PDA

View Full Version : could it be the timming belt?

jayzus
12-19-2007, 11:23 AM
well lately my runner has been having a rough time idleling.. as well as having a sketchy start up.. i replaced the wiring and the plugs, and that somewhat addressed the issue but not really. someone mentioned to me the IAC but i got no clue how to clean that.. can someone help me out with more tips on what i could fix or look into...... could it be my timing belt thats off.. also.. if it is the timing belt.. how much more or less would it be to get it fixed???

DHC6twinotter
12-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Just some shots in the dark here:

Is your CEL on? Have you checked for any check engine codes? It's pretty easy with a paperclip and may give you an idea what is going on.

Do you have a timing light? You may want to check to see if you are at 10* BTDC.

Cold start injector maybe? TPS? Vacuum leaks?

The IAC is just a adjustment stop for the throttle body, right? I don't think there is anything in there that needs to be cleaned, other than the throttle body itself. Unless the IAC is something else that I've never heard of...

I doubt your timing belt has jumped a tooth. If you fix it yourself, the price of the belt is about $60, but then a you would be better off replacing the waterpump, thermostat, maybe some idler pulleys, etc. Maybe $200-$350 for parts, depending on what you want to replace while you are in there. I don't know what a shop would charge to do this, but it isn't hard to do it yourself...it's just tedious. Hardest part is the dagum crank bolt. But, I don't think that is what your problem is.

Anyways, just my $.02. :D

jayzus
12-19-2007, 09:18 PM
thanks thanks.. gives me better hopes.. because i dont really have time to work on the timing belt if it would have been that.. and my dad wouldnt want me to pay for it to get fixed.. so ill just keep working at it.. today i put in an oil change and it actually idles around what its supposed to be at 800 rpms.. so.. now i just have to get my start up crank better.. :)