PDA

View Full Version : 3.4 swap - ORS Crossover - Smog Referee

funjumper
12-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Has anyone in California done a 3.4 swap, used the ORS Crossover pipe, and gone through the Smog Referee process?

Were there any problems?

Is there anything I should know before I go?

Does anyone know of of a referee station that has approved this setup already?

It seems like a good idea to go where others have gone before.

Other than the ORS Crossover, the rest of the install is going to be completely stock. I have the stock intake system and I am planning to make the conversion look as close to factory as I can. I hope that if it looks factory and is nice and clean, the referee is likely to be less picky than a sloppy looking install with an aftermarket intake.

In theory, you are supposed to have an EO number (exective order) from CARB (California Air Resources Board) for aftermarket intake and exhaust parts.

If you have the stock exhaust manifolds, and are using a crossover constructed with parts of the original pipe, you should get a pass on the requirement for an EO number for the crossover. I don't know for sure. That is why I am trying to find someone who has been successful.

If it comes to pass that I fail and I have to buy headers with an EO number, I am going to be quite unhappy. The manifolds, EGR pipe, and crossover have all had JetHot coating applied.

I plan to build the exhaust system so that if I need headers, there won't be too much re-work required.

Or I'll move to Oregon. ;-)