PDA

View Full Version : IR Repeaters - for stashing your home electronics out of sight

Cebby
12-26-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm redoing some stuff in my living room and want to stash away my electronics behind a door. I don't want to open the door every time I use the stereo, so this brings up the topic of IR repeaters (or whatever they are called). For those that don't know, this is a way to use your remote(s) while hiding away your equipment.

There seems to be a wide range of systems available and the price varies pretty drastically also.

I'll be looking to control a receiver, cable box, and a DVD player (possibly more stuff in the future)

Here's the system I was looking at:

http://www.partsexpress.com/Tech/182-310.html

For a repeater, amplifier block and 3 flashers, I'm looking at $110 before shipping.

Does anyone have experience with these? (eh hem, Reggie!) Does this seem like a decent deal? Should I be looking at something else? Is there a cheaper way to do this?

reggie 00
12-26-2007, 08:30 PM
That's about what it takes to do an IR repeating system.
You have the receiver, dist hub and the individual IR flashers for each piece.

I dont have any idea as to the quality of this set up. We use Niles stuff.
I can get a display mounted receiver, the hub and 3 flashers for just a bit more. It would actually cost anyone else double but for you....
Similar to this kit (without the Cat5)
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=RCA-SM&recordID=IR%20Kit&categoryID=Ingenious%20IR&catcdID=5&prdcdID=FG01461

What i would use is a MS 200, MSU 140, 3- MF1's
cant imagine shipping would be much stuff would be under a pound.

You would need to run Cat5 from the components to the display with your video cables. Then splice in the MS200 and attach it to the display (generally right next to but not covering the displays IR port) then land the wires at the MSU140 and plug in and attach the MF1's over the IR ports of the components (use a small flashlight to find em if they are not readily apparent).
The only thing to keep in mind is sometimes the repeater hub can overpower the equipment. Then it takes some trial and error to locate the flasher in just that right spot. (really only done it with Dish network boxes).

Pretty simple stuff.

Cebby
12-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Awesome Reggie!

I'm thinking instead of the MS210, I think I'd like a to do a MS110 (FG01414), but the rest works for me. I've got plenty of CAT5, so that sounds pretty easy.

The other piece of the puzzle: The other cabling that has to go to the TV, like RCA's etc, what should I use? Just longer RCA's (we're only talking about maybe 20-30 feet). What about when I add a BR or HD DVD? Is there a source for long HDMI cables? I saw those baluns on Niles' site, but think that is probably overkill for my setup. I'd prefer to do this as inexpensively as possible, since in future iterations, I'll likely have more flexibility on component location.

Can you drop some knowledge on us all, Reg? Thanks!!

TDiddy
12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Mike, what components are you hooking up currently? TV, receiver, DVD, satellite? Do you have HDMI capability now? I thought 5-7 meters was as long as you could run hdmi without needing some sort of booster, but Reggie will probably clarify.

I ordered my stuff from www.bluejeanscable.com Very reasonable and highly recommended from AV sites. I think they are a sponsor on av science forum.

www.avsforum.com

An excellent site for home theater research.

Another one - one I almost purchased - was from Ethereal Home Theater http://www.etherealhometheater.com/

But decided it was probably just bling.

You would be amazed at how much you could spend on cables alone if money was no option.

My receiver has HDMI switching so I was able to run HDMI in to the receiver from satellite and from DVD, and then run one HDMI out to the TV. Three cables total for all audio and video. It sure helps to reduce the mess not needing separate lines for audio and video.

TDiddy
12-27-2007, 02:22 PM
PS here's some info on hdmi length from blue jeans cable

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/how-long-can-hdmi-run.htm?hdmiinfo

Cebby
12-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Tom - it will be TV, regular DVD (until I can swing a HD or BR player), Digital Cable Box and an older receiver (no video capabilities in the receiver ATM).

TV will be off on the wall by itself and all the other equipment will be squirreled away behind a door across the room.

The bluejeanscable site has some nice deals. Thanks for the links.

reggie 00
12-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Awesome Reggie!

I'm thinking instead of the MS210, I think I'd like a to do a MS110 (FG01414), but the rest works for me. I've got plenty of CAT5, so that sounds pretty easy.

The other piece of the puzzle: The other cabling that has to go to the TV, like RCA's etc, what should I use? Just longer RCA's (we're only talking about maybe 20-30 feet). What about when I add a BR or HD DVD? Is there a source for long HDMI cables? I saw those baluns on Niles' site, but think that is probably overkill for my setup. I'd prefer to do this as inexpensively as possible, since in future iterations, I'll likely have more flexibility on component location.

Can you drop some knowledge on us all, Reg? Thanks!!

WS110r is $15 dollars cheaper than the 210. Only thing is you are already pointing the remote at the TV do you really want to point it at a second spot too?

Longer cables are no problem. Gots lots of options to choose from. Have a really good stuff we use all the time. And a dist that i can get some decent inexpensive stuff from. The Extenders using cat5, we just used in a business suite (3 HD Comcast boxes). They are pretty expensive. We have had one instance where we couldnt get em to work. We generally use Gefen stuff when we start looking for solutions like that.

Bluejeans is a good spot for info, but be prepared for a brain overload on some subjects.

HDMI will be the better cable, it will get you digital sound out of the display, but if cost is an issue and you wont have trouble adding it later, (you will need HDMI for the full HD/Blu ray deal thank HDCP) then run Analog and be merry.

Let me know about anything you might need. I usually make parts runs once a week and can pick up stuff for you and ship it out when i check the mailbox.

Cebby
12-08-2008, 06:00 AM
How long can I go on HDMI cables before I get signal degradation? Is 20' doable? What about 30'?

DHC6twinotter
12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Back where I used to work, we used CAT5 for our long runs and used SmartAVI receivers and transmitters. We always used their DVI or VGA products, so I'm not sure if either of those are applicable to what you are trying to do. The set ran about $300-400.

Gefen also makes good stuff, and the church I go to uses their products for the long video run from the sound booth to the projectors.

EDIT: This is what we used to run long video runs on campus: http://www.smartavi.com/products/XTPRO.htm. These devices can also be used to run serial, IR, or stereo audio over the same CAT5 line. They worked pretty well for us, and we used the serial function to turn on and off the projectors from the podiums located in each classroom. I'm not sure how thier HD quality is though, since they were used primarily for pp presentations.

This product may be what you are looking for: http://www.smartavi.com/products/HDX1000.htm. It transmits HDMI up to 330ft, along with an IR signal. Kinda pricey though, but from what I understand, I think it will work nicely for what you are trying to do.

Cebby
12-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I was hoping to avoid the Cat5 route as those are a budget buster. I'm figuring 18-20' should do it - and I'm thinking that isn't too far, but who knows...

EDIT: BlueJeans Cable has lengths much longer than I'm looking for that are HDMI 1.3 compliant

04 Rocko Taco
12-08-2008, 07:26 PM
almost a year to the day....

Your a slow equipment set up guy Mike. :)

Cebby
12-09-2008, 03:54 AM
almost a year to the day....

Your a slow equipment set up guy Mike. :)

I'm just bumping my old threads for shits & giggles. Kinda like....oh never mind. :D

reggie 00
12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
It will fly. Just make sure you use quality stuff and not bargain basement.
We have put in that long and longer.
80% of the Hdmi we end up put in was at least 20-25ft.

DHC6twinotter
12-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Mike, I ran across these IR repeaters on Buy.com: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208190096

I don't have any experiance with this brand, but they are cheap. :thumbup: