

And before anybody gets their knickers in a twist, and brings up the Inquisition, etc., yes I do know my church history. That doesn't change the issue.

I have a good friend who has been to the Sudan several times and can testify firsthand to the particular atrocities committed against Christian men, women, and children.

Cebby
11-30-2007, 06:50 PM
My baloney has a first name....

It's M-u-h-a-m-m-a-d....

That's nucking futs. "Pilot to bombadier, pilot to bombadier..."

Bob98SR5
11-30-2007, 09:01 PM
i really think we should treat them according to their laws if their citizens are here. so if they blashpemously criticize any of our hallowed institutions, we should whip their asses too...or better yet, kick their america hating asses out.

oh, i noticed the story did not include this little important tid bit: the teacher asked a boy named muhammad, what they should name the teddy bear. he said "muhammad". the school children all agreed. so after the story broke, the young boy came forward with his parents and told the story...and said that the teacher should not be punished. but these f'g muslim radical b##ches still insist that she should be whipped and jailed. now isnt that ironic and telling how this young kid has the common sense and decency to speak up, whilst these idiot muslim radicals cannot separate fact from zealot lunacy.

fustercluck
12-01-2007, 05:56 PM
To be frank, I understand the offense. I don't recognize Mohamed as anything more than a man with the gift of persuasion. But, when something I view as sacred is belittled, I am at least quietly annoyed. I think it is a primitive mind which thrusts upon others the consequences of apostasy for disbelief and in this case unintentional tresspass.

Relative to consequences, I don't understand why in Islam, everything undesirable must be met with death and/or disfigurement. What sort of callouse god must they perceive that would visit upon his children such blood and horror for the slightest misstep? These characteristics are more congruent with the nature of the adversary to God and His declared designs for His children as I understand them. Historically speaking, various peoples have found themselves worshipping false gods and imaginations whose requirements, when superimposed with the distorted and corrupt designs of the natural man, lead to the loss of life and freedom of the innocent and the helpless.

In my observations, if a religious creed does not promote the temporal advancement of man, build his character, and edify his nature with qualities that allow for the freedom and life of others, then that creed is a false one. It is a lever of the adversary to be pressed against the fulcrum of the natural man to frustrate the desires of God in this probationary period of our existence. I see these characteristics in radical Islam today and even in the tolerance of it in moderate Islam.

Look at the many fatal conflicts around the world. How many involve Islam imposing it's will on it's pacific neighbors through deadly force? Now if I were a stranger to this world and happened to consider the three branches of Abrahamic religion, I'd have to select Judaism or Christianity as the most praiseworthy and desirable for their peaceful nature and gently persuasive methods. The most that will occur should one transgress or fall into apostasy, is excommunication. While this end holds great spiritual gravity, there is no pretense of oppression by fear and compliance for self preservation.

I am concerned that these behaviors will be found within the borders of these United States before the end of my term here. Time to buy another AR15 :angel:

oly884
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Bravo Fuster, Bravo.

I need to get myself a FN/FAL, another XCR (it'll be a SBR :drool: ), and ideally a 338 lapua, .416, or a 50 BMG. Of course I COULD deal with a .408 cheytec.

I do wonder what the justification for those that disagree with me, and the rest of us that have posted in this thread stand on this issue. I think it is VERY clear that it is an issue that cannot be swept under the rug. To do nothing about it will result in poor outcomes for us.

However, these people show no signs of civility, because I think when you call for the death of someone over a prophet's name being used on a teddy bear (when several men have the same name) I can't think they are the type of people that will sit down at a table and accomplish anything but killing.

arjan
01-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Those people have a primitive culture and a primitive religion. They were better off as colonies imo. Western people should either run the place or stay out all together, in between doesn't seem to work at all.
I know this sounds quite ignorant, but we are wasting our time and money there. Western people go there with the right intentions, but when they make a mistake everybody is calling for their head on a stick so to say.
When somebody calls a teddybear mohammed it's an issue, when their religion gets used as an excuse to blow up innocent people and wage war, it's all good. Give me a break.

Bob98SR5
01-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Arjan,

Well said...and where ya been?!? :)

What's worse is that we allow these same beotches into our country and into the rest of hte civilized world, let them live off our social systems, allow them to talk their terrorist, america hating trash, and allow them to plot our destruction...and worse yet, there are bleeding heart lawyers willing to take their case pro bono. sound alarmist? nope, you can find such cases in the ACLU's own press releases.

man, i hate people who talk sh#t about america. especially other americans

bob

arjan
01-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey Bob,

I've been around, never been an extravagant poster. (15xx posts in 5 yrs on Yotatech)

I agree, our culture has to stand its ground against oppressive religions. Europe is suffering and all that "understanding" in Holland has led to Dutch people changing their culture to allow the muslims to have their way.
Muslim women want public sector, government jobs, but don't want to shake hands because that's against their religion. Quite frankly: f-off, go to your own primitive country and stay there so you can live like that.
Others want to bottom feed (read live of welfare) of a western country without integrating one bit. I think every western country needs rules along the lines of sending them back if they can't support themselves for at least 5 years. That'll weed out most of the bottomfeeders imo.

One the subject of bitching about the US, I've found myself defending the US on more then one occasion, especially while in Holland.
There are a lot of leftist people with major tunnel vision over there. The longer I live here, the more it becomes obvious to me.
I usually also give them a friendly reminder that if the allied countries would only mind their own business (common comment in the EU), the 2nd world war and their way of life would likely have turned out slightly different. The US and Canada fighting abroad was convenient and appreciated back then, but nowadays we have no business in places like Afghanistan. Helping the US and Canada over there is the least what they can do I think. It's a small price to pay compared to liberating Europe.

Enough ranting for tonight, as you can see, my line of thinking is not far off most of you guys's. Their also a lot of people who feel like I do in Holland, it's just that there is a large leftist movement over there also and I strongly disagree with them.