PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam Question: Don't get mad 8?)

Deltron
12-17-2007, 10:56 PM
I read the wiki seafoam page and found a lot of the answers I was looking for. But just to make sure I read it right, if I add three cans through the gas tank (as directed) then is no worry about needing to change my plugs and fouling my sensors? Also what sensors is the page talking about? Newb question I know but I really don't know. Also, I've never used Seafoam (150k miles). I'm wanting to start using it but wanna do it slowly and when I have more money if the sensors go bad.

MTL_4runner
12-18-2007, 05:06 AM
I read the wiki seafoam page and found a lot of the answers I was looking for. But just to make sure I read it right, if I add three cans through the gas tank (as directed) then is no worry about needing to change my plugs and fouling my sensors? Also what sensors is the page talking about? Newb question I know but I really don't know. Also, I've never used Seafoam (150k miles). I'm wanting to start using it but wanna do it slowly and when I have more money if the sensors go bad.

1) No, if you add it to your gas tank it will not foul any sensors.

2) It refers to your oxygen sensors (often called O2 sensors)

Try and keep the seafoam as concentrated as you can in the gas tank. Putting 3 cans into a full tank is not the same as putting them into a tank that is only 1/2 full. I have gone as concentrated as running 3 cans in 1/4 of a tank but I think 3 cans in somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 tank is still right about optimal for not having it begin to hurt your gas mileage too badly.

Deltron
12-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Excellent! Thanks.

humanoid
12-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Jaime, I've never heard of adding so much SF to 1/3 or 1/2 tank of gas. Does it really need to be that concentrated to work? Just curious.

MTL_4runner
12-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Jaime, I've never heard of adding so much SF to 1/3 or 1/2 tank of gas. Does it really need to be that concentrated to work? Just curious.

It is basic chemistry that the more concentrated you make the solvent the better it works (ie up to the limit of adding it directly in the engine). The problem is that if you make it too concentrated for driving, your gas mileage can suffer a bit until you refill your tank again. Even at 3 cans to 1/3 of a tank it is still relatively dilute but there is alot more solvent in the gas than you'd get from just running high-test gas. I've had really good luck doing it that way and the teardown pics (intake runners, pistons, etc) on my engine proves that it was working. The benefit to doing this way (which is slower than just adding it right into the intake) is that you don't risk freeing too many deposits at once (which is what fouls the sensors, plugs, etc).