PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Seize on wheel bolts and others, yes or no?

Seanz0rz
12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
so ive been taught by my father, uncle, and others to put a small amount of anti-seize on the wheel studs before putting on lug nuts, and tightening them to the specified 81 or 83 ftlbs of torque.

in my research into brake pads and such, ive come across four widely varying opinions on this issue. some say flat out use NOTHING on the threads, and it changes the torque characteristics of the bolt, and can cause stud failure or loss of nuts. others say to use it, but to increase the amount of torque by up to 20% because the anti-seize acts as a lubricant, reducing the friction on the bolt, and could cause it to come loose. . I have seen manufactures and others say to use it but reduce the amount of torque by 20% because the anti-seize acts as a lubricant, reducing the friction that the torque wrench measures. And still others say maintain the same specified amount of torque because each of those reasons somehow equally cancel each other out.

so, whos right? personally i use anti-seize with standard torque.. i recently broke a rear wheel stud, and it was a pain to replace. when i had removed the front wheels last, i had applied anti-seize to those threads, but did not get around to doing it to the rear. I'm pretty sure this is the reason i broke a wheel stud (broken wheel stud was seized in the lug nut) when i removed the wheels to remove the rear axle. when i reinstalled the wheels, i made sure to wire brush the studs, then apply anti-seize.

I have never had any problems using anti-seize, but that doesnt mean its right. until someone else clears this up, i will continue with what has worked for me and others i trust for years. just wanted to see what the veterans and engineers think of this.

04 Rocko Taco
12-27-2007, 12:21 PM
I use nothing on my wheel studs and have never had a problem. I have broken wheel studs, but figure thats all in the course of things if you change wheels and tires often.

calrockx
12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
i just tighten lugnuts as tight as possible hand-tight. er, foot tight i guess, i'll jump on the wrench a bit to make it that much tighter. never had a problem.

MTL_4runner
12-28-2007, 06:13 AM
If you live in a place that doesn't get any snow then use a little wheel bearing grease on the studs. It will keep you from crossthreading as easily or galling the stud by accident (esp if you need to take it to a tire shop and they put a gun to the lugs). If you live where it snows, then just substitute a little anti-seize for the wheel bearing grease (although I've used bearing grease in the past on mine as well).

GSGALLANT
12-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I always use anti-seize and the specified torque on my wheel studs on all my vehicles. Never had a problem.

BruceTS
12-30-2007, 07:20 AM
never use any lubricant on mine and just tighten them with the factory wrench supplied, but no where near the recommended torque specs. Why? IMO the facotry specs is too tight, you end up breaking studs or seizing lug nuts. Used to use a torque wrench in the beginning and had nothing but problems. The way I do it now, it's easy to remove a wheel and I've never lost a lug nut. Besides if you do get a flat with those nuts torqued to factory specs, it's near impossible to break the nuts free with the factory wrench.

xonetruthcrewx
12-30-2007, 10:41 AM
I always use anti-seize and the specified torque on my wheel studs on all my vehicles. Never had a problem.

Same here.

YotaFun
12-30-2007, 11:00 AM
never use any lubricant on mine and just tighten them with the factory wrench supplied, but no where near the recommended torque specs. Why? IMO the facotry specs is too tight, you end up breaking studs or seizing lug nuts. Used to use a torque wrench in the beginning and had nothing but problems. The way I do it now, it's easy to remove a wheel and I've never lost a lug nut. Besides if you do get a flat with those nuts torqued to factory specs, it's near impossible to break the nuts free with the factory wrench.

X2, I just use the factory wrench.
Hand tighten first then make it a little more secure with the wrench.
Never had I had any issues.