PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new battery, Optima, interstate, or something else?

Seanz0rz
12-09-2007, 05:46 PM
so i went out to the truck to get a tool out of the back today, and the doorlocks didnt work, nor did the alarm, i opened the door with the key, and the alarm went off, but at the level of a wrist watch alarm. battery is dead. truck has been sitting with out running for long for more than a week, and the battery is highly crusty, its a cheap costo battery, time for a new one.

so i know i need a deep cycle. i would buy an optima with out question, but i have heard some very bad things about them lately. heard wonderful things about interstate, but do they have a sealed deep cycle batter? it will see alot of offroad use, will eventually run a winch, and multiple offroad lights, etc, etc.

also, im not made of money, so best bang for buck will be considered.

thanks for the input in advance. i know its been asked before, but i couldnt find a definative answer (like ill get one here!)

Cebby
12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Optima supposedly has some QC problems lately - that being said, I bought a red top for my WJ about 6 months ago - it's been flawless thus far.

If I had the bucks, I'd have gotten an Odyssey though - they are apparently the gold standard.

Robinhood4x4
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
I got a blue top optima, but only a couple months ago. I probably would have gotten the odyssey if I had done my research a little better. So far so good with the optima. BTW, the blue top is smaller than normal so you'll have to figure out a way to hold it down.

RobG
12-09-2007, 08:36 PM
I've had an optima red top for almost 2 years and while it does a great job at keeping battery acid off the radiator I'm not impressed with its ability to hold a charge. Had to jump it again today because I left the ignition on too long while working on it. It's partly my fault but I expect more than it delivers.

Pretty sure my next battery will be an Odyssey. I wouldn't say don't buy an optima but maybe look for something better.

Marc P
12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
I am on my 2nd Interstate since 2001. I buy them at the distibution plant down here. They have "blems" for $30.00

I figure if I can get good performance for 3+ years from a battery, that is money well spent.

Seanz0rz
12-09-2007, 09:39 PM
odyssey is going to run me in the 250 range. id perfer not to spend that much on a battery.

humanoid
12-10-2007, 12:04 AM
The Everlast Gold from AutoZone seems to get pretty good reviews and it goes for about $75 I think.

elripster
12-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Exide 34XCD, it's one heck of a battery. I have one in my truck and while it is not by definition a deep cycle it's 45Ah is waaaaaay more than enough reserve. It has the lowest internal resistance (<3mOhms)to get an 1100 amp delivery. That's incredible. To give you an idea, all the EV guys use this battery because it holds up so well and they absolutely punish batteries.

Just curious, why a deep cycle? Unless you are planning to drain the battery often it would be better for longevity to get a normal higher current batt like the Exide. Deep cycles like the long slow drain to lower SOC and have higher internal resistances (means get hotter faster) than their higher current siblings. There might be exceptions but at least research the peak current capability because that is what starter batteries have to face, high peak currents, when they start our vehicles. It's the heat from high current flow that can start to break down the battery.

Frank

Seanz0rz
12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
well i ended up with a duralast gold battery. seems great. sure it will last me at least 3-4 years, which is fine, at that point i will likely have a dual battery setup, one high cca and one deep cycle.

for me, the deep cycle is nice because i like to run the carPC with the engine off, and that can take some time, esp when im updating software or files.

elripster
12-18-2007, 05:00 PM
carPC? Haven't heard of that. What is it? Do you mean a laptop?

Frank

Seanz0rz
12-18-2007, 05:16 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/Center%20Console%20Fab/100_0271.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/100_0250.jpg

kind of old pictures, top is my custom center console housing my mini-itx motherboard with a 1.8ghz p4, 512 ram, 60 gig shock mounted hd, with a 150watt dc-dc 12v power supply with shutdown controller. second pic is my custom bezel for a 7 inch widescreen LCD touchscreeen. i use it for GPS and music mostly, then i have some movies on it for passenger entertainment when i need it (Rare).

working on a 15" digital map, using an old laptop screen and then fabbing up case for it. something for my copilot to hold on to for topo maps, or to mount on a bracket that can be attached to the new center console for my viewing.

havent had much time to work on it lately, im sure that will change come winter, when i have more free time while im at school.

anyway, running that computer takes a bit of juice, not tons, but enough for me to want a deep cycle.

jayzus
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
dang sean.. your getting there. hows the fiberglass going?

Seanz0rz
01-17-2008, 12:41 PM
dang sean.. your getting there. hows the fiberglass going?

with luck, there will be a thread update come the weekend on my center console build.

4runnerchevy
01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Do not use interstate batteries, they are crap. Enough said :argue:

NakSuKow
01-18-2008, 04:28 AM
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries.htm

I am a fan of odyssey batteries.

4runnerchevy
01-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Get a battery that is sealed and can be mounted on any side. So when your belly up it will start when tour back on your feet :thumbup:. Also you don't want a battery that is sloshing around when your wheelin.

bigarms23
01-19-2008, 07:53 PM
just run an optima to be on the safe side

Seanz0rz
01-19-2008, 09:41 PM
but the best i can tell is that optima is no longer the safe bet it used to be. thats the debate here. regardless, im happy so far with my duralast gold. when i go buy a winch and such, then ill switch to a deep cycle.

elripster
01-20-2008, 03:35 PM
You know, unless you are running a winch or something that can pull heavy current for extended periods of time any SLA (sealed lead acid) will last like I dunno, 7 years or so? However, typically we are often planning on winches, etc, so getting a powerhouse is good.

I just go by what the EV (electric vehicle) guys say to an extent (I research the internal resistances and other specs too). I attend their meetings once and a while. They destroy high end batteries so fast it's ridiculous in their EV conversions. They are all about the Exides these days so take their opinion for what it's worth. They have gone sour on the Optima's because of their high failure rate in their cars.

Frank

4runnerchevy
01-21-2008, 05:54 AM
Exide is probably one of the best battery companies in the world ( I think there are 3 manufacturers for cars left). They make all kinds of batteries that companies put there label on. They also make a sealed battery, "Orbital" I believe.

anthony1
02-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I got my Optima red top in early 2002. I'm still running it. never had a problem...even sitting around for months during SAS mod.