PDA

View Full Version : Will this be reported as a hate crime?

oly884
12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12062007/news/regionalnews/subway_girls_pummel_rider_960649.htm

Since the victim is white, my guess is no.

traben27
12-06-2007, 11:35 AM
They question whether it's real or not. It looks pretty much 100% genuine to me. You're right, there's no chance this will be reported as a hate crime.

AxleIke
12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Of course not.

Racism only works one way in this country. If you're white and middle class, you deserve it.

Makes me sad.

oly884
12-06-2007, 11:58 AM
It makes me mad, not sad. (haha, that rhymed)

I hate the idea of "hate" crimes. Who cares what the motivation for a crime is. Murder is usually caused by the "hatred" of another person, isn't it? Why should color, sexual orientation, or religion make a difference?

The only thing that hate crimes portray is that they are different than us.

Though, under current laws, this crime should be prosecuted as a hate crime, I'd rather not see it done so, as with ALL future crimes. However, I/we do not live in an ideal world, thus, I say, "throw their asses in jail where they belong, and tack on a few months/years because it involved race."

neliconcept
12-06-2007, 01:15 PM
if this is real, regardless of race, picking an innocent passenger in a subway and taunting to beat his ass does not sit well with me. They should do hard time!

Tofer
12-06-2007, 01:17 PM
That crap pisses me off..... and then the black community wonders why people think they are so critical of them..

i would have fought back, beat some lil girl ass.

randver
12-06-2007, 08:11 PM
you call me: redneck, Hillbilly, Slaker, Cracker, Honkey, Whitey, Gringo, Sage, white bread. and you think it's OK. But when I call you: jungle bunny, spear chunker, coon, wet back, jiggaboo, porch monkey, sand nigger, rag head, towelhead, Camel Jockey, Gook, Spook, NIGGER, KIKE, whoope, slant eyes, or Chink. you call me a racist.

-You have the United Negro College Fund.
-You have Martin Luther King Day.
-You have Black History Month.
-You have The Miss Black America Pageant
-You have Cesar Chavez Day.
-You have Kwanza
-You have Yom Hashoah
-You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi
-You have the NAACP.
-You have BET.

-If we had WET(white entertainment television) ...we'd be racist
-If we had a White Pride Day... you would call us racist.
-If we had white history month... we'd be racist.
-The Miss America Pageant used to be predominantly white until the NAACP sued to allow more black girls, yet Miss Black America Pageant is ALL black Girls and no whites are permitted.
-If we had an organization for only whites to "advance" our lives... we'd be racist.
-If you apply for a government job, you get 50 extra points, just for writing your name.
-If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships...you know we'd be racist.
-In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights...you would call us racist.
-Did you know that some high school students decided to make a club for only the white students because the other ethnicities had them. they all got sent to court for being racist but the african-american, Latino, and Asia clubs were not even questioned.
-You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

I am white.

and

I am proud.

But, you call me a racist.
Why is it that only whites can be racists?

Tofer
12-07-2007, 08:43 AM
GOOD POST!!!!

04 Rocko Taco
12-07-2007, 08:51 AM
VERY true! i've brought up every one of those points before!

tacoclimber
12-07-2007, 10:11 AM
While I agree with the hypocrisy that seems to pervade our culture concerning racial ethics, I do feel that we need to walk carefully through discussions such as these as to not further inflame our own attitudes and frustrations.

I cannot change others. But I can change me.

oly884
12-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Absolutely, CJ.

Though I think that, at least my, justifications are due to a long and growing problem. The issue is that Randver's post can be looked at as a bit on the "racist" side, or the "that might offend someone." I know because I noticed it too. However, we shouldn't feel this way. All points bring up valid arguments.

If Dr. King were here today, do you think he'd agree or disagree? Judging by what he said is his speech,

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

The red text is why I have an issue with hate crimes in general. A crime is a crime regardless of one's color.

At no point did I read that he imagined a world in which blacks were given special treatment. I know that I want us to all have equal opportunities, not one group getting a benefit over the other. And before anyone tries to play (the rich get more opportunities than the poor, or whites have better opportunities than blacks), please read the story of Chris Gardner. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Gardner) (or watch "A pursuit of Happiness") You want to talk about an inspiring story, then listen to that man. If you want to have better opportunities for yourself, then put yourself in a position where it will happen.

The only thing that hate crimes, NAACP, or ANY other race watchdog/support groups do is promote the idea that "they are different than us" or "we are different from them." Because, if they are no different than us, then why need these groups?

tacoclimber
12-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I fully agree. It's just that in situations like this (re: this discussion), I do my best to live up to the conviction "Blessed are the peacemakers...". :angel:

That being said, I do believe that we have created a society of "entitled people", who expect to be handed life's pleasures rather than earning them.