PDA

View Full Version : IPod Integration to Stock Headunit

DNAhilux
12-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Well I am trying to find the best way to hardwire the ipod into the stock headunit and would like to know if anyone has any experience with the hardwire options from such companies as USA Spec and DICE to name a few. They plug into the rear of your stock deck and then to some converter they provide then to your IPOD. They have the option for the 99, however I hear mixed reviews on funcionality. I am avoiding the tape and FM transmitter option. Also if anyone has any pics of the rear of their stock deck that would be appreciated. Thanks.

YotaFun
12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
There is someone on TOF (yotatech) that has done this, Starbuck3733t i believe is his screen name over there.

He went on an off-road trip with me and he had done what your looking to do.
The reason I actually remember this is because I was jealous.

he has a 02 limited runner so I don't know if that would be an issue.

The tape is not a bad alternative though, I had to take an after market route cause I was to lay to fix my ipod but I would rather my ipod charge while it is playing.

Do avoid the FM transmitter, they do suck terribly...... imho

DNAhilux
12-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the help. and by going through his posts I found he has a 6CD changer, so I think that is the catch with those hardwires. I was reading on the web about how they use the slave drive or something for the 6CD changers, so it looks like I am SOL with this unless I drop in a 6CD changer. Now ill have to check compatibility with what I have now.

YotaFun
12-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Interesting.
Never would have thought about that.
You don't think you could score a cheap changer on eBay?

DNAhilux
12-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Yup thats what i meant for checking compatibility. Going to see whats on ebay for 6cd changer and what will be a direct swap with what i have at the moment. Im assuming any newer (00-02)3rd gen 4runner will work or even some taco's, but I guess its back to searching the archives!

DNAhilux
01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
So I have been doing some searching and it looks like I will be good with a unit from a company called Axxess, by Metra. Neat features to it. You can get just the straight up one and you control everything from the ipod and it goes for about $50. Or you can get a different model that allows you to control from your deck, with of course limited function. OR. you can add a LCD display that connects to the integration unit and control your ipod from there..pretty slick
http://www.axxessinterface.com/vehicleguide.aspx

neliconcept
01-03-2008, 04:09 PM
well i dont know how mine is done, but its cabled to the back and docks into my cd player, however im using an aftermarket players. so that doesnt help much at all.

only thing i can think of to do is use a mini to mini jack to the ipod somehow and connect it to the stock headunit, all controls goes through the ipod.

then get a cigarette lighter charger for the ipod.

DNAhilux
01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Ya this plugs into the stock cd player where an external changer would be plugged in. It actually also charges the ipod, so no need for a cig. charger.

4x4mike
02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
I used this in my truck http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/fm/fm.htm
I had an Alpine aftermarket head unit but that shouldn't matter. You need 12V, a ground and access to the antenna plug on the head unit. I searched around and found it on eBay for around $40.

DNAhilux
02-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Well i picked up an Ipod2car system by Peripheral but havent updated the post yet as I havent installed it since I was waiting for a backorderd ram mount, and its cold outside!
I did too much reading and found that this will work for my application and should be good.
Also I had a 50$ gift card from the store so it kinda all fell into place. Ill post up when its in.

jrallan26
10-19-2008, 06:48 AM
I am about to do the same. How do you like the IPOD2car setup?

Bob98SR5
10-19-2008, 10:17 AM
i used a DICE cable. look in 4runners.org for a writeup titled "Ipod integration"

arjan
10-19-2008, 11:26 AM
I think I am one of three people on the North American continent who doesn't have an ipod :)

jrallan26
10-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Bob,

I checked your writeup. Very informative. I want to do this from a stock stereo unit from my 02. Will it work?

i used a DICE cable. look in 4runners.org for a writeup titled "Ipod integration"

jrallan26
01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I finally broke down and bought the ipod2car setup from periferal. Once it shows up I will install it. I will let everyone know how it goes.

DHC6twinotter
01-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I think I am one of three people on the North American continent who doesn't have an ipod :)

I'm the 2nd one. :hillbill:

jrallan26
01-11-2009, 01:02 PM
i was the third one up until last week. I got a new Nano for my birthday.

jrallan26
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Update:

I got the complete Ipod2car setup. This included the following:

The module
wiring harness
and a updated cable for iphone and 4th gen Nano (The included cable would work but wouldnt charge.)

So far the stuff is sitting in my office. Its way too cold to install it outside. (-15 degrees).

gilby4runner
01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Sorry for the hyjack,
Bob- love the site and i have learned so much from it!

For the price of the integration unit i believe i am going to stick with the tape deck adapter..lol

Seanz0rz
01-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Sorry for the hyjack,
Bob- love the site and i have learned so much from it!

For the price of the integration unit i believe i am going to stick with the tape deck adapter..lol

i agree with you on that, its not worth the converter unit when you can pick up a VERY decent headunit with ipod capability for under 150.

rworegon
03-08-2009, 07:40 PM
The Ipod2car fit the bill for me as it was cheaper than the Alpine iPod adapter with nearly the same functionality. It has worked perfectly for over two years. I purchased my Alpine headunit one year before Alpine switched to the direct cable iPod capability.

jrallan26
03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I also installed the Ipod2car last month in my Tacoma. Very easy to install. Works great.

CJM
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Only thing I dont like about the fm transmitter is the stupid thing is QUIET I have to crank the head unit and imho the headunit either is going or something (checked wiring all good but it cuts out b/c either the amp draws to much or thing is dying-its old). Also i get this annoying whine noise..tape decked worked better in my old car with adapter but still not ideal.

My brother has a pioneer with integrated and its awesome. Honestly I still prefer CD's only b/c they are more disposable and forgiving than an ipod is and no one wants to steal them..

jrallan26
03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
I keep my ipod in the glovebox at all times. Its even in the glovebox when its in operation.