PDA

View Full Version : Power Inverter install

BruceTS
01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Recently I decided it was time to add a power inverter. So I picked up a 1200 watt unit, which should run most equipment I have in mind. The problem is finding a place to hide the unit. I recall a write-up where one was installed behind the rear panel.

Panel removed and prepped for install, note the water line..... Next step is to remove outer vents and seal them up.....
http://bruce.calrockx.com/4runner/power/DSC07026.jpg

i removed the outlet plugs, switch and indicator light. Made a panel to mount them in, then extended the wiring, so it can be relocated. Routed a fused cable from the battery and attached a ground cable to the frame.
http://bruce.calrockx.com/4runner/power/DSC07031.jpg

Cut a hole in the panel and mounted the outlets for easy access...
http://bruce.calrockx.com/4runner/power/DSC07034.jpg

As for the power inverter it was a Harbor Freight special, which just happen to fit perfectly in the space. The unit works great, now we'll see how long it last. I do have a 1750 watt name brand unit, but it's a bit too big to locate behind the panel.

Cebby
01-14-2008, 03:25 AM
That's a nice clean install Bruce. Nice work!!

GSGALLANT
01-14-2008, 04:26 AM
I hard-mounted my inverter under the driver seat, with the outlets pointing towards the door. It works well for me there, and has come in handy on many occasions (my wife likes having her morning coffee, even when we're camping out in the middle of nowhere.)

YotaFun
01-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Very nice install bruce.
Something I may consider for myself instead of leaving it down on the side of the storage box.

4x4mike
01-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Looks like that inverter fit the spot nicely. Did you have a chance to run many things off of it before you installed it? How hot does it get? Does the unit have a fan on it? Just wondering about heat and being able to cool it while it's in use.

BruceTS
01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
It has 3 fans, and never really got that hot when I used my 4 1/2" grinder and drill, during the install. Figured the only things I plan to run off it would be my computer and a few power tools.

Because of where it's located it's well ventilated, so there should be no heat problems.

Sparman
01-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Nice Bruce. I'm planning something similar for my FJ and have a few questions for you.

What size cable did you run? What size fuse did you use? Did you run a negative cable or just ground to the sheet metal?

Thanks in advance.

Curt

surf4runner
01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
now we'll see how long it last.
i havent had much luck w/their electronic stuff...

nice work!

paddlenbike
01-17-2008, 08:05 AM
This might be a little off-topic, but has anyone had trouble running laptop computers off of the cheaper modified sine wave inverters like this one?

I searched the net and it sounds like laptops should be "fine," tools with variable speeds such as drills will probably only have on and off and electric motors will pull 20% more amperage than normal due to the modified sine wave power. Full sine wave inverters cost 3X more and it sounds like it may be unnecessary for occasional use.

Good Times
01-17-2008, 05:22 PM
[thread hijack]

I've had no problems running my mac and pc so you should be fine too.

[hijack off]

BruceTS
01-17-2008, 05:39 PM
I had no problem running my laptop, also my drill is variable speed and it worked just fine as well.

I'm running 4 guage fine multi-strand wire for both hot and ground wire.

This weekend I'll test out some other stuff to see how they work as well. Hehe I guess I need to see if a blow drier works....women and their needs.....LOL

YotaJunky
01-18-2008, 04:25 AM
Indeed, that's a clean install...

expatoz
02-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Wow! What a clean install. I thought power inverters were supposed to be mounted flat?

Bruce, is this the cable kit you bought? http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4574007?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

BruceTS
02-02-2008, 09:29 PM
yep that's the one........

considering the inverter has 3 fans, I see no reason why it would need to be mounted flat.

Erich_870
03-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Any updates Bruce?

Is your HF inverter still alive? :hillbill:

Erich