PDA

View Full Version : Changing page style?

MTL_4runner
03-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Maybe I'm out to lunch, but is there a way to change the look of the page the way you could down at the bottom like on other boards?
Like some sort of pulldown menu or something similar?

I ask because the red on dark gray is a bit hard to read vs just good old black/white.

Cebby
03-26-2007, 10:11 AM
This site is quite a bit more complex on the back end than a simple vB forum. While it would not be impossible to add a feature such as this, it would be a ton of work.

The colors were chosen as a differentiator from other forums (ie blue=yt, green-pirate). We've already made some alterations to the background colors that vastly improved the contrast with the red vs dark grey. After the last alteration we were calling it good.

My monitor is nice and bright, so I don't perceive a problem with the colors as they are currently.

MTL_4runner
03-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Ok, just curious....that solves that. :D

Cebby
03-26-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm not ruling it out as a future possibility at all, but just wanted you to know how we got to where we are. But one thing is for sure, we don't want to be known as Yotatech II or anything like that...

calrockx
03-26-2007, 10:51 AM
I ask because the red on dark gray is a bit hard to read vs just good old black/white.

times a billion. no need for white/black, but right now it's not instantly readable.

My monitor is nice and bright, so I don't perceive a problem with the colors as they are currently.

not everyone will be on a nice bright screen.

Lee
03-27-2007, 07:31 AM
cebby, you can add in more themes then allow members to select their own.

i personally shyed away from it because its hard to control what looks good and where.

bamachem
03-27-2007, 07:32 AM
i didn't like the red at first, but to be honest, it's really grown on me and now i really do dig it.

Cebby
03-27-2007, 07:56 AM

i personally shyed away from it because its hard to control what looks good and where.

I know that I can... I don't wanna. I have double the work since the SMF and Joomla use some different files - 2 sets of CSS, 2 sets of images, blah, blah, blah.

I'll play with the colors a little more as time allows.

Lee
03-27-2007, 09:10 AM

I know that I can... I don't wanna. I have double the work since the SMF and Joomla use some different files - 2 sets of CSS, 2 sets of images, blah, blah, blah.

I'll play with the colors a little more as time allows.

cool :thumbup:

youre doin great man.

MTL_4runner
03-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I found it helped alot to bump up the font to max size in the upper right corner. The small font and the dark colors were just very hard to read, esp on my laptop which doesn't have the brightest of screens.

bkg
04-02-2007, 08:57 AM
I must be getting old, cause I can barely read the red/gray. Another post begging for other options.

MTL_4runner
04-02-2007, 09:08 AM
I must be getting old, cause I can barely read the red/gray. Another post begging for other options.

I hear you.....it takes a little while to get used to it, but after a while you don't notice it as much.
At least bump up the font, that helps quite a bit.

Cebby
04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
The text has been punched up some - hope that helps...

mt_goat
04-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I guess I'm too much of an old goat, but I can't read the small red print on the dark background. And yes, I did select the biggest "A" at the top already. I guess I need a bigger "A" option or more contrasting colors or new glasses or all of the above. Sorry to whine on my first post. :spit:

neliconcept
04-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I have various forum skins that I used for ikonboard, if you need color ideas? ill look those skins up and show them to you all.

neliconcept
04-08-2007, 11:14 AM
though I hate ikonboard and the entire staff but i still let them use my skins

http://ibskins.ikonboard.com/files/kaleidoscope.jpg

http://ibskins.ikonboard.com/files/dark_verital.jpg

these are from the ib site, im going to scrap through my desktop harddrive for full versions, and if anyone wants a skin hacked or whatever or me to do one from scratch im cool with that.

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/4306/picture1ez7.png

mastacox
04-08-2007, 02:14 PM
i didn't like the red at first, but to be honest, it's really grown on me and now i really do dig it.

X2

It was a little weird at first because YT is about as high-contrast as it get- white on black. But I'm definitely starting to like the reds and greys. :thumbup:

neliconcept
04-08-2007, 04:47 PM
http://ic3.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/025/8/b/New_Ikonboard_Skin_design_by_neliconcept.jpg

of course color contrast depends on the topic and our topic is toyota 4x4 offroading, expedition, and traveling so This last one would be more of an Irobot type color or something else.

Cebby
04-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Yo nelio. We can appreciate the board styles, but a change that drastic ain't happening - not feeling those posted anywho. Everyone fails to realize that we are both Joomla and SMF, not just a forum. I bit more complicated than a forum theme alone.

We'll offer another option for the visually impaired later - there's as many templates available out there as there are 2WD jokes. :flipoff:

j/k :angel:

neliconcept
04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
ahhhh funny. I didnt mean use a skin like that, just some color scheme ideas

Bob98SR5
04-08-2007, 10:57 PM
gents,

great feedback---some of this has already been discussed in staff/mod land, esp the color/text contrast.

my only suggestion guys, is that we let the current scheme run its course. i know alot of you are used to the old style and color scheme we created over there, but give this some time. and if the vast majority of the members and staff want a change, then we'll address it then and make an evolutionary (small) change vs a revolutionary change (change in layout)

thanks!
bob

surf4runner
04-09-2007, 01:19 PM
...finally figured out how to increase the font :screwy:

expatoz
04-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Sorry..I'm just stupid! I searched to get this thread but still don't get it. The text is tiny and even when I increase to the max of the three sizes its still too small imo.

Am I missing how to get it any bigger? It all looks like 8pt. to me. The signature line is much better but seems to me it should be around the other way - the sig line should be small font and the main text (actual post) should be larger.

Sorry!

Cebby
04-19-2007, 06:27 PM
What resolution is your monitor? We are running the following px sizes for fonts:

small - 10px
default - 11px
largest - 13px

FYI if you are running Firefox (which eats IE's lunch), you can press "ctrl +" to increase the fonts (or "ctrl -" to reduce)

calrockx
04-19-2007, 07:07 PM
or CTRL + (move mouse scroll wheel up and down)

Cebby
04-19-2007, 07:15 PM

Thanks - I didn't know that trick!!

expatoz
04-19-2007, 08:06 PM
What resolution is your monitor? We are running the following px sizes for fonts:

small - 10px
default - 11px
largest - 13px

FYI if you are running Firefox (which eats IE's lunch), you can press "ctrl +" to increase the fonts (or "ctrl -" to reduce)

1280x1040 which works fine for all other forums. And not using FF - just plain olde Windows.

Bob98SR5
04-19-2007, 08:19 PM

oh man, chuck: that trick rocks! im actually liking this site more now :hillbill:

Cebby
04-19-2007, 08:55 PM
OK, since no one was likely using the smallest font size, I've slid the settings over. Clear your cache (NOT cookies) for the settings to take effect.

Small = 11px
Default = 13px
Large = 14px

BTW, that ctrl + trick and Chuck's scroll wheel w/ctrl pressed works in IE 7 also.

blknblu
04-21-2007, 08:42 PM
OK big font and fluid screen size helped, but it's still a tough combo and here is one more vote for something else. I'd also like to point out that red/black color blindness is the most common and 80% of color blindness occurs in men. With apologies in advance to the ladies of UY, we can probably all agree that the vast majority of your audience is going to be men. Just something for you guys to chew on. I also think it's funny how many offroad vendor sites are red on black or vice versa.

Tanto
04-22-2007, 04:36 AM
I like it. Very different from the other sites.

Bob98SR5
04-22-2007, 10:52 AM
OK big font and fluid screen size helped, but it's still a tough combo and here is one more vote for something else. I'd also like to point out that red/black color blindness is the most common and 80% of color blindness occurs in men. With apologies in advance to the ladies of UY, we can probably all agree that the vast majority of your audience is going to be men. Just something for you guys to chew on. I also think it's funny how many offroad vendor sites are red on black or vice versa.

blknblu,

good point, and that has been actually brought up by one staff member who has this issue.

to all: we are taking notes on all the feedback and taking it all into consideration, so please let us know how we can improve this website/forum. but again, this palce is barely a month old, so please give it some time as well :)

bob

blknblu
04-22-2007, 12:25 PM
but again, this palce is barely a month old, so please give it some time as well :)

bob

By all means, Rome wasn't built in a day. And on your typo, did you mean "place" or "palace" :tongueout:

Bob98SR5
04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
haha, definitely meant place :confused:

Cebby
04-22-2007, 04:22 PM
FYI - the color blindness that is the most common is red/green. Roughly 8% of the male population suffers from it. The greens and red appear in shades of grey. That's one of the reasons we darkened up the grey in the message area so the contrast is greater - affording better separation of the red and grey tones for those suffering from color blindness.

blknblu
04-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah, red green is what I meant. Been a while since i studied that stuff. Still shoulda verified before I post stuff as fact. Sorry guys. BTW, spellcheck is a hoot. Some of the suggested alternatives are funny.

Bob98SR5
04-22-2007, 07:04 PM
BTW, spellcheck is a hoot. Some of the suggested alternatives are funny.

is that why texas jim's spelling is looking worse than ever?!? :hillbill:

(just bustin' your b#lls, TJ :D )

Crux
04-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Just found this site. Pretty cool.

I don't mind the colors, but I find that the header for every message in the thread takes up a lot of space.
When I scan down the thread trying to read the meat (posts) I get distracted by this taking up an inch every post :

Re: Changing page style?
« Reply #36 on: Today at 09:04 PM »

etc

Is there a way to shrink that or turn it off (user pref)?