PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Engine Electrics

Hoo Gnu
01-01-2008, 10:17 AM
88 4runner, 3.0L v6, 5sp manual.After driving 10 miles @ 50mph, 70F, I stopped for 10 min.
Car started right up. Waiting to exit parking lot, idling in neutral for 60 sec., engine died. No stumbling, straight from easy idle to dead.
I turned the key, and...nothing.
20 sec later, I tried again, & it started right up & ran smoothly.
It has not repeated this, but it bothers me.
What would take both spark & start circuits out like this?
Thanks.

fustercluck
01-01-2008, 07:37 PM
By 'nothing', does that mean not even turning over? You turn the key and not even a bump of the starter?

Hoo Gnu
01-02-2008, 04:35 AM
fustercluck: No response from the starter motor. Whatever killed the spark did the same to the starting circuit.

fustercluck
01-02-2008, 06:15 AM
how old is your starter? When you tried again later did you have to turn the key more than once to fet it to bump over?

How do you know there was no spark?

If there was no spark for sure too then I might suspect the ignition switch/key switch. If the starter is old or you have a cheapy re-manufactured replacement, then I suspect the the starter contacts are beginning to fail. When this happens, you will experience the same symptoms more and more frequently until you are forced to bump the starter over or turn the key several times each time you attempt to start the truck. The contacts are cheap and simple to replace.

Hoo Gnu
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
fustercluck: Thanks for your interest. At the time I had only had the vehicle for a couple months. The previous owner said it had a new starter. (That could mean anything).
I think the stalling was electrical because of the abrupt stall. ( No stumbling or sputtering).
If it is starter contacts, thats good news. I replaced the contacts on my previous Toy with a R22 engine, and it was indeed a simple job.
I think both the stalling and the no juice to starter was caused by the same thing, whatever that was.
If it is the ignition switch, well that's good news too. That looks like an easy repair. I was worried about the problem being the electronic "brains" that controls the engine.

fustercluck
01-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I doubt it's the ECU (brains). I didn't get that the motor had been running and then stalled (that's what I get for scanning posts rather than reading them :chair:). When that happens, it's likely a loose wire (Coil/ignitor maybe) or a short circuit.

If it's a short circuit, sometimes that can be seen in the engine bay at night especially if the stalling happens alot. The shorting wire will spark and indicate where it's grounding out. Either way, look for a bundle of wires that are rubbing or vibrating against metal. Check the exhaust manifold area to be sure there are no wires with melted insulation. You probably have already done this, but remove and clean your battery cables and check for contact at both ends of the cable. Frankly, I'd do all of this before I tore into the starter and ignition switch, just to eliminate the easiest possibi8lities first. Hope this helps.

If you find the problem, post it up so we can learn the cause and repair proceedures. :thumbup:

Hoo Gnu
01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Fustercluck: I will post any info I find on this.
Right now the only place I have to work on it is a wind-swept lane that will be sub-zero til April. I HATE working on cars in this weather.