PDA

View Full Version : Went shooting today

Robinhood4x4
12-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Over the weekend I picked up a Springfield .40 cal XD subcompact for the desolate desert drives around here. The competition was a glock of the same flavor, but in the end, I wanted something different. I guess that's kinda like the toyota Vs jeep debate too.

On top of that, I also picked up a Browning Superlite Micro 20 gauge semiauto for the wife yesterday. Needless to say, my trigger finger was itchy so we had to go shooting today to try our new toys.

The shotgun kicked harder than I thought it would, but I think it was the heavy loads we were using. Once she got into the rhythm of things Miki started breaking clays left and right. I was really proud of her.

Next up was the Springfield. Seems pretty accurate to me, right out of the box. I was really impressed to see the very first shot hit about 1" from the dot. The factory 155 gr hollow points kicked harder than I thought they would, but the reloads I bought weren't bad at all. It's not an elegant gun like a 1911 is, but the XD shoots well and is comfortable despite it's short stature.

Here's how it shot at 11 yards, off hand, modified isosceles stance. The targets are standard 8.5x11 letter paper, the dot is about 1"
http://www.robinhood4x4.com/misc/temp/targets.JPG

reggie 00
12-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Nice.
That will get it done alright.

TDiddy
12-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Gotta love Springfield - I have the XD.40 with the 4" barrel.

Thumper
12-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Great choice of weapons. I have the 4" XD 45 (230 grain JHP) and love it. I originally bought a 4" XD 9mm but upgraded this fall because more firepower is good!! My wife has a Beretta 92FS and a Remington 11-87 Sprortsman Camo 20ga.

Texas Jim
12-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Come on here, you can't compare a Glock & a Springfiel XD, like the difference between a Jeep, and a Toyota. First off the don't even come close to being a Toyota, just simply because of price compairson of each! You want to buy a Toyota of hand guns buy an HKP2000SK in a LEM trigger. Sure it cost more, but so does a Toyota! It will out shoot the XD and is all the more concealable.

HK has a pattoned recoil reduction system! Also when shooting the 40 S&W cal. weapon is a very snappy shooter. Many say as much, if not more than a 357Sig.

If you look at your target on the bottom of the page, to the right, your showing hand fatigue. Your shots are going to the left of the target because of "pushing of the weapon," anticipating the snap, of firring the weapon.

What you need to do is get some, "snap caps" they are dummy rounds that you can teach your muscles to have memory. They can be found at any hunting good store or gun shop where you bought the weapons.

Have your wife load the magazines and you look away while she loads it. Have her place one or two snap caps, into the magazine so you don't know where they are. They shoot just like normal. when the snap cap comes up take great notice of what you are doing? you will be surprised to find out all the weird little stuff you do.

I am not critiquing your choice of weapon, but I hope I have given you some tips that will help you out. By the way it is almost always, women can shoot better than men so don't be surprised when your wife kicks your rear end. Just don't bet to heavily on it. lol

Also, don't shoot the 3" inch mags in the shot gun except for home defense.

Happy & Safe Shooting!! TJ

oly884
12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Ahhh, the 40 short & weak.

Step up to the 10mm and be a man!!!

My doubletap 135 gr. JHP kick like a mule out of my Glock 20

In only slings them down range at 1600 fps.

Robinhood4x4
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Good point about the HK comparison.

Actually, the bottom right target was the first target I shot that day. I think it was more a matter of getting used to the gun and also experimenting with the modified isosceles stance. I've always shot using a weaver stance but I'm trying to change.

Why would I want something that kicks like a mule for a concealed defense gun? I think the only one I'd want that kicks hard would be an ultra light scandium/titanium and thats only because the benefits might outweigh kick.

Texas Jim
12-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Good point about the HK comparison.

Why would I want something that kicks like a mule for a concealed defense gun? I think the only one I'd want that kicks hard would be an ultra light scandium/titanium and thats only because the benefits might outweigh kick.

Do not get the 44mag in one of those. I had one and the first shot, put a blister between my thumb and for finger. It shot a flame about 5' from the end of the barrel. It also jambed my thumb for days....LOL. Talk about a hand cannon...LOL

The 10mm was designed to replace all FBI service weapons. The female cadets have a very hard time handling it. so Smith & Wesson could see the writing on the wall and developed the 40 S&W round. I would love to have a 10mm in an HK but they only make it in an MP5 full auto. There are 10mm conversions around made out of USPf 40, but I would never buy one converted. TJ