PDA

View Full Version : Hello All from Texas.

freefallmarine
12-15-2007, 03:30 AM
Well I just picked up a 2nd generation 4runner today that is from the original owner who bought it in 93, and it's flawless. My first upgrade is to start with a audio system. Any help will be appreciated, As i do not know what size speaker's are required. Once again Howdy, from Dallas!!!

slosurfer
12-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Welcome to UY. I have a '93 also and love it. :thumbup: Keep it running cool to help with the headgasket issues.

freefallmarine
12-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Slosurfer, Will there still be problem's even after the recalled gasket is serviced? Are there aftermarket companies that make better gasket's or is it a Toyota spacific iteam? Thank's again Chris.

YotaGirl
12-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Welcome to UY!

freefallmarine
12-16-2007, 03:50 AM
Can you guy's tell me which aftermarket brand's there are out there for 4runner's? Id like to start looking for leveling spring's,bumper's, and alot more mod option's. But i don't know which off road shop or company to start with. If there's a site or a must get catalogue please let me know. Thank's.

slosurfer
12-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Slosurfer, Will there still be problem's even after the recalled gasket is serviced? Are there aftermarket companies that make better gasket's or is it a Toyota spacific iteam? Thank's again Chris.

There can still be problems with them, especially if the recall was done do to it actually blowing the headgasket. Those that had it done before any problems arose seem to fair better. Either way staying on top of the cooling system seems to help. I don't remember off hand about the gaskets, but I know that http://engnbldr.com/ is highly regarded for getting the parts to do it yourself. I don't remember if his kit has the gasket or not. I have not had to do mine (knock on wood), but I have only heard good things about him.

Can you guy's tell me which aftermarket brand's there are out there for 4runner's? Id like to start looking for leveling spring's,bumper's, and alot more mod option's. But i don't know which off road shop or company to start with. If there's a site or a must get catalogue please let me know. Thank's.

I'd start with the vendors here. I know wabfab has some stuff for ours, toytec may have stuff for 2nd gens but I'm not sure. Since our vehicles are a little older, you will find that you have to shop around more to find stuff, instead of finding a one stop shop. Sierra Expeditions is also a great place for all your camping gear and many aftermarket parts also (lights, etc...) Let us know more what you want and someone can usually point you in the right direction. Another good thing to do, peruse the "garage" section and see what others are running. It also helps to see what you want your rig to look like and how it performs.

Are you still in the Marines? Semper Fi

traben27
12-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey where in the dallas area are you? I'm from Allen but I'm up at school in Utah right now.

Almost forgot, welcome to UY!

freefallmarine
12-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Slosurfer,OU-Rah!!! Thank's for all your help! Im going to hit the garage after this post. Treben, Ive been stationed in Dallas for the last 3 year's, with securtiy force's and l live in Richardson, off 75 and West Walnut.. Great college community!!! I've only had my truck for 2 day's and i love it! Thank's again for all your help!

jayzus
12-16-2007, 10:40 PM
hey bro what is up man.. im from the rio grande valley.. near brownsville and mexico.. man im like 8 hrs south from you .. hope you have tons of fun with your runner.. i am!

freefallmarine
12-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Jay, Ill see you in March!!! Padre,me crazy!!!

jayzus
12-18-2007, 02:17 PM
haha.. awesome just hit me up with a message and come spring break.. we can go drive around the dunes!! throwing beads at random chicks! :)

freefallmarine
12-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Im going to be at a r/c car race in harlingen. You wouldnt happen to know where the track is would you? Ive got an extra car you can drive.

jayzus
12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
wow thats cool.. i used to know where it was at.. there was the track next to the Fair Park area. but i think they moved behind or next to the auditorium... but if you are going to be around.. just drop me a PM and ill stop by..

freefallmarine
12-20-2007, 04:53 PM
I will, definatly!!

freefallmarine
12-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Wow!, Now i know what you guy's mean by 3.slow.... I need more power...

Seanz0rz
12-26-2007, 08:58 PM
how did i miss this thread?

welcome! glad you joined chat!

yes the BJ spacers and land cruiser coils will work out great for you. bj spacers can be found at www.sdori.com, and the lc coils, look for the fronts from a 1995 or similar fzj80.

as for roof racks, take a look at chris (slosurfer)'s rig.

slosurfer
12-26-2007, 09:16 PM
^^Sean, he would need rear coils off a 80 series for a 2nd gen 4runner, the fronts are used for the 3rd gens. :flipoff:

:lol: No kidding, mine is barely faster than the AAV I used to drive.

Seanz0rz
12-26-2007, 09:55 PM
really? weird. i thought the fronts worked on both.

well damn!

thanks for correcting me chris, appreciate that.

slosurfer
12-27-2007, 07:53 AM
No problem, Sean. The rear 80 coils are a bigger diameter like the 2nd gens, while the 80 fronts and 3rd gens are are narrower.

freefallmarine
12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Thank's for all your help guy's!!! So even with a spring lift for the rear, to level it out, Ill need a front lift too? Will i need to raise the front with the spacer lifts?

freefallmarine
12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I wonder how slow it will be once i armored up my truck?hehe..

^^Sean, he would need rear coils off a 80 series for a 2nd gen 4runner, the fronts are used for the 3rd gens. :flipoff:

:lol: No kidding, mine is barely faster than the AAV I used to drive.

freefallmarine
12-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Im sorry guy's im confused about the land cruiser coils. Do i get the rear lc coils and put them on the front of my 4runner? Sorry for being a newbie..

slosurfer
12-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Im sorry guy's im confused about the land cruiser coils. Do i get the rear lc coils and put them on the front of my 4runner? Sorry for being a newbie..

No problem, it is kind of confusing.

If you are looking to just level out your 4runner by lifting the back end, then you should look into Old Man Emu, Downey, Eilbrach, etc.. springs. These can lift the back end up and get rid of the saggy ass look. If you just level it out, the front can stay where it is at. These brands also have lift springs available if you want to go higher.

Another "cheap" way to lift the rear is by useing the rear coils off of an 80 series landcruiser (if you had a 3rd gen. 4runner, you would use the front coils off an 80 to lift the rear) Not really confusing, you just have to make sure you get the rear coils to lift your rear. I bought a whole set (front and rear) for $50, I used the rears and then sold the fronts for $50 to someone who was wanting to lift the rear of their 3rd gen. Also, I say "cheap" as in you can get the coils cheap or sometimes free, but I have found that you really need to do your homework and get some good matching shocks. If you get some el crappos on sale, you will have a funky feeling rear end. You will also have to lift the front end as the 80 coils give you quite a bit of lift, and you will have a wicked rake going on.

Anytime you lift the rear end on these things much above stock, you will also need a panhard drop bracket. 4crawler and procomp make them, I believe 4crawler's work better for the bigger lifts.

Front your options are:
Bracket lift (not great for offroading, fine for street queens)
Torsion Bar crank (free, but may cause a harsh ride and harder to get the bars to flex)
Bigger Torsion Bars (stiff ride if you don't have a big heavy bumper and are constantly jumping the thing, harder to get it to flex also)
Ball Joint Spacers (1.5" lift, only lift that also adds travel)

Really though, this is all getting too indepth. Once you know what you want your rig to look like and how you are going to be using it, then we could more point you in the right direction. I would start in the garage section and look at other rigs, see which ones have stances that you like and see what they are running. YOu can check mine out by the link in my sig.

freefallmarine
12-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Thank's for explaining everything Chris! I was on the Sdori site and found out that the Toyota dealer here in Dallas is a authorized dealer of Sdori product's They have a package of OME shocks and springs with the Sdori front spacer's. I was wondering if you could take a look at them to see if its a good deal. Im hoping the package will allow me to put on some 33's Im also intrested in the Arb bull bar's and a warn 9000 winch. Thank's for your help again Chris!

freefallmarine
12-27-2007, 03:35 PM
What does the SR5 badging mean?

slosurfer
12-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Thank's for explaining everything Chris! I was on the Sdori site and found out that the Toyota dealer here in Dallas is a authorized dealer of Sdori product's They have a package of OME shocks and springs with the Sdori front spacer's. I was wondering if you could take a look at them to see if its a good deal. Im hoping the package will allow me to put on some 33's Im also intrested in the Arb bull bar's and a warn 9000 winch. Thank's for your help again Chris!

http://www.trdparts4u.com/MC-CACI-BBHG.aspx I would suggest option 2 or 3 to fit 33's although to really fit 33's with no rubbing you should also add a 1 in. body lift. YOu can run 33x10.5 with no lift or these lifts on stock rims with little or no rubbing, and you can run 33x12.5's on rims with 3.75" backspacing with very minimal rubbing. The only cutting I have done so far is to trim a little of the plastic valence. Also, I think those are great deals, looks like they are also on sale. :thumbup: If you still have the stock bike shock that they call a steering stabilizer, I would suggest the OME steering stabilizer that is also on that page.

Also, if you go with option 2 or 3, I would suggest a panhard drop bracket from 4crawler.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/CoilSpringSpacer.shtml

Couldn't tell you what SR5 means, sorry.

YotaFun
12-27-2007, 04:39 PM
SR5, Sport Rally 5 Speed

freefallmarine
12-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Thank's YotaFun. Make's sense now..

slosurfer
12-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Ah, that's what it was. Although by the time ours came around in '93 it was just more of a trim level, as I have a SR5 but it is a 4 speed slushbox. :hillbill:

freefallmarine
12-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Chris is there a place where i can find out about my info on the truck? Like the sticker on the side of the door, where can i deciper that?

04 Rocko Taco
12-28-2007, 11:27 AM
that sticker is usually pretty useless Carl...

a lot of misinformation on those stickers.
You might could have the dealerhsip run down your VIN# for you, but more than likely that will be a dead end also. What info are you looking for?

freefallmarine
12-28-2007, 12:08 PM
just wanted to know paint code, gear ratio, stuff like that.

04 Rocko Taco
12-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Carl, from what we talked about in the chat, sounds like 4.10's but I went over how to verify and check that. You rpaint code is more than like Dark Grey Metallic (Code: 179)

freefallmarine
12-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Cool, Thank's Chris.