PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley?????

xonetruthcrewx
01-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I want to go. Is there a time when the crew usually goes? Is there someone that usually plans the trip? Whats the deal? Unless someone is the Death Valley Master and speaks up, I am going to plan an upcoming trip. Werd!

calrockx
01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
The past couple big trips have been in April.
At least the 2006 one was, that was a rad trip.

slosurfer
01-01-2008, 07:54 PM
I would love to go in the spring. :D Baby is due any day now, and by then we should be in the groove to where I could take my son for another father/son DV trip whilst mom and daughter get some rest. :D

RobG
01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
So I'm thinking Calico last month and up pops your lets do Calico Thread. This past weekend I'm thinking ok I missed Calico so lets do Death Valley, log on today and here's this thread.

Hoping I can make this one.

scottiac
01-02-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure if I'll make a DV trip this year; a couple of us who've been a bunch are thinking about heading a little further south and exploring some places we've not seen yet.

However, if I can do both, I definitely will!

Timing wise, early March is getting toward the end of the "pleasant" season in the lowlands. Up a little higher, it is a bit cooler, but 100 plus degrees are definitely likely by April. My personal whim trips have always tried for late February to early March. Just my two cents on that.

xonetruthcrewx
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Alright, theres definitely interest. If the usual parties that have planned this in the past arent planning on doing so this year, I will take the reigns.

So when would we all like to do this. March im thinking. Definitely a 2 day trip. Is that enough, or should we do 3 days? What Saturday and Sunday? I personally would like to do Sunday and Monday, but whatever.

How about trails? There is everything from Easy to Difficult. We could run different groups if necessary, that way there are trails for everyone to tackle.

Lets hear your thoughts on everything and try and get a game plan going.

Seanz0rz
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
im planning a mojave road run on the last week of march, during my spring break.

i would like to do DV, but im not sure i could make it with school, but im open for early march, before finals! i could afford to take one or two days off for this!

slosurfer
01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Colin, if it is a two day trip, you will need to pick one certain section of the park to explore as you don't want to stretch yourself too thin trying to do too much.

Depending on when you guys do it, and if I can make it, I'll probably stick around for a couple more days or go a couple days sooner.

xonetruthcrewx
01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
im planning a mojave road run on the last week of march, during my spring break.

i would like to do DV, but im not sure i could make it with school, but im open for early march, before finals! i could afford to take one or two days off for this!

You mean maybe, maybe, maybe? Haha.

Colin, if it is a two day trip, you will need to pick one certain section of the park to explore as you don't want to stretch yourself too thin trying to do too much.

Depending on when you guys do it, and if I can make it, I'll probably stick around for a couple more days or go a couple days sooner.

I hear ya. There is definitely a lot to explore out there and things are spread out a bit. Maybe hang out in Ballarat? Run Pleasant Canyon/South Park one day and Goler Wash/Mengal Pass the other? If we were to do 3 days, maybe we could head out to Echo Pass/Inyo Mine.

Is there other trails that you guys would rather do?

Throw out some dates guys, lets try and plan it so that we can have an awesome turnout.

slosurfer
01-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Colin, are you planning on bringing the whole fam for this trip?

xonetruthcrewx
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Colin, are you planning on bringing the whole fam for this trip?

It is highly possible. Gotta run it all by the Wife once the plans are finalized so she can decide if she wants to or not. Maybe i will just bring a friend. We'll see. What were you thinking?

slosurfer
01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
It would be Jack (3yrs. old) and myself, mom and new baby would stay at home. I did 5 days last year in DV with him and he did great (I just had to listen to the first track on the Curious George soundtrack about a million times) :D

xonetruthcrewx
01-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Haha. We are doing everything we can to keep Chloe from listening to that crap. Shes a rocker. Ha! If at all posible i would like to bring the fam. Chloe will be 2 in March and im just not sure she has the patience to be in the truck that much. We'll see. It may just a trip to leave the ladies at home.

YotaGirl
01-03-2008, 12:49 AM
I am also voting for a Sunday-Monday trip. I know you said March, but if we could swing the weekend of Feb. 24 Justin would be able to go, too. Just throwing that out there. Keep us posted on what you choose.

Also, we would be bringing Caity with us.

xonetruthcrewx
01-03-2008, 06:42 PM
I asked if there were any specific dates people wanted. You are the only person that has requested such Jenn. So how about Feb. 23, 24 and 25th?

I was thinking of camping at Furnace Creek. Yeah? 20 dollar vehicle pass (good for 7 days) and 18 bucks a night.

Saturday the 23rd. I was thinking of heading out early to hit up the first set of trails. The trails would basically go from one side of 178 to the other. The trails would be Fish Canyon Escape Trail to Mengal Pass/Goler Wash to Butte Valley. Should take about 6 hours to get to pavement and then it would be another 30 minutes to Furnace Creek.

Sunday the 24th. Echo Pass/Inyo Mine. Trail head is just 2 miles from Furnace Creek. Roundtrip the trail should take 5-6 hours. Head back to camp and the rest is up to you.

Monday the 25th. Pack up camp. On the way home, hit up Pleasant Canyon/South Park. This trail is just a little off the 178 and loops back around towards the same area. Trail can take 6-8 hours. An early start would be good. After that, hit the road and go home.

How does all of this sound? This is what i would like to do. Its quite a bit, but it would be a good time for sure. Some of these trails could be weather permitting though. Pleasant Canyon hits 6800 ft. Mengal Pass hits just under 4500 ft. That means a possibility of snow.

If you guys are down with this i will go ahead and make Death Valley official. Speak up.

xonetruthcrewx
01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
http://www.nps.gov/deva/ for tons of good info. :thumbup:

slosurfer
01-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Put me down as tentative for those dates, it really depends on how my wife and daughter are doing. I do like the idea of base camping over setting up every night, especially considering that it could be wicked cold.

xonetruthcrewx
01-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Sounds good. I will give it a little longer before i make this thread official.

Also, its gonna be me and a friend. The Wife dosent like the long trips. She said she would just complain the whole time, so she just isnt going to go. Haha.

slosurfer
01-03-2008, 09:20 PM
haha, I know what you mean, April does better on those kind of trips when we don't go with a group and can be completely on our own schedule. She likes the sights but doesn't get that the drive between the sights is also really cool.

RobG
01-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I asked if there were any specific dates people wanted. You are the only person that has requested such Jenn. So how about Feb. 23, 24 and 25th?

I was thinking of camping at Furnace Creek. Yeah? 20 dollar vehicle pass (good for 7 days) and 18 bucks a night.

Saturday the 23rd. I was thinking of heading out early to hit up the first set of trails. The trails would basically go from one side of 178 to the other. The trails would be Fish Canyon Escape Trail to Mengal Pass/Goler Wash to Butte Valley. Should take about 6 hours to get to pavement and then it would be another 30 minutes to Furnace Creek.

Sunday the 24th. Echo Pass/Inyo Mine. Trail head is just 2 miles from Furnace Creek. Roundtrip the trail should take 5-6 hours. Head back to camp and the rest is up to you.

Monday the 25th. Pack up camp. On the way home, hit up Pleasant Canyon/South Park. This trail is just a little off the 178 and loops back around towards the same area. Trail can take 6-8 hours. An early start would be good. After that, hit the road and go home.

How does all of this sound? This is what i would like to do. Its quite a bit, but it would be a good time for sure. Some of these trails could be weather permitting though. Pleasant Canyon hits 6800 ft. Mengal Pass hits just under 4500 ft. That means a possibility of snow.

If you guys are down with this i will go ahead and make Death Valley official. Speak up.

Dates are possible for me, 2 conflicts that I may be able to get around. Weekends after that one are worse.

So are you talking about meeting up near the Fish Canyon Trail head Saturday morning, not staying at Furnace creek Friday night right?

Trail selection sounds good, Sunday may be a little light but those that want to leave Sunday can get an early start.

Have you done any of these trails or are you just going by the wells book?

To early to commit yet, i'm in at about 40% right now.

Thanks for getting this going.

YotaGirl
01-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Sweet! Looks like we're in! I like the Furnace Creek idea (actually stayed at the cabins with the family when I was little). Trails sound like fun, too. Can't wait.

xonetruthcrewx
01-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Rob, hopefully you can make this one. Yeah, no camping Friday night. Just meeting at the Fish Canyon Trailhead Saturday morning. I have never been to Death Valley and i am going off of the Wells books. If Sunday does turn out to be a little light we could head over to Cottonwood/Marble Canyon and run that. We'll see.

Jenn, Right On.

RobG
01-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Sounds like a good 3 day plan for hitting the more challenging trails.

I have run Echo pass (up and back) in about an hour at night. Inyo Mine is more challenging so that may take longer. Might want to consider coming back through Titus canyon although it's not really off road it is supposed to be one of most scenic drives in the park, it was closed when I was there.

You definitely want to stop at Badwater on your way to furnace creek Saturday if you haven't been there before. Walking out on the salt is a cool experience.

Furnace creek is a great area, there is a decent but pricey restaurant, a pizza place, a small general store and most importantly Gas. The tent camping sites were separated from the RV sites and many had shade and soft sand.

Saturday the 23rd is Opening Ceremonies for my daughters (all 3) softball League. If I get a team then I won't be able to come, if I don't I may be able to sneak out. Should know in about 2 weeks.